2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Just on the debate above I don't see any way this is a playoff team in 2017, but then I said the same about Miami in 2016....

The Bills have an abysmal record against good teams with winning records. (I don't have the stats but I believe they lose nearly 80% of the time against winning teams. Would appreciate it if someone can find the stat.) That is a good measure as to how good they actually are.

The system is designed for parity where the majority of teams to hover around the .500 range. That is done through scheduling. It is an artificial aid for the weaker teams to maintain interest through the appearance of a competitive balance. Or another way of putting it weaker teams are propped up while stronger teams are given more obstacles to succeed.

There are years where the results are aberrations. If you combine seasons in three or four year groupings you get a better idea where the team actually ranks. The Bills have been a consistent team. It is not too challenging to recognize where they rank.

Agree. A bit like Marrone's first year where I saw a bit of an identity despite the record staying stagnant and they reshaped the roster a bit to fit what he wanted, began to implement an aggressive pressure based D etc...

Marrone was not a very likable person. But he coached hard and his players played hard. When he left and Rex entered the door this franchise was dramatically set back. One wonders where this team would be if Marrone would have stayed longer?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have an abysmal record against good teams with winning records. (I don't have the stats but I believe they lose nearly 80% of the time against winning teams. Would appreciate it if someone can find the stat.) That is a good measure as to how good they actually are.

The system is designed for parity where the majority of teams to hover around the .500 range. That is done through scheduling. It is an artificial aid for the weaker teams to maintain interest through the appearance of a competitive balance. Or another way of putting it weaker teams are propped up while stronger teams are given more obstacles to succeed.

There are years where the results are aberrations. If you combine seasons in three or four year groupings you get a better idea where the team actually ranks. The Bills have been a consistent team. It is not too challenging to recognize where they rank.

Marrone was not a very likable person. But he coached hard and his players played hard. When he left and Rex entered the door this franchise was dramatically set back. One wonders where this team would be if Marrone would have stayed longer?

I think the defense would have remained strong for an extra year or two. But keep in mind Marrone had no idea what to do on offense. Anthony Lynn, a running backs coach guy who had never called NFL plays, was 20 times better than Nate Can't Hackett. Probably would have made playoffs in one year with Orton and great defense. Roster would still eventually fall off as Mario broke down and our poor drafting caught up to us.

Yep. It is hard to project because had Marrone stayed in 2015 who would have been the Quarterback? We know that Rex was a major factor if not the only one pushing for Tyrod. If you had the 2015 roster with Marrone as Head Coach and Schwartz as DC the Bills are a playoff team in my opinion, but you likely wouldn't have had Tyrod at QB and that might well have kept them out.

Yep. It is hard to project because had Marrone stayed in 2015 who would have been the Quarterback? We know that Rex was a major factor if not the only one pushing for Tyrod. If you had the 2015 roster with Marrone as Head Coach and Schwartz as DC the Bills are a playoff team in my opinion, but you likely wouldn't have had Tyrod at QB and that might well have kept them out.

We'd probably have Garrett Grayson instead of Ron Darby

@lancezierlein

If you missed Path to the Draft over the last three days, one of the most interesting rumors circulating is that Jaguars could go QB at #4.

That would be Trubisky. Marrone and Coughlin too conservative to go Mahomes.

I doubt Marrone was up for going the rookie route again. Nick Foles or Sam Bradford would have been his likely targets in my opinion before those two swapped teams.

Marrone is Coughlin's puppet.

I think the defense would have remained strong for an extra year or two. But keep in mind Marrone had no idea what to do on offense. Anthony Lynn, a running backs coach guy who had never called NFL plays, was 20 times better than Nate Can't Hackett. Probably would have made playoffs in one year with Orton and great defense. Roster would still eventually fall off as Mario broke down and our poor drafting caught up to us.

Hackett has deservedly received a lot of criticism for his play calling. What did he have to work with?

With respect to the highlighted section that's the essence of the problem with this team: talent evaluation and acquisition. Over time strategy will never trump the lack of talent. You are only as good as your are.

@lancezierlein

If you missed Path to the Draft over the last three days, one of the most interesting rumors circulating is that Jaguars could go QB at #4.

Wouldn't surprise me. Bortles was Osweiler-bad last year. What's becoming clear is Cleveland will have to trade up from 12 if they want Trubisky.

Wouldn't surprise me. Bortles was Osweiler-bad last year. What's becoming clear is Cleveland will have to trade up from 12 if they want Trubisky.

my uninformed opinion is that Trubisky to Browns is the new Nassib to Buffalo. A lot of assumptions based on very little actual knowledge. They might draft him, but the odds are not higher than them taking any of the other QBs or trading for a QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

my uninformed opinion is that Trubisky to Browns is the new Nassib to Buffalo. A lot of assumptions based on very little actual knowledge. They might draft him, but the odds are not higher than them taking any of the other QBs or trading for a QB.

Kind of agree with this. Wouldn't surprise me if Watson goes before Trubisky, but I think if Cleveland wants to be sure of getting their first choice, they have to trade up from 12. I think Bills would be happy to have their pick of QB's at 10.

Kind of agree with this. Wouldn't surprise me if Watson goes before Trubisky, but I think if Cleveland wants to be sure of getting their first choice, they have to trade up from 12. I think Bills would be happy to have their pick of QB's at 10.

again, no knowledge here, but if the Browns are truly analytics-driven, they won't take one at 1 or 12.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.