RD 6, Pick 218: CB Kevon Seymour, USC

MattM

Gotta credit Whaley for bringing in Fisher and Monos. These guys are good.

absolutely.

Now that Littman is gone and Overdorf watches the stacks, Bills are much better up front.

Much different than in years past

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vision can usually be corrected with simple lenses, but phorias and tropias require more sophisticated lenses called prismatic lenses.

Each eye can have its own focusing point, then the fusion of those two images can be off vertically or horizontally. The "double vision" that results can make it hard to catch a football.

But the football is also coming at you from far point to near point, adding a third axis.

If "See More" still isn't able to catch the ball, it may be that he needs to get a more sophisticated diagnosis.

Vision can usually be corrected with simple lenses, but phorias and tropias require more sophisticated lenses called prismatic lenses.

Each eye can have its own focusing point, then the fusion of those two images can be off vertically or horizontally. The "double vision" that results can make it hard to catch a football.

But the football is also coming at you from far point to near point, adding a third axis.

If "See More" still isn't able to catch the ball, it may be that he needs to get a more sophisticated diagnosis.

Ooh, that's good, 'stro.

When a CB or WR is tracking a ball well, both eyes "see" the ball (in its vertical, horizontal, and depth axes), and the brain "fuses" these images into one (called stereopsis). Then the brain gets the visual input and hands-feet-body to coordinate movement toward the catch point.

With corrected vision, Kevon will see the image of the ball much more clearly (he had 20-60, corrected to 20-20, I believe). That doesn't guarantee success, though:

That's because the eye testing is done on images not moving in space, and with the person staying still. Furthermore, Most eye doctors also immobilize the eye muscles by giving the patient eye drops, although some do stereopsis testing to detect eye muscle imbalances Before giving those drops.

Im willing to bet his vision issues go deeper than not just having 20/20 vision. The part of the article talks about how he had trouble tracking the ball over one shoulder more than the other, this suggests to me that one of his eyes isnt fully correctable and suffers from amblyopia or "lazy eye"

Im sure he has reduced depth perception. Hopefully the jump up to having his vision corrected as best as it can be will help him overcome his previous struggles.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Im willing to bet his vision issues go deeper than not just having 20/20 vision. The part of the article talks about how he had trouble tracking the ball over one shoulder more than the other, this suggests to me that one of his eyes isnt fully correctable and suffers from amblyopia or "lazy eye"

Im sure he has reduced depth perception. Hopefully the jump up to having his vision corrected as best as it can be will help him overcome his previous struggles.

So you made that diagnosis based on what you've read? Although much maligned of late I'm guessing the Bills medical staff have actually examined Seymour.

I hope this kid makes it.

So you made that diagnosis based on what you've read? Although much maligned of late I'm guessing the Bills medical staff have actually examined Seymour.

Im not making a diagnosis, I'm taking a guess based on limited information provided by the article. The quote in particular:

That qualifies as moderate visual impairment. Even worse the vision in his right eye was poorer than the vision in his left eye. The optometrist told Seymour that with impaired vision of differing degrees in both eyes that his depth perception would be severely off.
Why he was more comfortable playing left cornerback where he would track passes over his left shoulder with his less impaired left eye, than at right cornerback where his right eye was completely unreliable. Why he couldn’t find the ball in the lights during night games.

If you have a significant difference in prescription between your two eyes as a child, the brain may pick one eye over the other to develop its connections with. This may result in a loss of visual acuity in the weaker eye that can become permanent if not treated properly while you are a child. I.E. No matter what Seymour does to corrrect his vision now, his right eye probably is not capable of 20/20 like his left is, and thus he may still suffer from poor tracking and depth perception to an extent that remains to be seen.

Source: I'm an eye doctor in real life

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Im not making a diagnosis, I'm taking a guess based on limited information provided by the article. The quote in particular:

That qualifies as moderate visual impairment. Even worse the vision in his right eye was poorer than the vision in his left eye. The optometrist told Seymour that with impaired vision of differing degrees in both eyes that his depth perception would be severely off.

Why he was more comfortable playing left cornerback where he would track passes over his left shoulder with his less impaired left eye, than at right cornerback where his right eye was completely unreliable. Why he couldn’t find the ball in the lights during night games.

If you have a significant difference in prescription between your two eyes as a child, the brain may pick one eye over the other to develop its connections with. This may result in a loss of visual acuity in the weaker eye that can become permanent if not treated properly while you are a child. I.E. No matter what Seymour does to corrrect his vision now, his right eye probably is not capable of 20/20 like his left is, and thus he may still suffer from poor tracking and depth perception to an extent that remains to be seen.

Source: I'm an eye doctor in real life

Fair enough

I am definitely cheering for this kid. I thought that the story was incredible. Kudos to Dunne for another great piece telling a player's story.

These writings do wonders to get me hoping for these kids. I am really pleased Tyler is allowed to write these pieces.

Endears me even more to the team !!

Go Bills