RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

It is decided then. Kid sucks & will never amount to anything. (You've seen one you've seen 'em all)

At last. The voice of reason. :lol:

The Bills never pick QBs, they're QB Draft averse! :wallbash:

Damn! The Bills picked up a development QB - they shoulda traded up to #1 in the first so they could pick a sure-thing franchise QB. :lol:

Nothing brings out the eternal optimists and pessimists more than the annual NFL Draft.

Did I say draft? That reminds me of this: :beer:

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest wild card in the 2016 draft class?

Cardale Jones, Robert Nkemdiche and Jaylon Smith all possess enticing skill sets, but each player has serious question marks. Which draftees stand out in terms of unpredictability? Let's debate!

Bills QB Cardale Jones has the raw tools (key word: raw) to excel at the game's most crucial position

The wildest of wild cards can only be Cardale Jones. In selecting the former Ohio State quarterback with the last pick of Round 4, the Buffalo Bills added a quarterback with first-round physical tools -- from size to athleticism to arm strength -- but one who needs lots of coaching and polish. Jones couldn't even hold onto the starting job in Columbus last year, so the amount of development needed here can't be understated.

If Jones ever closes the gap between potential and performance, though, the Bills will reap high rewards for a No. 139 overall selection.

One guy had 40 something college starts, the other was 11-0 (or 12-0 cant remember) with a national championship. They were both raw coming out but the experience level is different.

I was never sold on Cardale and still not. I'd rather much have had someone that could contribute within the next year or so rather than another "QB project." Quality over quantity. Is Cardale an upgrade over EJ now? Absolutely not. Wasted pick IMO.

It is decided then. Kid sucks & will never amount to anything. (You've seen one you've seen 'em all)

Yup. Glad u see it my way...

I was never sold on Cardale and still not. I'd rather much have had someone that could contribute within the next year or so rather than another "QB project." Quality over quantity. Is Cardale an upgrade over EJ now? Absolutely not. Wasted pick IMO.

Well that's a different argument but a guy can't be a wasted pick with his physical skills. If you wanted a #2 now someone like Hogan would have fit. If you wanted a potential franchise guy it is Cardale. 3/4 of the QBs drafted will be out of the league in a couple years. Why take a guys whose ceiling is a #2 when you can take a guy that may be the best QB in the draft?

I'm also curious as to what it is that people don't like? I've seen every snap of his career and he can do things no one else in this draft can. He is raw for sure but potentially a big time player in a couple of years.

Well that's a different argument but a guy can't be a wasted pick with his physical skills. If you wanted a #2 now someone like Hogan would have fit. If you wanted a potential franchise guy it is Cardale. 3/4 of the QBs drafted will be out of the league in a couple years. Why take a guys whose ceiling is a #2 when you can take a guy that may be the best QB in the draft?

I'm also curious as to what it is that people don't like? I've seen every snap of his career and he can do things no one else in this draft can. He is raw for sure but potentially a big time player in a couple of years.

I think QuoteTheRaven83 just isn't big on looking "down the road" and wants to win now -- as we all do. GMs have to look with a longer horizon, however, and I'm in your camp that I think this was a "can't lose" pick at #139 because of the raw potential.

I think QuoteTheRaven83 just isn't big on looking "down the road" and wants to win now -- as we all do. GMs have to look with a longer horizon, however, and I'm in your camp that I think this was a "can't lose" pick at #139 because of the raw potential.

Bills need to get better at developing QBs. keeping some worthwhile projects seems to me to makes some good sense.

Not just Camp arms either !

There are so few NFL qbs to come around there is only one way to find one. keep drafting them. I think might some might miss on is that feature of this pick

This pick for this player was excellent value and just really shows Whaley and his team have a good idea of the vision and discipline they need.

I know little about college players till some of you folks start mentioning names, throw some highlites up here and then get some decent dialogue going.

and that is how i decided before the draft that Jones would be a fine pick in the fourth when they had the two in that round.and when they traded that bonus 4th away already i was still good with taking him

Even if he does not become " the Guy" in a couple years, he IS worth that shot at that risk level.

Don't waste your breath. The closest you will ever get to an answer is, "I never cared for Cardale". I know a lot of people don't like this phrase, but QuoteTheRaven's posts are a classic example of just "hating on" someone.

Don't waste your breath. The closest you will ever get to an answer is, "I never cared for Cardale". I know a lot of people don't like this phrase, but QuoteTheRaven's posts are a classic example of just "hating on" someone.

Maybe you should be more open minded?

He might be the yang to your yin.

or maybe not any of that.

Maybe you should be more open minded?

He might be the yang to your yin.

or maybe not any of that.

The statement that "X sucks and is a wasted pick" adds basically zero value on this or any other discussion board. QuoteTheRaven is free to disagree with me all he wants, but he's doing nothing more than expressing a bare opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up. In fact, even calling it an opinion is a stretch. There are lots of posters here who disagree with me regularly, but tend to offer facts or reasoning to support their position. That I can respect, and it's what this board is all about.

The statement that "X sucks and is a wasted pick" adds basically zero value on this or any other discussion board. QuoteTheRaven is free to disagree with me all he wants, but he's doing nothing more than expressing a bare opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up. In fact, even calling it an opinion is a stretch. There are lots of posters here who disagree with me regularly, but tend to offer facts or reasoning to support their position. That I can respect, and it's what this board is all about.

so you are not going to maintain some sort of hope for QuotetheRaven ?

Not everyone is as reasonable as you are. such is life, right ?

I believe you draft a guy in the top 5 rounds that can help your team immediately. I agree a guy can't be a wasted pick with physical skills if he can contribute immediately. Cardale in my eyes isn't even a number 2 QB on our roster. I don't even think he'll be one when the season starts. In the 4th round, we should've taken someone that could help us from day one.

What I don't like about Cardale?

Inexperience, inaccurate, low football IQ, doesn't see the field, product of Urban Meyer system (when has an Urban Meyer QB ever been great in the NFL). Sure he had Alex Smith but IMO he's an average QB that does enough to get by. inaccurate deepball, can't read a defense.

Sure he helped win a national championship, but you don't think they would've won with Barrett or Braxton under center? They would've had the same kind of success. Barrett was putting up ridiculous numbers before his injury.

I believe you draft a guy in the top 5 rounds that can help your team immediately. I agree a guy can't be a wasted pick with physical skills if he can contribute immediately. Cardale in my eyes isn't even a number 2 QB on our roster. I don't even think he'll be one when the season starts. In the 4th round, we should've taken someone that could help us from day one.

Inexperience, inaccurate, low football IQ, doesn't see the field, product of Urban Meyer system (when has an Urban Meyer QB ever been great in the NFL). Sure he had Alex Smith but IMO he's an average QB that does enough to get by. inaccurate deepball, can't read a defense.

Sure he helped win a national championship, but you don't think they would've won with Barrett or Braxton under center? They would've had the same kind of success. Barrett was putting up ridiculous numbers before his injury.

What kind of upside do most 4th round QBs have? Bryce Pettty, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson and Landry Jones are the 4th round QBs picked in the previous 4 drafts. Tell me which one of those guys helped as a rookie? I take Cardale over every single one of those guys.

He isn't inaccurate on the deep ball, is good under pressure, can move and has never lost. He is inexperienced and raw but he isn't lacking skills. He hasn't been asked to go through progressions (that's why he's raw). He played in a system that he isn't built for and won.

i am one of many OSU fans who don't think they would have won the NC with either Barrett or Braxton. Neither were good enough passers to create the vertical offense needed to defeat the Bama D. Edited by YoloinOhio

i am one of many OSU fans who don't think they would have won the NC with either Barrett or Braxton. Neither were good enough passers to create the vertical offense needed to defeat the Bama D.

Not just OSU fans! :) : http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/010215aaj.html

COACH SABAN: ....The one thing that the new quarterback does is he has a tremendous arm. And they have some very talented receivers. And the two things that were very apparent is those things became very apparent in the last two games because of the quarterback.

Now, they were a little different and the quarterback was a great runner, when 16 was playing, and he was a good passer. But it wasn't so obvious when you watched the film all season long that they had these great skill players that could really make plays down the field."

This is really kind of sad, since people have consistently been giving you an opportunity to be reasonable and logical and you've chosen to ignore them.

So, you would trade a QB for Lawson? Ragland? Washington? Which one of those picks would you use to get your game ready backup QB?

What player did you want the Bills to take with their round 4 compensatory pick?