Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

He has been let go by every team he has played for, including Buffalo. Buddy wanted him to play on a contract more commensurate with his talent level. He declined, and left. Buffalo took the same stance that the Jets are taking i.e. paying a player according to his talent level. Now it is portrayed by many that the standard practice of doing business in the league is a radical notion.

Denver under Elway established a value for Osweiller and refused to budge. He left. Elway also told Peyton that if he wanted to stay with the Broncos last year he had to take a pay cut. He took the cut and stayed. My point is that what is going on in NY is nothing out of the ordinary.

No team in the league has any interest in Fitz as a starter, or as a backup. That is a testament to what his actual value is. A deal will probably get done but it won't be what Fitz is currently asking for.

The last game in which the Jets' front office watched Fitz play was against Buffalo. It certainly didn't persuade anyone associated with the team that he was indispensable. Fitz is Fitz. Enough said!

He "left" the Bills? You mean he was cut. Which set us back 3 years. Biggest mistake Buddy made.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He "left" the Bills? You mean he was cut. Which set us back 3 years. Biggest mistake Buddy made.

We were mediocre with him and without him. As it stands our qb situation is better than if we retained Fitz. You don't find a better option unless you try another option. Wretched mediocrity doesn't get you anywhere meaningful. I would rather go through a number of options and fail rather than keep the status quo and know for sure that you are not going anywhere until you find a better solution at qb. Searching for solutions is more honorable than being satisfied with mediocrity!

We were mediocre with him and without him. As it stands our qb situation is better than if we retained Fitz. You don't find a better option unless you try another option. Wretched mediocrity doesn't get you anywhere meaningful. I would rather go through a number of options and fail rather than keep the status quo and know for sure that you are not going anywhere until you find a better solution at qb. Searching for solutions is more honorable than being satisfied with mediocrity!

We were worse at QB in both 2013 and 2014 without Fitz.

There was no reason we couldn't search for a solution while retaining a safe and known quantity. Besides being stupid.

It's the exact reason the Jets should re-sign him.

Edited by FireChan

We were worse at QB in both 2013 and 2014 without Fitz.

There was no reason we couldn't search for a solution while retaining a safe and known quantity. Besides being stupid.

It's the exact reason the Jets should re-sign him.

Better w fitz. Lololol

Losing games 55-0 was fun.

I can't believe Fitz would turn down $12M at this point in his career. Chan , Marshall , Decker , Forte , that's the perfect storm for him to close out .

Don't they also have Devin Smith, who was injured last year? They definitely have some weapons.

Better w fitz. Lololol

Losing games 55-0 was fun.

We had one of the worst defenses of all time. With a crazy HC.

If you can't accept that Fitz was, is and always will be better than EJ by now, there is no hope for you.

Edited by FireChan

Don't they also have Devin Smith, who was injured last year? They definitely have some weapons.

Smith is a deep threat. Similar player to Listenbee. Fitz can't throw deep. If Smith can develop into a more well-rounded WR, it would help Fitz. Smith is a better fit for geno tbh.

It's not baffling at all; don't believe I indicated any such thing. However, it is clear he'd prefer to play than retire.

What's baffling are the people who can't understand why the Jets aren't throwing $15-$18M a year at that limited skill set.

Ah ha! That I can understand, The Jets not wanting to shell out large for a guy that can't throw deep and is Captain Pick Six. Fitz is probably smart enough to realize his limitations and would like to play but knows at the end of the day he is mid-tier at best. With the CTE stuff out there and other types of injuries that could wreck a millionaire's life, he ain't doing it on the cheap. One more angle to this that I see is, how much is the state income tax in New York and what is the real value of the contract after taxes? 12 million after taxes looks like what?

Jake the Snake walked away, I think Fitz is the one with leverage. He is the one that can get up from the table. The Jets can't, they have backed themselves into a corner. They have to play ball, Fitz doesn't. All of those game ending drops, picks and losses have to take a toll on a man's psyche.

He has been let go by every team he has played for, including Buffalo. Buddy wanted him to play on a contract more commensurate with his talent level. He declined, and left. Buffalo took the same stance that the Jets are taking i.e. paying a player according to his talent level. Now it is portrayed by many that the standard practice of doing business in the league is a radical notion.

Denver under Elway established a value for Osweiller and refused to budge. He left. Elway also told Peyton that if he wanted to stay with the Broncos last year he had to take a pay cut. He took the cut and stayed. My point is that what is going on in NY is nothing out of the ordinary.

No team in the league has any interest in Fitz as a starter, or as a backup. That is a testament to what his actual value is. A deal will probably get done but it won't be what Fitz is currently asking for.

The last game in which the Jets' front office watched Fitz play was against Buffalo. It certainly didn't persuade anyone associated with the team that he was indispensable. Fitz is Fitz. Enough said!

He was NOT let go by every team he played for, certainly not by Jest - his contract expired and they are trying to sign him to a new contract.

You have NO evidence that no team would want him as a backup, it is just your theory.

Peyton's situation is applicable to Buffalo situation for he was under contract and could be cut. Peyton choose to stay and Fitz choose to leave influenced partly by that "prank" call.

And obviously "Enough said!" is NOT enough since you keep posting on subject.

We had one of the worst defenses of all time. With a crazy HC.

If you can't accept that Fitz was, is and always will be better than EJ by now, there is no hope for you.

There's no help for you if you still he's a viable starter for the Bills.

The guys 37-55 or something like that. He's crap.

Smith is a deep threat. Similar player to Listenbee. Fitz can't throw deep. If Smith can develop into a more well-rounded WR, it would help Fitz. Smith is a better fit for geno tbh.

Fitz CAN throw deep and did so last year but it is NOT his specialty; Falsifying information does not aid in discussions.

Ah ha! That I can understand, The Jets not wanting to shell out large for a guy that can't throw deep and is Captain Pick Six. Fitz is probably smart enough to realize his limitations and would like to play but knows at the end of the day he is mid-tier at best. With the CTE stuff out there and other types of injuries that could wreck a millionaire's life, he ain't doing it on the cheap. One more angle to this that I see is, how much is the state income tax in New York and what is the real value of the contract after taxes? 12 million after taxes looks like what?

Jake the Snake walked away, I think Fitz is the one with leverage. He is the one that can get up from the table. The Jets can't, they have backed themselves into a corner. They have to play ball, Fitz doesn't. All of those game ending drops, picks and losses have to take a toll on a man's psyche.

Jest play in NJ not NY - taxes are based on NJ tax rate not NY.

There's no help for you if you still he's a viable starter for the Bills.

The guys 37-55 or something like that. He's crap.

He was is and always will be a more viable starter than EJ. Period. Play the best players you can.

He was is and always will be a more viable starter than EJ. Period. Play the best players you can.

Fitz has established the quality of player that he is. The chances he takes a team to the playoffs, much less consistently, are slim to none. And without a crystal ball to know how a newcomer will turn out, it doesn't mean you pay him a ton of money just to keep him around. Last year the Jets got a great deal with him. Paying him in the mid-teens is a really bad deal.

Fitz has established the quality of player that he is. The chances he takes a team to the playoffs, much less consistently, are slim to none. And without a crystal ball to know how a newcomer will turn out, it doesn't mean you pay him a ton of money just to keep him around. Last year the Jets got a great deal with him. Paying him in the mid-teens is a really bad deal.

Who will they be unable to sign for that money that would win them more games than Fitz?

Why not do exactly what the Seahawks did? Overpay a known quantity, draft a guy, and if the drafted guy looks like a star, play him. If not, play the best QB on the roster.

Who will they be unable to sign for that money that would win them more games than Fitz?

Why not do exactly what the Seahawks did? Overpay a known quantity, draft a guy, and if the drafted guy looks like a star, play him. If not, play the best QB on the roster.

How many games do you envision Fitz winning this year? Do you see the Jets making the playoffs?

Flynn ended up getting just $8M from the Seahawks. I'm sure they'd take a deal from Fitz were he just made $8M even after cutting him after a year (if not less like in Flynn's case).

How many games do you envision Fitz winning this year? Do you see the Jets making the playoffs?

Flynn ended up getting just $8M from the Seahawks. I'm sure they'd take a deal from Fitz were he just made $8M even after cutting him after a year (if not less like in Flynn's case).

Fitz will win more than Geno and co. Probably 8-11 barring catastrophe. Possibly. I see them not making it with Geno and co.

Flynn was a worse QB they overpaid for. Flynn can't carry Fitzy's jock. The concept however, is the same.

I'm asking again what is the huge opportunity cost with paying Fitz?

Fitz CAN throw deep and did so last year but it is NOT his specialty; Falsifying information does not aid in discussions.

Fitz COULDN'T throw deep.........he used to have to hurl himself into anything over 20 yards.......which made him very wild intermediate and near hopeless on anything long.

Somehow he has increased his arm strength and subsequently gotten better at least in the intermediate throws........which guys like Marshall and Decker can turn into RAC yards.

He still doesn't have the kind of cannon arm that NFL rosters are filled with nowadays but he is a BETTER QB than he was in Buffalo.

The question is still why does he lock up in the clutch so often?

And the argument that his high quality receivers are the only reason he is even worthy of a starting job might not be completely accurate.

Look at what he did with that turd Stevie Johnson in Buffalo.

3 straight 1,000 yard seasons.......and he's been half that player since Fitz.

That's not to say that they don't make him much better, they certainly do........but he is good for them too.

He throws them the ball so that they can make plays on it.....same as he did with SJ13......they are comfortable with him like they weren't with more talented passers like Cutler, McCown or Geno.

Edited by #BADOL

Jest play in NJ not NY - taxes are based on NJ tax rate not NY.

Throwing deep and hitting a few passes and throwing deep well are two different things. He is terrible at deep balls. They are typically underthrown, take too long to get there and hang up in the air. I'd bet money Fitz has one of the worst completion percentages and QB Ratings on passes over 20 yards in the NFL throughout his career. How many times were receivers running wide open by 5+ yards with the Bills only to see the ball aT underthrown and picked? Too many to count.

Fitz will win more than Geno and co. Probably 8-11 barring catastrophe. Possibly. I see them not making it with Geno and co.

Flynn was a worse QB they overpaid for. Flynn can't carry Fitzy's jock. The concept however, is the same.

I'm asking again what is the huge opportunity cost with paying Fitz?

I'd be surprised if the Jets won more than 8 games. Their schedule is much tougher than last year.

And Flynn's deal averaged just $7M/year. Fitz is looking for twice that amount.