Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly - remember the GM got canned as well but you never see posts blaming HIM for team but John Idzik did not get a new GM position.

much more to that story. as is true more often than not.

I have reason no to defend Ryan either.

I view him as he is as The Bills HC.

and he better get this right .

I like JohnC, but you're not going to get anywhere with him regarding Rex unless the Bills become world-beaters this season. He hates the guy with a passion.

The Bills don't have to become world-beaters this season or next for me to make an evaluation of a person who has been a HC for seven years. Last year more than ever reinforced my opinion on Rex. A Rex Ryan team is not a disciplined and smart team. It reflects him. The manner in which he handled and tolerated Mario was inexplicable. That's not good coaching.

Facts vs. opinion.

Rex's record as a HC is not an opinion. It is a fact.

The off-season additions helped more than coaching.

In the NFL of today few teams keep their rosters in tact because of the cap and contract issues. That is the norm in the NFL. It is an inescapable part of the landscape. Few teams go without a number of additions and subtractions. If you want to make the weak argument that the Jets dramatically improved because of roster additions compared to what Rex had to work with in his last year with the Jets, then you have to acknowledge that Rex took over a team that was better than it was the prior year. The result was that it underachieved. Coaching matters! No more excuses!

Edited by JohnC

Ok, I think I understand coaching now. When you start Geno Smith 12 times and your record is 4-12, you suck as a coach. It's not the crappy QB who threw 3 picks against the Bills and looked like a Pop Warner QB, it was Rex who made those reads and throws. Got it. And it's not the massive upgrade, relatively speaking, to Fitzpatrick in 2015 that's even remotely responsible for the better record, it's the coach. Got that too.

So why does Belichek ever lose a game?

Anyone who for comparison brings up the name of Belichick when Rex's coaching competence is being discussed should be reported to Beerball for immediate discipline for outlandish commentary.

Rex = afc championship games

Bowles -= no playoffs

What are you talking about ?

With the much maligned Mark Sanchez at QB no less!

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that Idzik ruined that team just isn't interested in facts.

I think the Jets had been counting on unloading Wilkerson's cap space in a trade and haven't been able to move him. Personally I would love to see them be able to deal him in order to sign fitz. Talk about going backwards.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In the NFL of today few teams keep their rosters in tact because of the cap and contract issues. That is the norm in the NFL. It is an inescapable part of the landscape. Few teams go without a number of additions and subtractions. If you want to make the weak argument that the Jets dramatically improved because of roster additions compared to what Rex had to work with in his last year with the Jets, then you have to acknowledge that Rex took over a team that was better than it was the prior year. The result was that it underachieved. Coaching matters! No more excuses!

Who was the Jets leading WR in 2015? Starting QB? Free agent pickups? The decent draft they finally had? It all just boils down to the coach because it suits your agenda. They will be better with Matt Forte too. They are making "win now" roster moves, it isn't just Bowles the wonder coach. My opinion is that they won't end up winning anything in the end, but they will be tough competition until those players go over the hill.

I think the Jets had been counting on unloading Wilkerson's cap space in a trade and haven't been able to move him. Personally I would love to see them be able to deal him in order to sign fitz. Talk about going backwards.

browns, niners, and jags are the 3 teams with most cap space. then titans bears and giants.

browns, niners, and jags are the 3 teams with most cap space. then titans bears and giants.

the problem with trading him is he's on the franchise tag. The team who trades for him would need to know they will be able to sign him to a long term deal or it's a one year rental before he hits FA. Even if they could give him the amount he wants, he would have to want to go to that team too or he won't agree to a long term deal. This makes the list of potential trade partners slim. His goal is to get to FA. Edited by YoloinOhio

the problem with trading him is he's on the franchise tag. The team who trades for him would need to know they will be able to sign him to a long term deal or it's a one year rental before he hits FA. Even if they could give him the amount he wants, he would have to want to go to that team too or he won't agree to a long term deal. This makes the list of potential trade partners slim. His goal is to get to FA.

This is an interesting situation to me. The Jest won't trade Wilkerson (except for a first and more). They're not even serious about that because they haven't given his agent permission to negotiate a LTD with other teams. They don't have the cap space to re-sign Fitz - even at their current offer - without dealing Wilkerson (or possibly signing him to a LTD), but say they want him to be their QB. They seem far apart with Wilkerson and I don't think they're even negotiating with him at is point.

I believe the deadline for negotiations with franchise tagged players is June 15th (or thereabouts). If he doesn't sign a LTD before then he will be playing under the tag this season and that money is locked up. I don't know what they'd do for a QB at that point. Weird situation.

With the much maligned Mark Sanchez at QB no less!

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that Idzik ruined that team just isn't interested in facts.

Idzik was hired for the 2013 season. Prior to his "ruining that team", the Jets had gone from 9-7, 11-5 (and consecutive AFCC appearances) to 8-8 and 6-10.

Who ruined those AFCC teams before Idzik became Rex's fall guy? Didn't Idzik draft Geno---the QB who the new GM just can't wait to see play--the guy the Jets could do without Fitz for?

Keeping Wilkerson so he can participate on a team that gets 6 wins with Geno/Petty/Hack is real progress, in contrast.

This is an interesting situation to me. The Jest won't trade Wilkerson (except for a first and more). They're not even serious about that because they haven't given his agent permission to negotiate a LTD with other teams. They don't have the cap space to re-sign Fitz - even at their current offer - without dealing Wilkerson (or possibly signing him to a LTD), but say they want him to be their QB. They seem far apart with Wilkerson and I don't think they're even negotiating with him at is point.

I believe the deadline for negotiations with franchise tagged players is June 15th (or thereabouts). If he doesn't sign a LTD before then he will be playing under the tag this season and that money is locked up. I don't know what they'd do for a QB at that point. Weird situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25480755/key-nfl-dates-for-2016-franchise-or-transition-tag-deadline-is-march-1

July 15: 4 p.m. ET, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2016 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular season game.