Philly trades for #2!

FireChan

Cleveland needs a lot. I'd say taking Goff or Wentz gives them at least a vision. More importantly for that team getting a QB at the top gives the fans some hope. Some reason to go to games. Maybe they're sold on Bob Griffin but hypothetically they go 5-11 pick top 5 and take a QB at top of 2nd rd who plays sparingly they're in the market at top of 2017 draft.

On a side note if the Titans were offered what the Browns were I'd love the deal.

that is pretty much what the media and many fans are saying. They really wanted one of the top 2 QBs.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these people predicting disaster for the Browns are acting as if Ray Farmer is still the gm. He isn't. I mean, it's a good, funny story line and all ("factory of sadness"), but there are loads of cases in which teams emerge out of years-long runs of awfulness and become good (eg, the early 1970s Steelers) and vice versa (the post-2002 Raiders). The Browns are likely to improve because the people running the team are actually smart. I expect DePodesta to succeed, and I sort of hope he does because the league could use some fresh thinking and innovation.

Edited by dave mcbride

All these people predicting disaster for the Browns are acting as if Ray Farmer is still the gm. He isn't. I mean, it's a good, funny story line and all ("factory of sadness"), but there are loads of cases in which teams emerge out of years-long runs of awfulness and become good (eg, the early 1970s Steelers) and vice versa (the post-2002 Raiders). The Browns are likely to improve because the people running the team are actually smart. I expect DePodesta to succeed, and I sort of hope he does because the league could use some fresh thinking and innovation.

They have no GM.

That's a real problem

I don't get the move unless they're putting all their eggs in the Deshaun Watson basket.

i don't think they are, but they could end up with him. I think their analytics guys determined neither one of the QBs was worth one of the top 2 picks, so they dealt it. And they are in a 2-4 year rebuild. It's almost like an expansion team. They have a few good players but NO depth. They didn't do anything in FA and they just need as many players as they can get that fit their new system. I still think they take a QB this year in the first 2 rounds but they currently have 3 QBs on 2 year or longer deals. Plus Terrell Pryor at WR who could be the #3/emergency QB if needed.

Watson is being seriously overrated as an NFL prospect. He's a hell of a college QB, but until he shows he can go to a second read I won't be sold at all. Also I suspect Clemson listing him as 6'2" is generous. But there's a whole year to see how he progresses and measures.

The Browns are certainly in full, ground up rebuild mode. You got that right. That's what needed to be done and hopefully they've got the right group to do that. The call on bypassing Wentz/Goff to trade down wasn't made by the "analytics guys" though. That was Hue's call. If he had wanted one, they'd have stayed put. I think he's intrigued by RG3, who apparently has looked tremendous in their limited time together, and by developing another raw QB prospect. Whether that's Lynch, Cook, Jones, Brissett or somebody else I don't know.

Watson is being seriously overrated as an NFL prospect. He's a hell of a college QB, but until he shows he can go to a second read I won't be sold at all. Also I suspect Clemson listing him as 6'2" is generous. But there's a whole year to see how he progresses and measures.

The Browns are certainly in full, ground up rebuild mode. You got that right. That's what needed to be done and hopefully they've got the right group to do that. The call on bypassing Wentz/Goff to trade down wasn't made by the "analytics guys" though. That was Hue's call. If he had wanted one, they'd have stayed put. I think he's intrigued by RG3, who apparently has looked tremendous in their limited time together, and by developing another raw QB prospect. Whether that's Lynch, Cook, Jones, Brissett or somebody else I don't know.

i heard that Hue has wanted Connor Cook all along. Fwiw

i heard that Hue has wanted Connor Cook all along. Fwiw

I heard the same by the way

That's very possible. They've met with him at least 3 times. He's a local kid from Hinkley, OH (not that that should be a factor). I keep thinking 31 to Denver is a likely spot for Cook too. He worries me as a prospect though.

That's very possible. They've met with him at least 3 times. He's a local kid from Hinkley, OH (not that that should be a factor). I keep thinking 31 to Denver is a likely spot for Cook too. He worries me as a prospect though.

If I'm calling my shot, I'm guessing Cleveland moves back into round 1 (say GB, KC, or Seattle) to get Cook ahead of Arizona and Denver--that way they get him on a 5-year deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if Browns trade down again from #8, and that the Bills would be potential partner if Jack is still available at #8. For all the picks Browns got for trading down from #2, they didn't get an extra 2nd rounder this year.

Yeah, I think that's the expectation among most Browns fans. They're expecting another trade back to between 15 and 20, depending upon how the draft shakes out.

If I'm calling my shot, I'm guessing Cleveland moves back into round 1 (say GB, KC, or Seattle) to get Cook ahead of Arizona and Denver--that way they get him on a 5-year deal.

That's very reasonable. They could come up from 32 as well.

Yeah, I think that's the expectation among most Browns fans. They're expecting another trade back to between 15 and 20, depending upon how the draft shakes out.

That's very reasonable. They could come up from 32 as well.

Yeah--that's what I meant: up from 32 to get Cook

they certainly have the ammunition to outbid everyone whenever they want to move up