Should Bills look at Dak Prescott as QB pick?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/15210152/jon-gruden-top-takeaways-qb-camps-dak-prescott-paxton-lynch-nfl-draft-2016

1. Prescott is the No. 1 dual-threat QB in this draft, hands down

Prescott reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He is a 230-pound running back playing the quarterback position. He can run over defenders when needed and also hurt defenses throwing the ball all over the field. These are both dynamic dual-threat talents with exceptional production at the college level. There can be a significant adjustment period, but that combination is a very good one in today's game.

No I do not have ESPN Insider for rest of article.

Bills have a starting QB this season (unless Tyrod holds out) and an offense which is tooled to support QB with a heavy run offense; they have an OC who is used to dealing with QBs are runners. Thinking Dak would be a good fit so the offense would not need to be retooled when he comes in as relief.

I loved Dak the college player. I was at the game in Death Valley where he destroyed LSU. I don't care for Dak the pro prospect. He doesn't throw the ball well enough for me. He reminds me of Tebow a little. He was a great college player and leader but a suspect NFL candidate IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I loved Dak the college player. I was at the game in Death Valley where he destroyed LSU. I don't care for Dak the pro prospect. He doesn't throw the ball wel enough for me. He reminds me of Tebow a little. He was a great college player and leader but a suspect NFL candidate IMO.

Lets say for arguement sake that he does have "a little Tebow in him"

I think we are talking about different paths to NFL productivity.....much like Tyrod Taylor had a different path to NFL productivity.......

Tebow was drafted high and immediately relied upon......lots of fanfare around him.....how much would he have benefited from being out of the limelight for a while and just quietly working on his game with some QB coach somewhere before stepping on a NFL field (for that matter how much would it have benefited EJ Manuel)

This is where I think Dac could be put in a position of success.......you bring him along slowly......that years time could make a huge difference in NFL success or bust

jmo....

Edited by John from Hemet

Lets say for arguement sake that he does have "a little Tebow in him"

I think we are talking about different paths to NFL productivity.....much like Tyrod Taylor had a different path to NFL productivity.......

Tebow was drafted high and immediately relied upon......lots of fanfare around him.....how much would he have benefited from being out of the limelight for a while and just quietly working on his game with some QB coach somewhere before stepping on a NFL field (for that matter how much would it have benefited EJ Manuel)

This is where I think Dac could be put in a position of success.......you bring him along slowly......that years time could make a huge difference in NFL success or bust

jmo....

None, Tebow still would of stunk!

As for Prescott, I'm not sure about him. He is worth a fifth rounder to see.

Yes they should.

The Bills would be absolute fools to not look into every option at the QB position.

We still don't have a top flight qb on our roster imo. And until we do the Bills should exhaust every option available to them to find that guy. Until they do the playoffs will remain only a wish and not a reality

Yes they should.

The Bills would be absolute fools to not look into every option at the QB position.

We still don't have a top flight qb on our roster imo. And until we do the Bills should exhaust every option available to them to find that guy. Until they do the playoffs will remain only a wish and not a reality.

None, Tebow still would of stunk!

As for Prescott, I'm not sure about him. He is worth a fifth rounder to see.

We actually dont know that Tebow still would have stunk

Its much like Tyrod Taylor....who had some weaknesses in his game when he was drafted.....but got to sit and learn behind a franchise QB and everyone is liked "where did this guy come from"

Like a wine needing time to ferment

We actually dont know that Tebow still would have stunk

Its much like Tyrod Taylor....who had some weaknesses in his game when he was drafted.....but got to sit and learn behind a franchise QB and everyone is liked "where did this guy come from"

Like a wine needing time to ferment

John, you are one of the more level headed posters and I respect your opinion.

Letting A wine ferment will produce a better product if the right grapes are being allowed to age. Otherwise you end up with vinegar. Much like Tebow.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I've watched a lot of Dak. He clearly has a ton of arm strength and talent. When he throws the ball, it gets where it's going in a hurry. Beautiful looking deep ball. I can see why people like him. What is concerning is that he doesn't seem to have very good ball placement on anything over 15 yards.

He would make, in my opinion, a great west coast offense QB. He's great on short routes. But NFL defenses would be able to take that away from him. He would need to develop his intermediate and long route accuracy. I just don't know if that can be coached.

Definitely some positives in his game, but I wouldn't be confident in him as a starter.

My thoughts are a little different.

There were games last year when our opponents clearly respected our run game but did not respect our passing game.

Roman will always find ways to get yards on the ground. But to score points, we can't be one dimensional. We need to be able to throw long, short, outside and over the middle. We've got to make the opposing D defend the whole field.

Dak could - if he ever actually lined up - help us with what we're already good at. He would not be a nice complementary piece offering a strength where we currently have a weakness.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Yes. This year reminds me of 2007 at the QB position. Recall in 2007 JP was coming off his one good year. In 06 JP had a plus TD ratio a respectable 85 rating started every game and had the team picked to go 3-13 at 7-7 in the hunt down the stretch. Even though JP was seen as upward trending starter material the brass suspected he was missing that je ne sais quoi and we ended up up Bill Walsh's guy Trent. Trent did not work out of course, but for some tiime made us all feel better about ourselves.

My thoughts are a little different.

There were games last year when our opponents clearly respected our run game but did not respect our passing game.

Roman will always find ways to get yards on the ground. But to score points, we can't be one dimensional. We need to be able to throw long, short, outside and over the middle. We've got to make the opposing D defend the whole field.

Dak could - if he ever actually lined up - help us with what we're already good at. He would not be a nice complementary piece offering a strength where we currently have a weakness.

i think that's why teams often go with a different type of backup rather than having a lesser version of the starter...because though they may need to call a different set of plays when he's in, it puts pressure on the DC and opponent to adjust to the different style if the starter goes out.

I loved Dak the college player. I was at the game in Death Valley where he destroyed LSU. I don't care for Dak the pro prospect. He doesn't throw the ball wel enough for me. He reminds me of Tebow a little. He was a great college player and leader but a suspect NFL candidate IMO.

This

He's not my favorite...

At the very least I think it will be a couple years before you want to put him out there...

I give him credit for improving in College...But he never seemed like an NFL prospect to me...Of course I'm wrong all the time...So... B-)

John, you are one of the more level headed posters and I respect your opinion.

Letting A wine ferment will produce a better product if the right grapes are being allowed to age. Otherwise you end you with vinegar. Much like Tebow.

As much as I feel that Tebow would have been better served in a different position (TE), I agree with John that we'll never know as his growth was stunted by being thrown into the fire and by being drafted in the 1st. If you reach for a guy in the 1st and he is not ready, then throw him into fire, you screw him permanently (just look at EJ)