Ranking the GMs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, by what's said on here, I thought Whaley would have been #1 or #32.

Middle of the pack seems about right.

Yeah, I think that I would have him closer to 12ish but the results have varied. They acted as if McCoy and Watkins weren't good moves. It was a little weird in the explanation. I am a believer that the talent is there, the coaching is not (except Roman is pretty good). The Bills didn't finish 9-7 with 9-7 talent IMO. They underachieved.

Yeah, I think that I would have him closer to 12ish but the results have varied. They acted as if McCoy and Watkins weren't good moves. It was a little weird in the explanation. I am a believer that the talent is there, the coaching is not (except Roman is pretty good). The Bills didn't finish 9-7 with 9-7 talent IMO. They underachieved.

I agree with all this, and I don't think bringing Rob in will fix anything but his bank balance. :(

The Pats have been a top team for a long time, people trust their moves than a perennial loser, such as ourselves. Not sure why anyone would be surprised.

I would say though it is the opposite of what I said about us earlier. I don't know if the Bills would trade their roster for the Pats (excluding Brady). The roster for the Bills isn't the problem. The design gets the least out of the talent. The Pats do the reverse. They make the most out of everyone. They put people in position to succeed. They are so incredibly well coached.

They make the most out of everyone. They put people in position to succeed. They are so incredibly well coached.

You mean like our defense last year? Oh.......never mind.

(Yes, I'm still bitter.)

This is a make or break draft for Whaley. He really needs to hit big on at least two picks with a solid role player to boot if this team is to step forward this year. The Bills do not have glaring ho,Es in the roster this year, as they have in years past. However, the D front 7 is hardly what it was supposed to be given the money invested.

I see it a little different in 12th to 13th makes sense to me. He's bringing the talent, and the coaching has to improve at least on defense. I believe in Whaley. I don't think he is the best in the league or even top 7 right now, but he has made more good decisions than bad, and every GM misses on some pics.

I trust we will get three starters from this draft. I'd also like to see what Miller does this year with an off season, TT, and was it a fluke on the concussion for Karlos.

After months of thinking about it, I want Rex to be all in on his defense. If he is as good as he thinks, then we will ascend not trying to go both ways. Either his system can still work or the criticisms other coaches have figured him out will come to light this season. If we had a more promising season last year at say 10-6 and even missed the playoffs, I would support giving Rex time. I believe we regressed and had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. If Rex is really a good head coach, then he will make strides in year 2 even with an on paper tougher schedule.

Waiting 6 rounds to draft the best QB of all time does not make you a great GM. The Patriots are all Brady and nothing else. I give BB credit for letting go of players early and having no soul. That is what is needed in a salary cap world. For that he deserves much credit. But his FA and draft skills are no better than middle of the road.

Waiting 6 rounds to draft the best QB of all time does not make you a great GM. The Patriots are all Brady and nothing else. I give BB credit for letting go of players early and having no soul. That is what is needed in a salary cap world. For that he deserves much credit. But his FA and draft skills are no better than middle of the road.

But let's not pretend that BB's coaching skills aren't also the reason why they win. I agree his tenure as a GM is not very impressive, but that's balanced out by the fact he's the league's best coach. It's not just Brady. It's Brady and BB.

I agree with your Dragonborn (although I would add Gronk). Really well said IMO Edited by Kirby Jackson

All Brady and nothing else? They won 11 games with Matt freaking Cassle. We hate the Patriots for a reason...if it was just the 6th round pick out of Michigan beating us down the hate wouldn't be so deep. The Pats function like a well oiled machine from top to bottom, they have mastered the art of bending the rules, compiling draft picks, and getting players to sign deals that must drive the players association nuts.

All Brady and nothing else?

Yeah, the "all Brady" mantra is nonsense. That roster is packed with talented players that fit their system. When they started getting injuries in the second half of the season, they limped to a 4-4 record -- and there wasn't a thing Brady could do about it.

Back on topic, I think that's a generous ranking for Whaley.

Yeah, the "all Brady" mantra is nonsense. That roster is packed with talented players that fit their system. When they started getting injuries in the second half of the season, they limped to a 4-4 record -- and there wasn't a thing Brady could do about it.

Back on topic, I think that's a generous ranking for Whaley.

I guess this is why I kind of agree with Dragonborn: I like the Bills talent more at RB, OL, DL, WR and DBs. New England's system is amazing and they get guys like Julian Edleman to be difference makers. IMO, that falls more on the system than the scouting but I guess the opposite argument could be made.

Got to admit, I think Reggie McKenzie should be higher. I know that with the Raiders (much like Whaley and the Bills), it has to bear fruit soon but the moves that Reggie has made recently have put them in a position for sustainable success for a long time. I think people forget just how terrible that roster was when he took over.