Former Saints DE Will Smith Shot and Killed in New Orleans

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N. O.

Having a rough time lately.

I had no idea how much gun violence till scrolling the news.

I don't enough why. I am ashamed society has allowed this type of insanity to be nearly expected.

Those of you that spoke to road rage. I have had a couple incidents the last couple years. Significant for Police involvement. and all that it in my little town.

I have no idea why people get out their vehicles and what they can be thinking when they approach another person in anger.

and now one person is dead more are traumatized and another could be in jail for a lifetime.

Just a shame all around

I'm with Payton. I hate guns too. For the first time in my entire life, I went to the movies and legitimately looked around the theatre several times to make sure the sounds from the movie weren't gunshots. Its sad that I should have to feel that way

So much violence

"Writing is supposed to be therapeutic. Finding out at midnight that a man who was like family was murdered will have you searching for any therapy imaginable. Today was a long day after a sleepless night of worry and sadness. To hear Will Smith was gunned down and no longer with us is unimaginable. It shouldn't take a tragedy to make us wish we would have said certain things while we had the chance. Even though we texted pretty frequently my regret is not telling Will I appreciated him and loved him. I tried to show it but never said it directly so here it goes....

"Will I loved the person you were off the field in our talks and appreciated the selfless teammate you were on the field. Many people judge double digit sacks as the measuring stick for defensive ends. What those people don't know is you put those numbers on the back burner and played the run just as well as the pass for the betterment of our defense. I promise you it didn't go unnoticed and I appreciate you for it. I loved how low key you were and when you said something we listened because we knew it came from your heart. You were our captain, our rock, and anchor during our run and I appreciate all the little things you did to help us succeed.

"Will as I reflect on our 7 years together only a handful of moments involve actually playing football. Coach Payton put a plan in place and it was a place for guys like us to thrive. We won a lot of big games with our formula of being tough, selfless, smart, and that was fulfilling. I remember from the moment I got off the plane after the trade from the Dallas Cowboys you welcomed me with open arms right there at training camp in the locker room at Millsaps College. I noticed and I appreciated it. Our friendship would grow over the next seven years. We lived in the same subdivision. We walked our kids around to the same neighborhoods on Halloween to trick or treat and followed each other to and from work almost daily.

"We shared an aisle in front of the plane on every road game. I loved our banter about college football traveling to the away games and our discussions about our own games on the way back home. I appreciated when you would grab me an extra Popeyes apple pie from the front of the plane. We would always laugh about how much we loved those apple pies! It was always funny but we looked out for one another and made sure nobody took them all before we got one for one another!

"I loved our time together off the field in the mornings in the locker room. You grabbed your morning cup of coffee (straw in the mouth) and we plopped down with our teammates on the couch, watched tv, and just BS'd until the defensive meeting started. I loved near the end of our careers we did our "old man" weight room workout to save our joints. Whether it was on the bike and watching ESPN or camping out and having some Gatorade we always had a debate to settle LOL. Different political views usually the topic of conversation or American history we had some fun talks and I appreciated all of them.

"I loved how we stayed in the hotel meal room well after snack the night before games and all sat around the table and just talked. I loved and appreciated how we stayed in touch post career with Vilma, McCray, Herring, etc. thru mass text and ribbed one another about our college teams and conferences. I could always envision thru text that sly grin you would have as we took a shot at your Buckeyes. I was small town Nebraska and you were a proud New Yorker and we found plenty to talk about and I loved that.

"Will Smith you will be missed and you made the world a much better place. I am lucky for having the opportunity to have you in my life. The game of football gave us all many great things but nothing better than the relationships we formed. I don't have many regrets in the 10 years I played and the 7 years we played together but what I did realize today is that life is fragile and I need to tell all my teammates and coaches I love them and appreciate them. Your memory will be with us forever. I pray for your lovely wife and beautiful children that they can manage this tragedy and find peace.

"Thank you Will Smith for the man you were as a teammate, friend, father, husband and son..... I love and appreciate you."

-Scott Shanle

I have a feeling there is more to the story than we know. Especially when they said that the killers father was gunned down by police in which Smith was a good friend of.

I find it odd that the hummer breaks in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. Also, lets say bumped a little, this is nothing to kill for.

I have a feeling there is more to the story than we know. Especially when they said that the killers father was gunned down by police in which Smith was a good friend of.

I find it odd that the hummer breaks in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. Also, lets say bumped a little, this is nothing to kill for.

crazy situation. hummer brakes to get smith off his bumper...smith hits his bumber. hummer tries to pull over and ends up chasing smith and hits him while in pursuit. a fight starts and both guys claim to have a gun...one guy lost. as the chase is going on imagine both guys getting more enraged and then another accident just enrages them more. if smith pulled over to begin with he probably lives.

Still no reason to kill someone.

i dont think anyone has implied it is anywhere that i have read about this.

but if smith was the initial issue, and he took off to avoid DUI (ie was impaired), and then after they get into another accident, two angry and possibly impaired men get in a fight and being young millionaires in a city with a lot of crime both have weapons for protection.... the story seems to be coming into view.

depending on the details, legally it could break a lot of different ways still. if smith says he has a gun and possibly is pulling it out when shot, it sure does change perception some. that it ever got there is obviously ridiculous though.

Edited by NoSaint

i dont think anyone has implied it is anywhere that i have read about this.

but if smith was the initial issue, and he took off to avoid DUI (ie was impaired), and then after they get into another accident, two angry and possibly impaired men get in a fight and being young millionaires in a city with a lot of crime both have weapons for protection.... the story seems to be coming into view.

depending on the details, legally it could break a lot of different ways still. if smith says he has a gun and possibly is pulling it out when shot, it sure does change perception some. that it ever got there is obviously ridiculous though.

I really don't think smith is going to be saying that. Just a hunch

I'd like to know which website will ship handguns directly to a customer's door, let alone 10 of them.

Not to throw gas on this fire, but this took me about 10 seconds to find. Guns shipped directly to your door:

https://www.gunsamerica.com

FWIW I'm not anti-gun, but I do have a big problem with the accessibility and the gun culture in this country.

Edited by BarleyNY

It is different in the south too. I work in commercial insurance and there are 7 of us that are considered the "young" producers (between 27 - 40). Of that group 4 of them have a hand gun in their cars at all times. Now, they are hunters and such but it is a little different culture.

theres witness statements that he said he had a gun before being shot

well if he said it then he won't be saying it again. You wrote it as if smith would be saying he had a gun.

For what's its worth and in all seriousness, I don't doubt he had a gun. He would be foolish not to have one; everyone should carry. But, in this case if it really came down to drunken stupidity and threats vs threats and such as the case may seem to indicate of two people just being giant a holes than I am really not all that concerned with then outcome of either.

I'd like to know which website will ship handguns directly to a customer's door, let alone 10 of them.

Google... they're out there. And if that doesn't work. Look in to what used to be called the silk road

Not to throw gas on this fire, but this took me about 10 seconds to find. Guns shipped directly to your door:

https://www.gunsamerica.com

FWIW I'm not anti-gun, but I do have a big problem with the accessibility and the gun culture in this country.

Try to order something off of that site, and you'll find out that they only ship to FFL holders, who are ATF licensed dealers. That's why there is a "FFL search" option in the drop down menu under "buying."

well if he said it then he won't be saying it again. You wrote it as if smith would be saying he had a gun.

For what's its worth and in all seriousness, I don't doubt he had a gun. He would be foolish not to have one; everyone should carry. But, in this case if it really came down to drunken stupidity and threats vs threats and such as the case may seem to indicate of two people just being giant a holes than I am really not all that concerned with then outcome of either.

sorry if i wasnt clear - i was kind of telling it as a narrative in the moment, and not past tense i think.

but yea, it seems like smith bumped him, took off, and then when they got into the second accident both guys were pretty furious, and both had guns. atleast one likely had some level of impairment (otherwise why would smith take off from the original scene?). neither side is looking all that good, and theres a good chance a messy trial arguing over he said she said of some finer points in the interaction will be coming.

in the mean time smith is dead, and hayes has a kid that is going to probably be without father all over a really silly incident that both could have easily prevented from the sounds of things.

Edited by NoSaint

Nothing justifies shooting someone in the back four times and the side two times and than his wife twice. A man just doesn't do that. His lawyer that got him off before should be disbarred. These defense lawyers of these thugs should be ashamed. How they sleep at night I will never know. The CO's will take care of him this time.