ESPN 30 for 30 - O.J.: Made in America

YoloinOhio

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 3 has been great!! I thought that it started a little slow but this has been fantastic. The 2nd half of episode 2 and all of tonight have been great.

My one compliant is the jump cuts during the interviews. It's making me dizzy.

I hope so because I'm about halfway through Episode 2 and I'm like already I get it - OJ didn't want to be seen as black. I don't need any more examples!

Thought part 3 was better than Part 2. I do get that in Part 2 they were setting up how important the whole race issue was to the climate at the time and ultimate judgement, but to me they really beat the race issue into the ground and could have still made their point in about half the time - would have rather seen more about OJ during that time. Also wish they had spent more time on him as a kid and growing up.

Seeing those old clips of OJ running and him being so handsome and charismatic really took me back to the days when me and all my little friends used to absolutely worship him. There's a whole generation today (including my kids) who can never really understand what huge deal OJ was (especially to a kid growing up in the 70s in Buffalo) and how absolutely unbelievable it was to see friggin OJ accused of murder.

Am I the only one who can't get the image of John Travolta and his catterpillar eyebrows out of my mind every time Shapiro is on the screen

Yeah part 2 felt like I was watching a documentary about something completely different than OJ

CBF

Part 2 is intended to explain why the jury was so eager to ignore all evidence and testimony over many months and deliver a not guilty verdict after a relative very brief deliberation.

Part 2 is the most important part of the series.

Part 2 is intended to explain why the jury was so eager to ignore all evidence and testimony over many months and deliver a not guilty verdict after a relative very brief deliberation.

Yeah I got that part. Just saying it felt a bit slow

CBF

I totally get that they had to set the scene, but I literally checked the "info" button to be sure I was still watching the OJ show. They made the point, and then some.

I totally get that they had to set the scene, but I literally checked the "info" button to be sure I was still watching the OJ show. They made the point, and then some.

It's a comprehensive 10 hour dive into the "trial of the century". I thought they set the scene in a concise way. There is plenty of OJ before and after episode 2.

As with almost al of the 30/30's....it's an amazing job so far.

i just watched episode 4 and that start of episode 5...if it's not clear already, the lengthy exploration of the injustices black people in L.A. endured for decades provide critical context for the equally unjust verdict. in case you forgot, the jury ignored the evidence and freed OJ as an act of rebellion.

i just watched episode 4 and that start of episode 5...if it's not clear already, the lengthy exploration of the injustices black people in L.A. endured for decades provide critical context for the equally unjust verdict. in case you forgot, the jury ignored the evidence and freed OJ as an act of rebellion.

Yes - but the point myself and some are making is that the lengthy exploration that was done in episode 2 could have been not so long (even half as long IMO) and still could made the point very clearly and effectively to provide the context later. Honestly after continuously being beaten in the head about the race issue for the first hour of that episode, and then proceeding to be beaten for another hour in the second (where is OJ?), I was questioning the agenda of the filmmakers. The point was made, but they just kept beating on it for 2 hours.

Watching Part 3, and even more shocked that he could get off. I mean..... Really? Unbelievable! Again!!!

Shocking, but not surprising. One of the things I've like about this piece, is how they have used the social unrest in LA vis a vis the unfair treatment of blacks by the LAPD since the 60s, as a backdrop. We can criticize the jury, etc, but everyone sees and judges things through the prism of their own reality. In that context, it is not unbelievable to me at all.

On a side note, whenever I see that video footage of Reginald Denny getting his head bashed in by thugs who then celebrated it, I am reminded of the very definition of grace by how he reacted later on when they were brought to trial.

Yes - but the point myself and some are making is that the lengthy exploration that was done in episode 2 could have been not so long (even half as long IMO) and still could made the point very clearly and effectively to provide the context later. Honestly after continuously being beaten in the head about the race issue for the first hour of that episode, and then proceeding to be beaten for another hour in the second (where is OJ?), I was questioning the agenda of the filmmakers. The point was made, but they just kept beating on it for 2 hours.

Warning: if you feel "beaten in the head" by that, you probably shouldn't watch the rest of it.

I understand how one can feel this way, but I think it's important to understand it's not just the "race issue", it's how the "race issue" permeated throughout the entire system in LA; from enforcement, to prosecution, to judicial. I think it helps to provide insight into the mindsets of the various jurors selected. And let's face it, uncomfortable subjects are uncomfortable subjects. Perhaps it's natural to feel like it's like getting beaten in the head. I don't think that's the producers' agenda so much as underscoring the core issue.

I understand how one can feel this way, but I think it's important to understand it's not just the "race issue", it's how the "race issue" permeated throughout the entire system in LA; from enforcement, to prosecution, to judicial. I think it helps to provide insight into the mindsets of the various jurors selected. And let's face it, uncomfortable subjects are uncomfortable subjects. Perhaps it's natural to feel like it's like getting beaten in the head. I don't think that's the producers' agenda so much as underscoring the core issue.

I have no issue with the race issue being portrayed for as long as it was. I just needed no more "Where is OJ" examples...........Once Michael Jordan said Republicans buy shoes, too - was everybody still asking "Where is Michael".............Look, he doesn't want to get involved. It's his choice.

I have no issue with the race issue being portrayed for as long as it was. I just needed no more "Where is OJ" examples...........Once Michael Jordan said Republicans buy shoes, too - was everybody still asking "Where is Michael".............Look, he doesn't want to get involved. It's his choice.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

And that is one of the ironies the documentary points out. It's always interested me how so many black Americans criticized him for not wanting to become a symbol for black America and how OJ bucked at the notion, but then his trial ended up making him a symbol and OJ warmly embraced it.

has anyone else gone on and watched the final two installments online?

I watched part 4 today and I'll watch part 5 tomorrow. It's good, I just went in with high expectations about people saying it's the best documentary ever. I've found much of it very boring where I find myself playing with my phone instead of watching the tv. There are some very interesting parts as well though