Cornerback Depth

I wasn't happy when we let McKelvin walk. As a recent thread pointed out, teams run nickel defenses over 60% of the time. Additionally, injuries are a fact of life. We need at least 3 starting quality DBs with some good backups.

So I looked at our roster to see who we had with today's signing of Sterling Moore. I also looked at game starts as a gauge of experience...

Stephon Gilmore 51

Corey White 20

Sterling Moore 19

Ronald Darby 15

Nickel Robey 12

Javier Arenas 12

Mario Butler 1

Cam Thomas 0

Merill Noel 0

Sammy Seamster 0

Despite the numbers, I'd still like to see the Bills draft another good DB.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Blanton is a safety. Subtract him and add Nickell Robey to the list. You can also add Corey Graham, who can play safety or CB.

I would be shocked if they don't draft one though I like our depth. I think a CB should be drafted at some point every year. We don't need an immediate starter so it can wait until the mid rounds, but there are some intriguing developmental players like Tavon Young (Darby's buddy) who is going 5th or later in the mocks.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The norm in the NFL now is to play nickel and dime defenses. That means you had better have guys who can cover.

I like what the Bills have done here by adding C. White and S. Marlin, both of whom have played for Rex's brother, who I am sure had a large role in convincing the Bills to sign them. White can also play S.

With eight draft picks in the 2016 NFL Draft (R1, R2, R3, R4, R4, R5, R6, R6) you can bet that the Bills will select a CB among those picks. It's just not a high priority any longer. Expect the Bills to try to fortify their front seven on defense instead. They need a NT to play Rex's 3-4 defense properly. Expect them to draft heavily on the defensive side (DE, NT, ILB, DT, CB) along with an OT, QB, and possibly a WR.

The norm in the NFL now is to play nickel and dime defenses. That means you had better have guys who can cover.

I like what the Bills have done here by adding C. White and S. Marlin, both of whom have played for Rex's brother, who I am sure had a large role in convincing the Bills to sign them. White can also play S.

With eight draft picks in the 2016 NFL Draft (R1, R2, R3, R4, R4, R5, R6, R6) you can bet that the Bills will select a CB among those picks. It's just not a high priority any longer. Expect the Bills to try to fortify their front seven on defense instead. They need a NT to play Rex's 3-4 defense properly. Expect them to draft heavily on the defensive side (DE, NT, ILB, DT, CB) along with an OT, QB, and possibly a WR.

Yes, our clown twin has also started to collect strays...at least they aren't former Jets.

I actually like our top 4 in gilmore, darby, robey (he's struggled at times, but he seems to thrive in competitions), and butler. The guys were adding are specific to depth at safety and corner, and will push for playing time and contribute on special teams. They also are used to playing the inside spot, meaning robey has to earn his job again.

Blanton is a safety. Subtract him and add Nickell Robey to the list. You can also add Corey Graham, who can play safety or CB.

I would be shocked if they don't draft one though I like our depth. I think a CB should be drafted at some point every year. We don't need an immediate starter so it can wait until the mid rounds, but there are some intriguing developmental players like Tavon Young (Darby's buddy) who is going 5th or later in the mocks.

This whole post basically. The strategy of drafting a DB every year at least insures depth at the position and potential growth w/ minimal risk if the pick comes in the 3rd-5th rounds. Glad I read through the thread before b/c Tavon Young was someone who Rex/Whaley would likely bring in for the purpose of being opposite Darby and learning from those on the roster through an easier transition. As it stands our depth is strong, Sterling Moore plays great man coverage and has consistent experience in the nickel position, his skill set coupled with a growing Robey gives us enough cushion when you add Corey Graham to the mix to amply back up either wing of the defense if they get clipped.

Edited by ctk232

Corey Graham can play CB about as well as I can.

I really should have proofread my post... thanks for the corrections.

I'm struck by how much our depth chart has changed the past two years. Being remade for Rex this year? Or just natural attrition?

In any case, I still wonder about out depth. Here's an excerpt from a MMQB article:

Any NFL coach will tell you that there aren’t enough quality corners to handle all the league’s dynamic wideouts.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/06/nfl-george-iloka-cincinnati-bengals-safety-position-free-agency

That's the league wide situation - are we better off than the average team?
Edited by hondo in seattle

I really should have proofread my post... thanks for the corrections.

I'm struck by how much our depth chart has changed the past two years. Being remade for Rex this year? Or just natural attrition?

In any case, I still wonder about out depth. Here's an excerpt from a MMQB article:

Any NFL coach will tell you that there arent enough quality corners to handle all the leagues dynamic wideouts.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/06/nfl-george-iloka-cincinnati-bengals-safety-position-free-agency

That's the league wide situation - are we better off than the average team?

yes, I think so simply because we can field two above average to very good scheme-fit starters at the same time. Not the case around the league.

I guess this is the source of my discomfort: While I watch almost all Bills games, I only rarely watch other NFL regular season games.

Obviously, our starting CB duo (Darby/Gilmore) is very good. Robey has looked great at times, not so much at other times. Mario Butler has been just okay in limited action but is still learning.

Beyond that, the depth chart is mostly a mystery to me. Pretty much the only things I know about White, Moore and Arenas is what I've read which is often contradictory and certainly not universally positive.

If we're in nickel half the time, will we have 3 quality CBs to man it? Will we have good guys to step up when there are injuries?

I guess this is the source of my discomfort: While I watch almost all Bills games, I only rarely watch other NFL regular season games.

Obviously, our starting CB duo (Darby/Gilmore) is very good. Robey has looked great at times, not so much at other times. Mario Butler has been just okay in limited action but is still learning.

Beyond that, the depth chart is mostly a mystery to me. Pretty much the only things I know about White, Moore and Arenas is what I've read which is often contradictory and certainly not universally positive.

If we're in nickel half the time, will we have 3 quality CBs to man it? Will we have good guys to step up when there are injuries?

i would put it this way - many teams don't have one CB as good as either Gilmore or Darby. Let alone two. But as far as your questions, they were both hurt in weeks 16 and 17 and the defense played with guys like Mario butler stepping up. They aren't starting material but most teams are thin at CB. That is why they are so expensive in FA and so coveted in the draft. There is also a lack of polished CBS coming out of college because of the number of spread offenses they are used to playing against which causes bigger learning curves.

If the best player available on the Bills board is a CB at any point we are on the clock then you can bet we will draft one.

I agree and i believe that at 19 the best player on our board will end up being CB or QB. I see the top 3 OT's being too good to not draft. The Conklin the other kid and decker being top 3. Decker probably won't be top 20 talent on most boards.

But hagreaves, Apple or the other dude will likely be there. And the fall off after the top 4 or 5 is drastic but there is good depth there for skill set CB's that can contribute in the right scheme. A dozen 6'+ tall CB's. A dozen short scrawny gugnys. A dozen blazing fast with no hands. A dozen man to man, quick in the hip athletes who cant mentally play. A dozen smart but hbathletic..

Corey Graham makes plays, but I think of him as a safety or DB more than a cover corner. I'm never surprised any more when the Bills pick a CB.

Edited by Augie