Let's Teach Four Year Olds About Gender Identification

The cases we see, hear and read about here are almost always the same story: From the time Tommy learned how to pick things up, he always preferred dolls over baseball. He loved to put on his mom's make-up and dress up in her shoes. So we just encouraged him to be his own person until the age of three, when we asked him if he preferred to be called 'Tammy' and he said yes.

Interestingly, I don't think I've ever heard the story reversed, because Tammy choosing baseball over dolls just makes her an athlete.

It goes as far as assigning appropriate pronouns to be sensitive. I don't really even know what a pronoun is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes as far as assigning appropriate pronouns to be sensitive. I don't really even know what a pronoun is.

If you're not sure what to do, then read this article and follow the author's advice: treat your pets as gender neutral so you can figure out how to talk to your gender neutral friends.

And yes...someone actually wrote this, and yes, someone else actually published it...because you WILL be made to care.

And I began to get an infinitesimal taste of what transgender and gender-nonconforming people face. I’m not talking about the outright bigotry and hatred –something I can’t know without being in their shoes — but the complete cluelessness. Friends would come over, I’d introduce the cats and their pronouns, and some would ask, “But what ARE they?” Some would randomly use “he” and “she.” Some would stumble, unable to form a sentence when talking about one of the cats.

Things got a little more real when Essence got sick. They were really sick. I took them to the vet and had to weigh the question: Do I explain their pronouns not only to the vet, but also the front-desk workers, the vet techs, and everyone else we interacted with? Before the illness was over, we saw five vets, two sets of front desk people, and countless vet techs. I chose to fall back on my cis-gender privilege (look it up) and used the singular pronoun for Essence. I understood that wouldn’t have been so easy if I were the patient — or if Essence were human.

Please God, tell me this person doesn't have children !!

I have a serious reason for raising my cats gender-neutral

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/04/05/dont-laugh-i-have-a-serious-reason-for-raising-my-cats-gender-neutral/

!@#$ing stupid navel-gazing bull ****. Cat's have gender. They're not gender-neutral, because they don't give a ****. They're just cats.

"I have a serious reason for raising my cats as dogs" would make more sense in the context.

Please God, tell me this person doesn't have children !!

I have a serious reason for raising my cats gender-neutral

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/04/05/dont-laugh-i-have-a-serious-reason-for-raising-my-cats-gender-neutral/

It is confusing. We’ve had gender drilled into us as part of language since we first heard adults talking when we were infants – decades of “he” and “she

No it's not confusing but you've decided to make it so. We did not have gender drilled into us. Jesus Christ. Smoke some weed you hippy freak and relax. They're !@#$ing cats and he, she, it, they, them, mother!@#$er are just words and if those words upset people they're the ones with the issue.

My Coworker went on a spa weekend with his wife and a few friends. One of the friends was a tranny. He refused to refer to him as anything but a "he." He warned his wife he would do it too. His wife made him go home after the first day. He played Xbox the rest of the weekend.

!@#$ing stupid navel-gazing bull ****. Cat's have gender. They're not gender-neutral, because they don't give a ****. They're just cats.

"I have a serious reason for raising my cats as dogs" would make more sense in the context.

I avoid all of it by calling my cats 'n#ggers'.

I avoid all of it by calling my cats 'n#ggers'.

I kind-of do the same thing with people..."idiot" is gender-neutral.

I hope.

Actually, no I don't. I don't give a **** if it's gender-neutral or not.

I kind-of do the same thing with people..."idiot" is gender-neutral.

I hope.

Actually, no I don't. I don't give a **** if it's gender-neutral or not.

Oh, "idiot" is most definitely gender-neutral, but such frequent bestowal of the term risks diluting its negative connotation. I like to rotate its use with synonyms such as "moron", "dope", "dunce", "cretin", and "Gatorman".

Oh, "idiot" is most definitely gender-neutral, but such frequent bestowal of the term risks diluting its negative connotation. I like to rotate its use with synonyms such as "moron", "dope", "dunce", "cretin", and "Gatorman".

That still has you punch above your weight! A bottom feeder like you looks up to idiots. Now go clean a toilet boy

That still has you punch above your weight! A bottom feeder like you looks up to idiots. Now go clean a toilet boy

Back to toilets again? Gee, that's a mighty impressive repertoire you draw your insults from, you blithering Gatorman.