Marquise Goodwin cut? (Or quitting Bills to pursue track?)no

Are you saying he's not a deep threat? I don't understand your first sentence. He's fast and he's cheap.

I think he was alluding to there being a difference between being fast and being a deep threat. Goodwin is blazing fast, but he's had three total receptions in the last two seasons. (He had 17 his rookie year.) I'm not sure how anyone counts on him for any production and it's not a good sign if he remains on the roster.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was alluding to there being a difference between being fast and being a deep threat. Goodwin is blazing fast, but he's had three total receptions in the last two seasons. (He had 17 his rookie year.) I'm not sure how anyone counts on him for any production and it's not a good sign if he remains on the roster.

Unfortunately true. Goodwin would add a necessary dimension to this team if he could actually achieve his potential, but based on past history you would have to think not. This is especially true if he skips a major portion of training camp. He is definitely a player who needs all the work on his football skills he can get. I do not think he can be counted on for much.

I mean I personally don't think it's a big deal. He didn't seem 100% committed to football anyway. He was always injured and he was limited in what he could do. I'd rather bring in a player who's 100% committed to playing football 100% of the time and who's willing to work on his craft.

Good riddance. Enjoy your Olympic career, Flash.

This guy is a class act and still has promise. He hasn't been able to quite make it due to injury. Hate crap like this from fans.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2014/11/07/marquise-goodwin-buffalo-bills/18680837/

He couldn't stay healthy because he never committed to playing football. I won't shed tears over a guy who didn't even want it.

How do you know that?

This guy is a class act and still has promise. He hasn't been able to quite make it due to injury. Hate crap like this from fans.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2014/11/07/marquise-goodwin-buffalo-bills/18680837/

How do you know that?

Player A will spend his offseason conditioning for football, will attend camp and will probably meet with his QB to build chemistry. Player B will spend his offseason practicing his long jump, will skip camp and probably won't meet with his QB.

Which one is committed to the Bills? Which one takes the Bills seriously? Which one will have a better year next season?

Edited by FireChan

How do you know that?

We all know the story..........person loves and takes care of disabled family member.

He's made about $2M so far doing nothing on the field and after 3 lousy seasons he wants to take training camp off to have "fun".

Football is a team sport and your class act isn't about that.

It's great that he cares about his sister but irrelevant to the conversation.

I know a lot of folks think that the missing elements are are deep threat receivers

I personally think the missing elements at WR are physical guys that run 4.4 in football speed......are physical with the ball in the air....and catch 50 50 balls for their QB.

That is one of the things I find kinda funny about the NFL.....the QBs that everyone thinks are great have targets that will fight for the ball while its in the air.

Now see....Goodwin actually will do this....its just that every time he takes a hard hit you wonder if he is gonna get back up. He needs some home cookin on those bones of his.

I know a lot of folks think that the missing elements are are deep threat receivers

I personally think the missing elements at WR are physical guys that run 4.4 in football speed......are physical with the ball in the air....and catch 50 50 balls for their QB.

That is one of the things I find kinda funny about the NFL.....the QBs that everyone thinks are great have targets that will fight for the ball while its in the air.

Now see....Goodwin actually will do this....its just that every time he takes a hard hit you wonder if he is gonna get back up. He needs some home cookin on those bones of his.

this may or may not be my own personal viewpoint but I think the Bills viewpoint on who they want across from Sanmy is a guy who can put enough fear into the defense that they don't roll their coverage toward 14. They want to throw to Sammy, not to they guy who is open because everyone is covering Sammy. That's why they signed Harvin, though it only worked out briefly.

Technically Goodwin could/should be that guy but he can't stay on the field. A good example of a player that fits this is John Brown (with AZ Cardinals). He draws the safeties with his speed and they throw to Fitzgerald, with Ocassionsl end zone bombs to Brown. Woods and the rest of the WRs they signed can fill those 3-5 WRspots.

Getting Harvin back healthy would be ideal, but looking like a long shot and they will need to use a draft pick on this role because there aren't any available in FA with that kind of speed. Braxton Miller would be a guy who jumps out as a Harvin type player who will scare DCs. Also has very good hands and body control combined with sick quickness/football speed.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Player A will spend his offseason conditioning for football, will attend camp and will probably meet with his QB to build chemistry. Player B will spend his offseason practicing his long jump, will skip camp and probably won't meet with his QB.

Which one is committed to the Bills? Which one takes the Bills seriously? Which one will have a better year next season?

You're making presumptions based on a few articles and social media postings. Too many fans believe they have true insight into the goings-on because of this.

Are you his roommate? Are you in the locking room or on the practice field? Are you certain he's not putting in time building said chemistry? It may be true, but I doubt it. And he's only missing part of camp. He'd be cut if he didn't put the effort in.

Your assertion that he can't have other interests is narrow minded.

We all know the story..........person loves and takes care of disabled family member.

He's made about $2M so far doing nothing on the field and after 3 lousy seasons he wants to take training camp off to have "fun".

Football is a team sport and your class act isn't about that.

It's great that he cares about his sister but irrelevant to the conversation.

It is relevant. Many of the comments here are sarcastic, and vitriolic, about a borderline No. 3 wide receiver who may, or may not, be on the cusp but clearly has raw ability to be given the shot.

Fans are too presumptuous and negative about people they hardly know. From what I know, he doesn't deserve it. I put that link up because he has ability and it appears he's a good person to boot, which is hardly a commodity in the NFL. If he can't hack it, he'll be cut. It's that simple.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

You're making presumptions based on a few articles and social media postings. Too many fans believe they have true insight into the goings-on because of this.

Are you his roommate? Are you in the locking room or on the practice field? Are you certain he's not putting in time building said chemistry? It may be true, but I doubt it. And he's only missing part of camp. He'd be cut if he didn't put the effort in.

Your assertion that he can't have other interests is narrow minded.

What other WR's are missing any part of camp due to any other reason but injury? I'll wait.

You believe it's easy to be a good NFL player. You believe you can work-out for the Olympics and work-out for the NFL and be successful in both. And while one-in-a-billion athletes may be able to do that, I don't think a guy with 3 catches in 2 years is one of them.

His NFL career is on life support and he's taking time off that career to, as Badol put it, have fun. If that doesn't speak to his commitment, what would?

Edited by FireChan

To the "he is not dedicated to the Bills crowd": The Bills have stated in the past that they think MG's track and field interests are compatible with his football career---exhibit A: the Bills let him show at the US Championships in Aug 2015.

To the "haters" crowd: consider a new approach to your posts. How about not saying something by keyboard, that you wouldn't say in person.

Early on in this thread, MG took some underserved cheap shots.

If I met MG, I'd say "Awesome with your sister, good luck in track and field. Do you think your injury history hurts your NFL cred? I wish you the best."

At the end of the day, Goodwin counts $860K against the cap if the Bills keep him and only about $150K against the cap if they cut him. To boot, they have signed 3 new WR's to the roster since January. If I were a betting man, based on his productivity in his career to date, I would have to believe he's gone. Can't really say I care.

Let him compete for a position and leave it to the coaches to decide. Oh wait they suck too.

I am all about improving the roster. Not cutting guys cuz the fans don't like him and does not satisfy their personal criteria to be a Bill.

Lotsa folks cut Woods and Hogan every year too. We cut Stevie Johnson i don't know how many times.

Some folks are hard to please.

Cutting and firing everyone each week is fantasy football

and the Bills have still sucked for a decade and a half

I heard the Bills introduced a "Long Jump Competition" option instead of overtime at the last competition committee meeting. Owner's giving it serious consideration after Kim talked passionately about it...she played the CTE/concussion angle -- tired players more vulnerable. She also sang "Happy Birthday, Mr President" to Jerry Jones which automatically got her the Jones block........of votes....

Translation -- Goodwin = Invaluable....

Edited by JoeF

It is relevant. Many of the comments here are sarcastic, and vitriolic, about a borderline No. 3 wide receiver who may, or may not, be on the cusp but clearly has raw ability to be given the shot.

Fans are too presumptuous and negative about people they hardly know. From what I know, he doesn't deserve it. I put that link up because he has ability and it appears he's a good person to boot, which is hardly a commodity in the NFL. If he can't hack it, he'll be cut. It's that simple.

No, it's really NOT relevant.

Loving and taking care of your family does not make you special......it just means you are normal in that regard.

I disagree with your sour take that "good" people are not a commodity in the NFL.

Perhaps I'm less judgemental than you but my guess is that most actually are.

What we are talking about is his Buffalo Bills career.......and as much as I dislike his lack of commitment to the game I really don't think that has made him a bad person.......just a bad player.