Marquise Goodwin cut? (Or quitting Bills to pursue track?)no

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The muscle issues are very possibly(likely) due to having too much lean muscle. Flash has built his body specifically for track events.....not for being able to withstand the contact/resistance and start and stop action of football.

The rib issue was the result of inexplicably running back toward the DL while cutting across the field.........the product of a lack of understanding of the position which was likely the result of the preparation he hasn't done.

You rarely see a receiver do something like that....which is why you don't see 320# DL belly flopping on them and breaking their ribs.

He is tolerated by the Bills because he is a VERY talented receiver.

He's not a ham-handed, no ball-talent speedster projection like Bucky Brooks or TJ Graham.

Goodwin is as fast as any player in the league, super quick, cuts on a dime, has both inside and outside ability, can track the football and has good hands.

If he focused on his game I think he could actually stay on the field and produce.

Once he faceplants in his gold medal bid maybe he will focus on his game and that upcoming free agent $$$$$ opportunity.

For now, he's kinda' been holding the Bills hostage by not being football ready and being unwilling to play hurt because he doesn't want to get a chronic injury and lose that edge he needs to compete with other athletes that DON'T play physical sports in the long jump.

Don't kid yourself that they are happy with him, they are tolerating the nonsense in hopes of him playing to his exceptional ability....and being that his indiscretion is following an olympic dream rather than no-showing or getting in trouble with the law.....they have an excuse to redshirt him that they can sell in the locker room. Guarantee NGAS in that building about his olympic dreams.

I really wonder why two different coaching staffs have allowed him to train and participate in Track and Field events. And not sat him down and said to him, like so many here. "Glass, it's either or. Your offseason conditioning is not up to par. Now do you want to play football or not ? " Wouldn't the coaches do that? If they felt he was holding himself and the team back?

Thats why i cannot see these arguments holding much water. Sure he isn't available enough and that is a fair argument.

But haven't two completely different coaching staff given the Kid an ultimatum ?

Edited by 3rdand12

I really wonder why two different coaching staffs have allowed him to train and participate in Track and Field events. And not sat him down and said to him, like so many here. "Glass, it's either or. Your offseason conditioning is not up to par. Now do you want to play football or not ? " Wouldn't the coaches do that? If they felt he was holding himself and the team back?

Thats why i cannot see these arguments holding much water. Sure he isn't available enough and that is a fair argument.

But haven't two completely different coaching staff given the Kid an ultimatum ?

He is determined to live out his olympic dream.

That is what you can't grasp.

He is not going to be told to get in football shape because he is going to follow thru on that dream whether they like it or not.

Keep in mind that this is a MINIMUM SALARY type player..........his average base salary on his 4 year deal is a paltry $450K.......if they CUT him they actually incur around a $150K dead money hit. :doh:

And he will hook on with another team for the same or maybe even slightly more money as soon as he wants because as I've said.....he's a legitimately talented football player.

So he holds all the cards..........but this season is the first time he will be able to turn his play into more money......this is the last year of his deal.......so the hope is that he will come back from his olympic failure willing to play thru pain and committed to becoming a successful football player.

It really isn't that hard to see why they've put up with it........he's basically being redshirted for personal reasons and happens to be talented and cheap enough to be waited for.

You are right, i don't get that. I have found now where has anyone ever said that . Actually the Only quote from has been was the opposite.

But i am stubborn in my thinking. I believe he thinks he can do both and his training is not the main reason he is injured so often

Coaches can still call him a healthy scratch if he does not adhere to their wishes.

I do not think you will convince me otherwise #Badol

B-)

He is determined to live out his olympic dream.

That is what you can't grasp.

He is not going to be told to get in football shape because he is going to follow thru on that dream whether they like it or not.

Keep in mind that this is a MINIMUM SALARY type player..........his average base salary on his 4 year deal is a paltry $450K.......if they CUT him they actually incur around a $150K dead money hit. :doh:

And he will hook on with another team for the same or maybe even slightly more money as soon as he wants because as I've said.....he's a legitimately talented football player.

So he holds all the cards..........but this season is the first time he will be able to turn his play into more money......this is the last year of his deal.......so the hope is that he will come back from his olympic failure willing to play thru pain and committed to becoming a successful football player.

It really isn't that hard to see why they've put up with it........he's basically being redshirted for personal reasons and happens to be talented and cheap enough to be waited for.

I agree with all of this

Jesus Bado...Im agree with you too much nowadays...:)

Too many sarcastic comments in this thread. The guy is a world-class athlete and tried to play football at the NFL level. Yes, he was frequently injured, but the sarcasm and snarky-ness are too much.

We are all disappointed that he couldn't stay healthy and produce more.

You know Goodwin is an exciting player & fantastic return man.

But Goodwin insisted it was a joke. He said he will try to qualify for the Olympics, but says he's staying with the Bills. He called football his priority and track his "fun."

___

That is the only quote i have read from him about his priorities.

You are right, i don't get that. I have found now where has anyone ever said that . Actually the Only quote from has been was the opposite.

But i am stubborn in my thinking. I believe he thinks he can do both and his training is not the main reason he is injured so often

Coaches can still call him a healthy scratch if he does not adhere to their wishes.

I do not think you will convince me otherwise #Badol

B-)

I don't care if you believe me but there really is nothing to gain from them publicly questioning his commitment to football.

NOTHING.

He holds all the cards..........if he gets cut the team loses cap space and the fastest WR in the NFL catches on with another team and possibly starts making big plays elsewhere.

I think if Marrone had stayed they may have cut him last offseason.......Marrone healthy scratched him and seemed to be done with him.

But Rex is a different animal and Whaley has a vested interest in getting something out of that Goodwin pick and his vertical speed is a great fit for Tyrod Taylors game.

Makes all the sense in the world to let it play out.

But Goodwin insisted it was a joke. He said he will try to qualify for the Olympics, but says he's staying with the Bills. He called football his priority and track his "fun."

___

That is the only quote i have read from him about his priorities.

A player coming off 3 disappointing seasons for whom football is his supposed #1 priority says he is going to skip camp to have fun instead. :rolleyes:

I don't care if you believe me but there really is nothing to gain from them publicly questioning his commitment to football.

NOTHING.

He holds all the cards..........if he gets cut the team loses cap space and the fastest WR in the NFL catches on with another team and possibly starts making big plays elsewhere.

I think if Marrone had stayed they may have cut him last offseason.......Marrone healthy scratched him and seemed to be done with him.

But Rex is a different animal and Whaley has a vested interest in getting something out of that Goodwin pick and his vertical speed is a great fit for Tyrod Taylors game.

Makes all the sense in the world to let it play out.

A player coming off 3 disappointing seasons for whom football is his supposed #1 priority says he is going to skip camp to have fun instead. :rolleyes:

I do not mean publicly comment, and it doe not matter whether i believe you or not. I do value your opinion though..

I wondered if you would bring up Marrone. I was kinda glossing over that healthy scratch thing by doug honestly :devil:

You can choose to perceive Goodwin's comments as you wish.

I am sure he asked if he could skip camp, and permission was given. Should we turn this into Rex lack of discipline issue now? Its right there for conjecturing ?

And it because of nonsense like "genuine deep threat." He threatens to overwork the medical staff and not much else.

Are you saying he's not a deep threat? I don't understand your first sentence. He's fast and he's cheap.