Star Wars: Rogue One

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Rogue One last night.

I'm not a Star Wars fanboy; It is better than Episode VII. I had high expectations.

I didn't like the CGI characters, but the overall visual was amazing. The subtle things, like the Deathstar coming over the horizon, looking up at a star destroyer over a city, Incoming imperial walkers... was inspired. It felt like a movie in the stars wars universe, rather than about it.

The story was solid. The plot had no obvious holes. (A rarity for Star Wars.) I still can't think of one right now.

The special effects of the three prequels are trash. Prequels, as in the movies made in the 90's. Those special effects didn't hold up and in many cases look worse today than the special effects of the original three movies.

The original three movies (4,5,& 6) all had really good special effects that did hold up over time.

Yep. The prequels were running on TNT this weekend and I was embarrassed by the special effects. The "originals" (IV-VI) are so superior it's laughable. The prequels were pieces of shite -- their only redeeming quality was (awkwardly) telling Vader's origin story.

Edited by eball

Ok so I understand the need to CGI some of the characters and for the most part they were done well. But there were a few shots that looked SWTOR cartoonish

And the recycled scenes were good for a chuckle. Except for the LOTR scenes. When did Darth Vader move to Mordor? :doh: Seriously, the only thing missing was The Eye

Just finished seeing it and really enjoyed it. Lots of good little nods to the originals and they've added a good amount of things that can now be considered Star Wars cannon.

The cinematography mixed with CGI was amazing. I love how these knew films really give you idea of scale.

Just finished seeing it and really enjoyed it. Lots of good little nods to the originals and they've added a good amount of things that can now be considered Star Wars cannon.

The cinematography mixed with CGI was amazing. I love how these knew films really give you idea of scale.

I agree that it looked great, but other than that what made you enjoy it?

I'm genuinely curious b/c to me this was almost beyond the pale. They somehow made a Star Wars movie, which had more action than any other Star Wars movie, that was more boring than I could have ever imagined a Star Wars movie being.

I'm genuinely curious b/c to me this was almost beyond the pale. They somehow made a Star Wars movie, which had more action than any other Star Wars movie, that was more boring than I could have ever imagined a Star Wars movie being.

Exactly how I feel. If you don't make me care about the characters, which they didn't, then it's basically just a video game cutscene.

I thought the first 20-25 mins were a little slow and the movie is not without criticism but for me specifically, I like the little things that filled in the holes between the movies. As an example, the Kyber Crystals. Not once have they been mentioned in any Star Wars film but it was long assumed thats where the Death Star got it's power from. Also, Star Wars fans are finally introduced to the Guardian of the Whills, something George Lucas has long talked about.

It also enhances A New Hope, you now have faces of characters who gave their lives to get these plans. Also, in A New Hope, the first scene of the Empire in the "war room", there is an empty seat. We now know why there is an empty seat, it's for Orson Krennic.

There's more little touches but those are just a few that did it for me.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

THese were my thoughts an hour after seeing the movie.

• First off, did they just introduce us to a whole new set of characters just to kill them all in the end?
  • Second, I love the fact that good vs evil isn't so clear cut. Like Forrest Whitikers character. Kind of a bad man, but working for the good side.
  • The wookie that spent a whopping two seconds on screen shooting out of what was essentially a helicopter.
  • Darth Vader, although he was only on screen for about five minutes altogether, cemented his place as the most cold hearted villain in cinematic history.
  • When all the X Wing fighters were taking roll call and you had déjà vu to the first one.
  • Finally the question I've been wondering since I saw the first one about why it was so easy to destroy the Death Star. They basically built a whole movie off of an almost forgot about line from the first one.
  • K 2SO is actually funny. I already like him better than C3PO.

<p>

• First off, did they just introduce us to a whole new set of characters just to kill them all in the end? they had to do this for continuity with the original trilogy. Adding a whole new series of characters has to align their stories with the iconic saga
  • Second, I love the fact that good vs evil isn't so clear cut. Like Forrest Whitikers character. Kind of a bad man, but working for the good side.
  • The wookie that spent a whopping two seconds on screen shooting out of what was essentially a helicopter.
  • Darth Vader, although he was only on screen for about five minutes altogether, cemented his place as the most cold hearted villain in cinematic history.
  • When all the X Wing fighters were taking roll call and you had déjà vu to the first one.I loved that too :). And now we know why Red Squadron had a job opening
  • Finally the question I've been wondering since I saw the first one about why it was so easy to destroy the Death Star. They basically built a whole movie off of an almost forgot about line from the first one.I prefer the Family Guy explanation better

Exactly how I feel. If you don't make me care about the characters, which they didn't, then it's basically just a video game cutscene.

You didn't care about the characters? I think that's a function of you not paying attention to the first 30 minutes of the movie, and not because they didn't address it.

Great addition to the saga. After we saw it Friday my wife and I came home and immediately watched A New Hope. Fun afternoon.

• First off, did they just introduce us to a whole new set of characters just to kill them all in the end?
  • When all the X Wing fighters were taking roll call and you had déjà vu to the first one.
  • Finally the question I've been wondering since I saw the first one about why it was so easy to destroy the Death Star. They basically built a whole movie off of an almost forgot about line from the first one.

As expected, Donnie Yen was excellent.

Vader smiling rebels left and right may have been one of the finest scenes in any Star Wars film.

This, so much.

I saw it today and loved it. Great entertainment, though I saw it on 3D which I hated. Never again 3D for me.

This, so much.

I saw it today and loved it. Great entertainment, though I saw it on 3D which I hated. Never again 3D for me.

3D gives me a splitting headache.

Just got back from it. I liked it...didn't love it. Lots of cute call-backs to the original. I think the first half-hour kind-of spoiled it for me; whether in writing or editing, the story line was choppy and did a poor job of establishing the characters. They were just kind-of thrown together in to a common situation, with no real coherence. There's a reason Chirrut and Baze were the most enjoyable characters.

3D gives me a splitting headache.

Just got back from it. I liked it...didn't love it. Lots of cute call-backs to the original. I think the first half-hour kind-of spoiled it for me; whether in writing or editing, the story line was choppy and did a poor job of establishing the characters. They were just kind-of thrown together in to a common situation, with no real coherence. There's a reason Chirrut and Baze were the most enjoyable characters.

Agree with this, it was empty... but fun.

I think the only reason I enjoyed it more than 7 was because unlike 7 it wasn't just a mash-up of the original trilogy.