WGR on EJ - will he stay on the roster as backup QB?

But are they teams willing to take EJ and his salary in return?

The only landing spot I see for EJ in a trade is the 49ers if they trade away Kaep. I could see them sending a 7th rounder in the 2017 draft our way for EJ. Chip liked him coming out and frankly I don't think that man would know an NFL Quarterback if one woke up in bed next to him.

Why not? Cut EJ after a year or let him walk, trade a guy who wants out and get a pick in return? Sounds like a perfect deal to me, IMO.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how badly Whaley and co need to make the playoffs. Say, a 4th?

I can see if you were offering the Browns a 4th and EJ for McCown that might make sense for them. Not sure at a 4th it makes sense for us in all honesty. What did we send to the Vikings for Cassel? A 7th and a 5th for Cassel and a 6th? If you look at EJ as basically a 7th then maybe he and a 5th might get you McCown? I think that is closer to a fair value for both.

It makes little sense to keep him except for his contract guarantees. .

You've got this backwards. It makes little sense to jettison him. Let him play out his contract and wave goodbye after this year. There is absolutely no reason to get rid of him. He's a good teammate, he knows the system, he has 3 years in the league and he can run the offense TT runs without tweaking it much.

Add to it that his money is guaranteed and there's pretty much nobody who is better than him available and I'm wondering wtf people are talking about. It's like Bills' fans haven't watched other backup QBs and think there is some miracle guy out there that nobody has noticed.

I can see if you were offering the Browns a 4th and EJ for McCown that might make sense for them. Not sure at a 4th it makes sense for us in all honesty. What did we send to the Vikings for Cassel? A 7th and a 5th for Cassel and a 6th? If you look at EJ as basically a 7th then maybe he and a 5th might get you McCown? I think that is closer to a fair value for both.

I think that's an ideal deal, personally. We may need to overpay because I'm sure some other QB needy teams are looking for a guy too.

You've got this backwards. It makes little sense to jettison him. Let him play out his contract and wave goodbye after this year. There is absolutely no reason to get rid of him. He's a good teammate, he knows the system, he has 3 years in the league and he can run the offense TT runs without tweaking it much.

Add to it that his money is guaranteed and there's pretty much nobody who is better than him available and I'm wondering wtf people are talking about. It's like Bills' fans haven't watched other backup QBs and think there is some miracle guy out there that nobody has noticed.

I think there is.

Edited by FireChan

Hoyer and McCown. Both are on the block.

You want to trade a pick for a backup QB when you have a perfectly suitable backup on the roster? I know fans have axes to grind and that EJ didn't live up to expectations, but the guy is a better than average backup. There is no need to trade for a guy, it's throwing draft picks down the drain and the Bills can not afford to do that. That's a luxury trade that only a few teams would be smart to make.

You want to trade a pick for a backup QB when you have a perfectly suitable backup on the roster? I know fans have axes to grind and that EJ didn't live up to expectations, but the guy is a better than average backup. There is no need to trade for a guy, it's throwing draft picks down the drain and the Bills can not afford to do that. That's a luxury trade that only a few teams would be smart to make.

McCown wins more games than EJ all things being equal, IMO. I made an argument up thread if you'd like to take a look.

You can't provide any names because there is such a black hole of talent out there. They won't unless there is a suitable alternative and I see none out there in the QB landscape. They certainly will not outright release him. He'll most likely be the back up QB in 2016 unless he's traded. Get used to the idea or not.

So you're saying that we are stuck with him because there isn't much else out there - especially someone fairly cheap? That's certainly possible and I touched on that. But the Bills should absolutely be looking for an upgrade to replace him because he's just a cheap player to fill the hole right now and he might cost us wins this season.

So you're saying that we are stuck with him because there isn't much else out there - especially someone fairly cheap? That's certainly possible and I touched on that. But the Bills should absolutely be looking for an upgrade to replace him because he's just a cheap player to fill the hole right now and he might cost us wins this season.

That could be said about any player, and the money they save could be spent to shore up another position. If the backup Guard sucks and is forced to play, but they couldn't afford a better back up because they were paying EJM and his replacement, we fans would cry foul.

They have to spend wisely, and EJM is already on the bill. They will bring in another QB (who may or may not move ahead of him), but this team has holes all over, so cutting EJM, AND then signing 2 more QB's would be foolish.

Edited by HoF Watkins

That could be said about any player, and the money they save could be spent to shore up another position. If the backup Guard sucks and is forced to play, but they couldn't afford a better back up because they were paying EJM and his replacement, we fans would cry foul.

They have to spend wisely, and EJM is already on the bill. They will bring in another QB (who may or may not move ahead of him), but this team has holes all over, so cutting EJM, AND then signing 2 more QB's would be foolish.

I'm not an EJ guy at all but I agree with you 100%. Well said Edited by Kirby Jackson

A lot of interesting takes in this thread.

I'm totally comfortable with TT/EJ going into the season. EJ is easily top third of backups, and comes relatively cheap, and has an extra year in the system.

It'd be illogical to cut him, or trade him at this point.

Exactly. I can not believe that some of the board is obsessing over the backup QB, when the right side of our OL sucks, we have good DE, and a crap LB corp. As far as priorities go, I'd be hoping for draft picks in those areas as opposed to reaching for yet another quarterback in the post Kelly turnstile.

This is nonsense. You realize the Bills averaged more points and yards in EJ starts than Taylor starts right? Yet, EJ isn't NFL caliber and Taylor is a franchise qb? It makes no sense.

Taylor is the starter because he is much smarter with the ball. But EJ isn't nearly as bad of a backup as some of you want him to be. Besides one of the worst 5 minute stretches in NFL, he was a perfectly capable backup. He played with Watkins for a half in his two games.

Keep our 2 Qbs and draft a guy. Everyone will benefit. EJ won't ever be our franchise. But the hate he has gotten and still gets is kinda embarrassing. But man if only we kept Matt Cassel!

He helped us get back in the league. He gets no credit for that? That stretch would have crushed a lot of guys. He was throwing to Woods, Hogan, and Easley. Mc Coy fumbled inside the 10. The defense couldn't stop Bortles from driving 85 yards in 2 minutes.

But it was all EJ's fault!

Yup. Completely reasonable. Hopefully it works out for everyone.

I think he's a great guy with some great tools. I think his coaching sucked for his first 2 years. Odds are he will never be a starter but he certainly has NFL ability.

Why stress... facts are facts and they have no merit. The masses have made up their minds... when we pay a guy 15 mil a season who in 3 1st halves couldnt even break 50 yards passing. Lets see what will be said then