NFL Network: Bills Will Challenge for AFC East Crown

Kyle:

Older and not very mobile. Responsibilities too far to the left and to the right. People including Rex will blame it on Kyle's age which is only part of the reason. Size and skill set come into play too but admitting this looks bad for Rex.

Dareus:

More running and moving left to right as well as backward and forward. The change will take some getting used to and he will need to be aware of his surroundings which will be different than before. Better chance of getting rolled up in that type of situation....especially early in the season.

Mario:

Baloney. To expect him to excel in a new spot immediately while he knows both what he can do and what the defense as a whole can do is not realistic. He did let his frustration get out of control. I will grant you that. But it had to be tough to know about 5 games into the season that they were squandering potential wins because of the coach's ego and/or ineptitude. It doesn't make what Mario did right. It was immature. But it does help explain it. And Rex said himself that he took for granted that players would simply buy in and that he skated on his own reputation. Does that sound like something a good head coach would do, much less admit that he did? Not to me.

What a bunch of conjetural nonsense.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of conjetural nonsense.

Nice comeback.

And your assertion that the defense will be just fine in 2016 in replete with logic and not conjecture? Got it. It's not like Rex and Rob have failed over and over and over again or things like that.

And Kyle being older and moving to a position requiring more mobility than he has ever needed/shown is not conjecture. It is a fact. Whether or not he can show it is conjecture I suppose. But that is true for pro and con equally.

If the defense gets back to form, basically becomes a typical Rex defense, then they'll be a front-runner for the East. I'm not taking the Pats and Jets lightly, though. The good thing is that the Jets don't have a QB.

Typical Rex defense won't work without very good to great LB corp. I don't know how anyone can project performance until FA and the draft happen.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Nice comeback.

And your assertion that the defense will be just fine in 2016 in replete with logic and not conjecture? Got it. It's not like Rex and Rob have failed over and over and over again or things like that.

And Kyle being older and moving to a position requiring more mobility than he has ever needed/shown is not conjecture. It is a fact. Whether or not he can show it is conjecture I suppose. But that is true for pro and con equally.

I don't need a comeback for your silliness. Kyle and Dareus both showed that they can excel in a very similar 3-4 based defensive scheme in 2013 under Pettine who learned it under Rex. BTW, Your "explanation" about Dareus getting injured in the defense with him going into the 2nd year of the scheme was especially silly.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I don't need a comeback for your silliness. Kyle and Dareus both showed that they can excel in a very similar 3-4 based defensive scheme in 2013 under Pettine who learned it under Rex. BTW, Your "explanation" about Dareus getting injured in the defense with him going into the 2nd year of the scheme was especially silly.

Pardon, my interruption into said silliness.

Everything is going to depend on whether Ryan runs his two-gap scheme like he did basically all last year in Buffalo or switches it up to a one-gap scheme like Pettine ran in 2013 which is what Wade Phillips runs with Denver.

There was a real reason as to why the 2015 Buffalo Bills were so bad in sacks, hits, hurries on opposing QB's and a real reason as to why Dareus was complaining about how he was being utilized in Ryan's scheme since training camp of that year.

All three of the remaining Bills starters for the D-line don't fit in a 3-4 scheme particularly well and it will be taking away from what made two of those three pro bowlers. Dareus is about the perfect size and weight to play NT in Ryan's 3-4 scheme but alas if he wasn't happy playing DT in a two-gap scheme last year I highly doubt he will be any happier this year playing the zero technique while guarding the A gaps so the LBers behind him can make the plays.

Kyle Williams is both undersized in height and weight for what you would want at DE in a 3-4 two-gap scheme in controlling the point of attack so the LBers behind him can make the plays and Jerry Hughes doesn't fit at DE at all so he will be moved to OLBer which carries much more responsibility in pass coverage.

The current Buffalo Bills roster is very much lacking in the type of star linebackers you would need to run a successful 3-4 two-gap or even a 3-4 one-gap scheme unless Doug Whaley is able to pull a few rabbits out of his hat in the upcoming draft. I can see why Rex Ryan ran that zone blitz of his so infrequently last season due to the lack of those star linebackers.

Anyway, when I think back to the 2015 season I still get a kick out of the 2015 Bills coaches stating that they were happy dropping Mario Williams into pass coverage against Dallas as he was successful in disrupting the pass play so LBer Manny Lawson could get the singular hit of the QB for the entire game. Good thing it was Kellen Moore back there making his first NFL start vs the injured starting QB in Tony Romo. This upcoming season opposing QB's must be trembling in their proverbial cleats worrying about a single hit.

In all sincerity, there really isn't much to be hopeful about the defense for the 2016 Buffalo Bills due to the current players on the roster, the salary cap limitations in bringing in top free agents and knowing the Bills will be very lucky indeed if they can find all the players needed to have that 3-4 defense play in a top form.

OTOH, we all still have Sammy, Tyrod, Clay and Shady to get excited about for the upcoming season and hopefully Rex and his fully pregnant brother will keep their noses out of the offense. :lol:

Edited by Nihilarian

Pardon, my interruption into said silliness.

Everything is going to depend on whether Ryan runs his two-gap scheme like he did basically all last year in Buffalo or switches it up to a one-gap scheme like Pettine ran in 2013 which is what Wade Phillips runs with Denver.

There was a real reason as to why the 2015 Buffalo Bills were so bad in sacks, hits, hurries on opposing QB's and a real reason as to why Dareus was complaining about how he was being utilized in Ryan's scheme since training camp of that year.

All three of the remaining Bills starters for the D-line don't fit in a 3-4 scheme particularly well and it will be taking away from what made two of those three pro bowlers. Dareus is about the perfect size and weight to play NT in Ryan's 3-4 scheme but alas if he wasn't happy playing DT in a two-gap scheme last year I highly doubt he will be any happier this year playing the zero technique while guarding the A gaps so the LBers behind him can make the plays.

Kyle Williams is both undersized in height and weight for what you would want at DE in a 3-4 two-gap scheme in controlling the point of attack so the LBers behind him can make the plays and Jerry Hughes doesn't fit at DE at all so he will be moved to OLBer which carries much more responsibility in pass coverage.

The current Buffalo Bills roster is very much lacking in the type of star linebackers you would need to run a successful 3-4 two-gap or even a 3-4 one-gap scheme unless Doug Whaley is able to pull a few rabbits out of his hat in the upcoming draft. I can see why Rex Ryan ran that zone blitz of his so infrequently last season due to the lack of those star linebackers.

Anyway, when I think back to the 2015 season I still get a kick out of the 2015 Bills coaches stating that they were happy dropping Mario Williams into pass coverage against Dallas as he was successful in disrupting the pass play so LBer Manny Lawson could get the singular hit of the QB for the entire game. Good thing it was Kellen Moore back there making his first NFL start vs the injured starting QB in Tony Romo. This upcoming season opposing QB's must be trembling in their proverbial cleats worrying about a single hit.

In all sincerity, there really isn't much to be hopeful about the defense for the 2016 Buffalo Bills due to the current players on the roster, the salary cap limitations in bringing in top free agents and knowing the Bills will be very lucky indeed if they can find all the players needed to have that 3-4 defense play in a top form.

OTOH, we all still have Sammy, Tyrod, Clay and Shady to get excited about for the upcoming season and hopefully Rex and his fully pregnant brother will keep their noses out of the offense. :lol:

Just how big do you think Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson were as 3-4 DEs in Rex' system? Kyle is a good enough athlete with plenty of mass at 310 lbs to play a two gap 3-4 DE. Hughes was already playing OLB in Rex' system as he did in Pettine's in 2013 with plenty of coverage responsibilities. Grumbling aside, Dareus can be effective as a DT or DE with plenty of size, power, and quickness.

rex-d.jpg?w=535

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just how big do you think Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson were as 3-4 DEs in Rex' system? Kyle is a good enough athlete with plenty of mass at 310 lbs to play a two gap 3-4 DE. Hughes was already playing OLB in Rex' system as he did in Pettine's in 2013 with plenty of coverage responsibilities. Grumbling aside, Dareus can be effective as a DT or DE with plenty of size, power, and quickness.

rex-d.jpg?w=535

Both Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus were drafted to play DT in a 4-3 scheme and they both excel at doing so. Hence, the reason both have made the pro bowl playing in a 4-3. OTOH, the 3-4 is a different animal and requires different players whose abilities excel playing in that scheme. Sure, both players can play in that 3-4 scheme but it will be changing up what they do best.

Like I said, everything will depend on if Ryan runs that constant two-gap or changes it up now and again to a one-gap scheme in Buffalo in 2016. You need the bigger sized players to properly run that two-gap scheme IMO. Plus, those first two years with the Jets Ryan blitzed around 50-55% of the QB dropbacks and the following years that dropped to 35% to 30%.

Should Ryan start running a one-gap scheme in Buffalo this year or even variations of a one-gap in which Dareus can fill one side of the A and the LBer fill the other. I'm pretty sure that Dareus won't complain very much at all and the sack total should far exceed that measly 21 sack total of 2015. Then, should he start calling more blitzes than the 10% or so he called in most games last year the sack total and QB pressures should go up even more this year!

What bothered me quite a bit all last year was watching the almost complete reversal in schemes for Buffalo in what Ryan ran with the NY Jets in all his years there. He ran what some refer to as a constant "overload blitz" which meant he usually always sent more pass rushers at the QB then the offense had in blocking. In his own words "I'll bring everyone known to man at you" and then when he came to Buffalo, he did everything but that last year.

rex-d.jpg?w=535

Is the points ranking furthest to the left because it is the most important? Is that the one where Rex hasn't sniffed the top half of the league in over half a decade? When oh when will we sniff the top half of the league again? When we have replaced 5 of our 11 starters from our #4 2014 defense? 8? All 11? Rex is going to be himself you know. He said so when he publicly called out Thurman Thomas in a very productive use of his time.

Doesn't the chart show things trending in the wrong direction?

Edited by 4merper4mer

Is the points ranking furthest to the left because it is the most important? Is that the one where Rex hasn't sniffed the top half of the league in over half a decade? When oh when will we sniff the top half of the league again? When we have replaced 5 of our 11 starters from our #4 2014 defense? 8? All 11? Rex is going to be himself you know. He said so when he publicly called out Thurman Thomas in a very productive use of his time.

Points ranking is likely affected by the atrocious offense the Jets had. Now you could say that was because of how they drafted, but it is more likely related to the offense than the defense.

Points ranking is likely affected by the atrocious offense the Jets had. Now you could say that was because of how they drafted, but it is more likely related to the offense than the defense.

They must have gone 3 and out a lot. :wallbash:

Well thank goodness someone started mixing the Kool Aid. We've had enough doom and gloom around here lately!

I would normally agree with you on the doom and gloom, but when our team can't seem to beat it's way out of a paper bag for the better part of two decades, it's hard not to be.

They must have gone 3 and out a lot. :wallbash:

I get the joke and disagree with Big Cat for the most part. However, I think turnovers on a short field probably led to easy TDs/FGs. Thus the points was high. Should be easy enough for someone to show the turnovers by their offense.

I get the joke and disagree with Big Cat for the most part. However, I think turnovers on a short field probably led to easy TDs/FGs. Thus the points was high. Should be easy enough for someone to show the turnovers by their offense.

6 years and counting........

Newsflash: The last half decade's typical Rex defenses have all sucked. The league has figured out his system and he has not shown any capability to adjust. His brother's defenses have gotten him fired very quickly in multiple places. Now we're combining the two. Call me crazy but I don't think anyone in sees us as a front runner for the East.

Guy took the saints from worst to first in his first year. worst to FIRST. But because they gutted the roster and finished last - thats his fault. Not the GM.

Lol. You're one of those people, apparently.

Thurman "called out" Rex. Rex responded to a question about Thurman saying he learned his lesson.

Guy took the saints from worst to first in his first year. worst to FIRST. But because they gutted the roster and finished last - thats his fault. Not the GM.

Huh?

4 ----> 31 is worst to first?

Ryan, after amassing the No. 4 defense in football back in 2013, embarked on a quest to create the league's most versatile secondary. The Saints inked Jairus Byrd to a lucrative six-year, $54 million deal back in 2014 and handed Brandon Browner a three-year deal in free agency this year, adding him to the mix with first-round pick Kenny Vaccaro at safety.

What ensued, though, was a 2014 where New Orleans ended up with the league's 31st-ranked defense. In 2015, they are dead last.

Of sub par offense....? I agree last year was disappointing, but you keep saying antiquated. I am not sure how you say that or why you dismiss the rankings of total yards allowed?

6 years and running of not being in the top 18 = antiquated. the league moves fast. Points count toward wins and losses. Yards allowed do not.

Look, I want these guys to win more than anyone, it just strongly appears that they simply cannot. Stock market dudes always say past performance is not indicative of future results. That right there is about all for which we can hope.

Edited by 4merper4mer

6 years and running of not being in the top 18 = antiquated. the league moves fast. Points count toward wins and losses. Yards allowed do not.

Look, I want these guys to win more than anyone, it just strongly appears that they simply cannot. Stock market dudes always say past performance is not indicative of future results. That right there is about all for which we can hope.

Do you disagree that the offense can have a large impact on the points allowed?