NFL Network: Bills Will Challenge for AFC East Crown

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz will never get to the playoffs, also Denver is trying to get Kaep so badly it shows how bad Fitz really is.

Crazy to hear Rob Ryan was limited in terms of what he was allowed to do with the NO defense. Who was stopping him?

Sean Payton expected 11 defensive players on the field and in position at the snap of the ball. Rob didn't think it was a priority.

“There were a few things that you looked at from a year ago when you said look, we can’t have X number of snaps with not the right number of guys on the field. You can’t burn timeouts every other week because we cannot get the right personnel on the field. We can’t have guys looking left and right at the snap of the ball – there is a game last season where the first eight plays of the game we are misaligned and we don’t even cover down the right way. Those were just facts and we had to look at hey, as teams have changed offensively, we’ve got to have some flexibility and find a way to reduce the variation on defense.

We’ve got to find a way to get a call in and play a defense without it being a panic where guys are late getting lined up. That was a big thing a year ago and again, a lot of that is the ability to communicate quickly what we’re seeing and what we want to get done, and then make a call. The first opportunity to play good defense is to be set and ready, and know what the call is. I think that would be the first thing that we’re going to work tirelessly on, and I am sure Dennis the same way. Getting these guys set and getting them aligned, and then obviously all 11 to the football.”

http://www.fox8live.com/story/30605303/sean-payton-discusses-bye-week-dismissal-of-rob-ryan

Sounds ..um...eerily familiar.

So between Rex and Rob..maybe we'll get 6 guys in position at the snap of the ball.

But at least they'll fit the system.

Sean Payton expected 11 defensive players on the field and in position at the snap of the ball. Rob didn't think it was a priority.

“There were a few things that you looked at from a year ago when you said look, we can’t have X number of snaps with not the right number of guys on the field. You can’t burn timeouts every other week because we cannot get the right personnel on the field. We can’t have guys looking left and right at the snap of the ball – there is a game last season where the first eight plays of the game we are misaligned and we don’t even cover down the right way. Those were just facts and we had to look at hey, as teams have changed offensively, we’ve got to have some flexibility and find a way to reduce the variation on defense.

We’ve got to find a way to get a call in and play a defense without it being a panic where guys are late getting lined up. That was a big thing a year ago and again, a lot of that is the ability to communicate quickly what we’re seeing and what we want to get done, and then make a call. The first opportunity to play good defense is to be set and ready, and know what the call is. I think that would be the first thing that we’re going to work tirelessly on, and I am sure Dennis the same way. Getting these guys set and getting them aligned, and then obviously all 11 to the football.”

Preston Brown played for the Saints too? Or is there another stupid MLB in the NFL not capable of understanding a simple play call like:

Don Juan-butterfly-clownshoe-stiletto-gap9-pitching wedge-Theoldmanandtheseapage441paragraph1sentence2word6-pedicure-alkalineasinbatterynotbaseballplayer

?

Edited by 4merper4mer

When Wrecks was hired I predicted five to seven wins last year... We got 8, so I was pleasantly surprised... Now with the presence of TWO Ryan Brothers, I'm calling for four to six wins... if Roman's offensive philosophy stays the same, we'll get run off the field by teams like SEA, PIT and AZ... What would it take to compete for the division? -Let's see... A bona fide NFL starting QB.... An OC that's capable of attacking in the red zone.... A HC that isn't trying to re-create the '85 Bears, and a DC that understands (and cares) what his player's do best.

Anything's possible... I just don't anticipate much change beween last season and the upcoming one..

Edited by #34fan

The bills went FOUR and TWO in the AFC East.......guys....FOUR and TWO

They need to steal one from the pats but it is NOT that far off

Not only that, they were undefeated in the 8 games they one, 8-0 baby , 8-0.

Sadly they were 0-8 in the other games. The 2015 rendition of the Bills were an example of a team led by a mediocre GM, a mediocre coach and a mediocre roster leading to the quintessential 8-8 mediocre record.

So far the two big off-season events for the bills are losing Mario Williams and adding Rob Ryan. Feels like more mediocrity is ahead in 2016. The fans who relish continuity should be happy with another 8-8 season though.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/30605303/sean-payton-discusses-bye-week-dismissal-of-rob-ryan

Sounds ..um...eerily familiar.

So between Rex and Rob..maybe we'll get 6 guys in position at the snap of the ball.

But at least they'll fit the system.

The 2013 New Orleans Saints had the #4 defense in points against, #4 in yards against and then two short years later had the worst pass defense the NFL has ever seen. In 2014 when the defense went from 4th to 28th points & 31st yards the HC Sean Payton demanded that Ryan simplify his overly complex defensive scheme and brought in a senior defensive assistant in Dennis Allen to shadow Ryan.

From what I can see it was a confluence of injuries, not so good players and the head coach sticking his nose into the defensive side of things. Not to mention that Rob Ryan has never been that great a DC. I suppose when a team pays their QB as much as Drew Brees is being paid it makes things difficult in acquiring other top players.

For Buffalo in given this years limited ability to bring in top free agents to bolster the defense, I just don't see it being a top ten unit no matter how well Darby and Gilmore play. And as for the bolded, I don't think they do fit the system for the defensive line. None of the three starters left on that line are the right fit players for a 3-4 scheme, and this team needs much better linebackers.

Rex's Jets.

Remember they had that crappy offense with Geno the turnover machine, but a top ten defense?

Hasn't Rex only gone 2 years without a top ten defense? Something like that.

The 4-12 Jets from which Rex was fired? The ones Orton lit up in Detroit?

I bought into the statement that it was Izdik and actually still do to an extent. I'm starting to wonder if maybe is was a design by Johnson to have a reason to let Rex go. They had toyed with it before and Rex is a really good dude and the media in NY would have been crazy. After 4-12 not so much. I don't think it was a full on conspiracy but it was probably a situation where Johnson finally saw Rex's utter ineptitude like we saw last year and had had enough. As you can see from last year, although not perfect, rookie Bowles is 100 times the coach Rex is. Could Rex's defense have been top 10 because the other teams were spending half of every game running out the clock?

I so want to be wrong about these guys but read the post above about NO last year and compare it to the crap we put out there.....same EXACT thing but we have more talent. To get back to a true top 10 defense you have to let Rex pick his top 11 defenders and subs off the rosters of 31 other teams. That Rex all star team could probably get to 8th or 9th in the league but that's it. The scheme is hard to understand for the players and easy to defeat for the other team. Rex should learn to be a head coach and turn over the defense to someone like he turned over the offense.....but as he said to scapegoat of the week Thurman Thomas....he is going to be himself.

Himself is a HC trying to be a DC. Time for a new self....or a new HC.

The 4-12 Jets from which Rex was fired? The ones Orton lit up in Detroit?

I bought into the statement that it was Izdik and actually still do to an extent. I'm starting to wonder if maybe is was a design by Johnson to have a reason to let Rex go. They had toyed with it before and Rex is a really good dude and the media in NY would have been crazy. After 4-12 not so much. I don't think it was a full on conspiracy but it was probably a situation where Johnson finally saw Rex's utter ineptitude like we saw last year and had had enough. As you can see from last year, although not perfect, rookie Bowles is 100 times the coach Rex is. Could Rex's defense have been top 10 because the other teams were spending half of every game running out the clock?

I so want to be wrong about these guys but read the post above about NO last year and compare it to the crap we put out there.....same EXACT thing but we have more talent. To get back to a true top 10 defense you have to let Rex pick his top 11 defenders and subs off the rosters of 31 other teams. That Rex all star team could probably get to 8th or 9th in the league but that's it. The scheme is hard to understand for the players and easy to defeat for the other team. Rex should learn to be a head coach and turn over the defense to someone like he turned over the offense.....but as he said to scapegoat of the week Thurman Thomas....he is going to be himself.

Himself is a HC trying to be a DC. Time for a new self....or a new HC.

The superior Coach Bowles lost to the idiot named Rex Ryan twice. Antiquated! :lol: :lol:

The superior Coach Bowles lost to the idiot named Rex Ryan twice. Antiquated! :lol: :lol:

He took Rex's 4-12 team to 10-6. Do you think Jets management regrets letting go of Rex? I'm not too high on the Jets prospects for 2016 personally, but you know their fans are thinking the losses to an otherwise 6-8 team coached by a train wreck kept them from being 12-4 and having home field for the playoffs. They have to be looking at year two of Rex''s tenure as a chance for them to gain two wins.

Dude, it is cool to be an optimist and as I stated I hope you are right and I am wrong and you mock me throughout the 2016 season. I look forward to it with enthusiasm. It will be much more fun than the far more likely eventuality of watching the tire fire Rex started in 2015 burn out of control.

Please, and I have begged for this, show me a tangible reason that Rex will be able to turn the team around, particularly on the defensive side. FWIW I don't think whining about Thurman Thomas will have an impact. Please don't base it on how good we were in 2015, because we weren't.

They might be. Too early to say because they have a lot of work to do. I know they have good talent and have potential to do better with this being the 2nd year under the same schemes on offense and defense. But to dismiss it out of hand is just plain silly IMO.

I already provided this answer as to why they could be better than last year. Additionally they could have great fortune with regard to good health with key players much unlike 2015 when so many were out due to injury. They also need to find 2-3 key contributors in the draft as they did last season and that IMO is achievable given the strength of talent where help is needed

He took Rex's 4-12 team to 10-6. Do you think Jets management regrets letting go of Rex? I'm not too high on the Jets prospects for 2016 personally, but you know their fans are thinking the losses to an otherwise 6-8 team coached by a train wreck kept them from being 12-4 and having home field for the playoffs. They have to be looking at year two of Rex''s tenure as a chance for them to gain two wins.

Dude, it is cool to be an optimist and as I stated I hope you are right and I am wrong and you mock me throughout the 2016 season. I look forward to it with enthusiasm. It will be much more fun than the far more likely eventuality of watching the tire fire Rex started in 2015 burn out of control.

Please, and I have begged for this, show me a tangible reason that Rex will be able to turn the team around, particularly on the defensive side. FWIW I don't think whining about Thurman Thomas will have an impact. Please don't base it on how good we were in 2015, because we weren't.

Yep, whatever you say Nancy. The personnel on the NYJ wasn't the same as in the previous year with a new GM in place who made key additions such as Revis, Brandon Marshall, and Fitz. The Bills finished at 8-8 including a 2-0 record over the great NYJ. What a Tire fire!

I get it. You're on the record after having fallen into a Nancy mindset and you can't get up.

I already provided this answer as to why they could be better than last year. Additionally they could have great fortune with regard to good health with key players much unlike 2015 when so many were out due to injury. They also need to find 2-3 key contributors in the draft as they did last season and that IMO is achievable given the strength of talent where help is needed

Yep, whatever you say Nancy. The personnel on the NYJ wasn't the same as in the previous year with a new GM in place who made key additions such as Revis, Brandon Marshall, and Fitz. The Bills finished at 8-8 including a 2-0 record over the great NYJ. What a Tire fire!

I get it. You're on the record after having fallen into a Nancy mindset and you can't get up.

Nancy as in Negative Nancy? Fine if you look at it that way Positive Pollyanna.

Just because you are worried that I am right does not mean you need to call me names. I am hopeful that you are right.

As for your answer, it is all we can grasp at but it is not very realistic. The fully pregnant defense, according to Rex himself, will be different than what we ran as a "hybrid" last year. It can't be worse but it won't be the second year in any system. It is another new system. There are injuries every year and to blame 2015 on injuries is simply ridiculous. Why not just go full Big Cat and blame it on Da'Norris friggin Searcy?

Rex's "system" evidently involves getting rid of a former #1 overall.....check.....and moving at least one of two of the remaining 3 DL into positions where they don't fit....in progress. Kyle does not fit 3-4 at all and Dareus would be a waste at NT and a ? as end. Don't worry though we're still on the hook for his contract. We'll need Stephen Hawking to play MLB but his speed is a question mark. Still he will be able to understand the play calls and with his understanding of space time we may be able to time warp and allow ourselves to get the play call to the field on time. That would be a plus and something neither Rex nor Rob has been able to do.

Nancy as in Negative Nancy? Fine if you look at it that way Positive Pollyanna.

Just because you are worried that I am right does not mean you need to call me names. I am hopeful that you are right.

As for your answer, it is all we can grasp at but it is not very realistic. The fully pregnant defense, according to Rex himself, will be different than what we ran as a "hybrid" last year. It can't be worse but it won't be the second year in any system. It is another new system. There are injuries every year and to blame 2015 on injuries is simply ridiculous. Why not just go full Big Cat and blame it on Da'Norris friggin Searcy?

Rex's "system" evidently involves getting rid of a former #1 overall.....check.....and moving at least one of two of the remaining 3 DL into positions where they don't fit....in progress. Kyle does not fit 3-4 at all and Dareus would be a waste at NT and a ? as end. Don't worry though we're still on the hook for his contract. We'll need Stephen Hawking to play MLB but his speed is a question mark. Still he will be able to understand the play calls and with his understanding of space time we may be able to time warp and allow ourselves to get the play call to the field on time. That would be a plus and something neither Rex nor Rob has been able to do.

Yeah OK. Rex has never enjoyed success in the NFL. You trying to discuss deployment of DL personnel as if you know what you're talking about. :lol: At any rate, 2015 is over. We're on to 2016 Nancy.

Yeah OK. Rex has never enjoyed success in the NFL. You trying to discuss deployment of DL personnel as if you know what you're talking about. :lol: At any rate, 2015 is over. We're on to 2016 Nancy.

Rex and Rob both literally had trouble getting the defense to even know what play was called with one second to go before the snap. There was no such issue when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were on the field and the league hadn't figured out how to beat this defense. Whoop de do. Now teams hurry up and change their personnel rapidly....even teams that don't ordinarily employ this tactic....because they know Rex will be flummoxed.

Explain to me where Kyle Williams fits in Rex's scheme.

Explain how Dareus' skills are maximized?

Does Mario Williams, one of the most talented defensive players in football fit?......... :oops:

These explanations would help build my confidence that you are right. Calling me stupid over and over and over again, while possibly true, does nothing to explain anything. It is as if you think the burden of proof as to why it won't work is on anyone you perceive as negative. It's not. The burden of proof is on the people who think it will work. Why? 2015. That's why.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Explain to me where Kyle Williams fits in Rex's scheme.

Explain how Dareus' skills are maximized?

Does Mario Williams, one of the most talented defensive players in football fit?......... :oops:

These explanations would help build my confidence that you are right. Calling me stupid over and over and over again, while possibly true, does nothing to explain anything. It is as if you think the burden of proof as to why it won't work is on anyone you perceive as negative. It's not. The burden of proof is on the people who think it will work. Why? 2015. That's why.

Kyle Williams will can and will do the job as a 3-4 end.

Dareus will fit as a DE in a 3 man front and as a DT whenever they are in a 4 man front. He's versatile enough to excel in any defense because he has the size, power, and athleticism to be effective anchoring against the run as a DE or pushing the pocket as a DT.

Mario, irrespective of outstanding talent doesn't fit in any defense when playing in self preservation mode as an overpaid malcontent who gives a half-assed effort like he did last season with the Bills. He flat out stole money from the organization and should be ashamed.

Kyle Williams will can and will do the job as a 3-4 end.

Dareus will fit as a DE in a 3 man front and as a DT whenever they are in a 4 man front. He's versatile enough to excel in any defense because he has the size, power, and athleticism to be effective anchoring against the run as a DE or pushing the pocket as a DT.

Mario, irrespective of outstanding talent doesn't fit in any defense when playing in self preservation mode as an overpaid malcontent who gives a half-assed effort like he did last season with the Bills. He flat out stole money from the organization and should be ashamed.

So all 3 with pro-Rex views. I'm not surprised. Here is my take:

Sadly, Kyle Williams is not a fit at any position in 3-4.

Dareus excels as a DT in 4-3, which we will not be running when fully pregnant. He will do fine as an end in a 3-4 but will simply be above average...not excel. He is more likely to be injured than before and his talent will not be maximized by any means.

Mario, despite his own poor reaction to the situation, was put in a situation where he was going to fail. He failed. Then he pouted. That is on him, but not just him. Rex was handed a boatload of talent and he square pegged the whole thing. Now a key peg in what had already been a very strong defense is gone.

So all 3 with pro-Rex views. I'm not surprised. Here is my take:

Sadly, Kyle Williams is not a fit at any position in 3-4.

Dareus excels as a DT in 4-3, which we will not be running when fully pregnant. He will do fine as an end in a 3-4 but will simply be above average...not excel. He is more likely to be injured than before and his talent will not be maximized by any means.

Mario, despite his own poor reaction to the situation, was put in a situation where he was going to fail. He failed. Then he pouted. That is on him, but not just him. Rex was handed a boatload of talent and he square pegged the whole thing. Now a key peg in what had already been a very strong defense is gone.

Why doesn't Kyle fit? Break it down in your won words and explain why he played well in Pettine's scheme that is very similar to Rex's. Why is Dareus more likely to be injured? BS on Mario! He could have been an excellent 5 technique in Rex's Scheme if he put the work and effort in.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Why doesn't Kyle fit? Break it down in your won words. Why is Dareus more likely to be injured? BS on Mario! He could have been an excellent 5 technique in Rex's Scheme if he put the work and effort in.

Kyle:

Older and not very mobile. Responsibilities too far to the left and to the right. People including Rex will blame it on Kyle's age which is only part of the reason. Size and skill set come into play too but admitting this looks bad for Rex.

Dareus:

More running and moving left to right as well as backward and forward. The change will take some getting used to and he will need to be aware of his surroundings which will be different than before. Better chance of getting rolled up in that type of situation....especially early in the season.

Mario:

Baloney. To expect him to excel in a new spot immediately while he knows both what he can do and what the defense as a whole can do is not realistic. He did let his frustration get out of control. I will grant you that. But it had to be tough to know about 5 games into the season that they were squandering potential wins because of the coach's ego and/or ineptitude. It doesn't make what Mario did right. It was immature. But it does help explain it. And Rex said himself that he took for granted that players would simply buy in and that he skated on his own reputation. Does that sound like something a good head coach would do, much less admit that he did? Not to me.