North Carolina GOP Block Gay Anti-Discrimintion Law

this law doesn't practically address any of these concerns. it's largely unenforceable. how would law enforcement enact it? post sentries at all public restrooms and locker rooms? ridiculous...molestation and sexual harassment is already illegal. many of the scenarios put forth as practical concerns are covered by existing laws.

This observation brought to you by the people who think making guns more illegal will keep guns from criminals.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DC Tom nicely laid out the applicable nature of the law.

As for the enforcement, you used to be able to throw a man in jail for even peeking in a woman's locker room. Now that man (who saw no harm in reducing himself to peeking in a woman's locker room) can now stroll in, get naked, and observe and you don't see a privacy concern with that. In what scenario could he be removed? Does he have to be obvious in order to be arrested?

It is just interesting to note that we are very worried about Trans people's rights and sure that's great, but are opening the door for people to violate privacy rights across the board. I also don't think a grown man getting naked in a woman's locker room is acceptable solution either. But if women are ok with it then whatever, but something tells me they are being bullied into thinking it's bigoted to think it's not ok.

Edited by What a Tuel

As for the enforcement, you used to be able to throw a man in jail for even peeking in a woman's locker room. Now that man (who saw no harm in reducing himself to peeking in a woman's locker room) can now stroll in, get naked, and observe and you don't see a privacy concern with that. In what scenario should he be removed?

He's not wrong about the enforceability of it. What, you're going to be required to carry around your birth certificate to take a piss?

The whole thing is very silly, on both sides of the "debate."

He's not wrong about the enforceability of it. What, you're going to be required to carry around your birth certificate to take a piss?

The whole thing is very silly, on both sides of the "debate."

That is why free for all" solution is not viable. It makes way too many aspects of behavior unenforceable.

I do not want my Trans friend changing in the same locker room as my niece no matter what he/she identifies as. That is inappropriate in my opinion and I am not a bigot for that reason.

The whole thing is silly, but there has to be a well thought out alternative to the law and free for all methods.

...this has nothing to do with my personal intellect.

For you it does because you are the one referencing the "imbeciles and anti-intellectuals."

That can only be based on the fact that you feel your "personal intellect" is superior to them thar imbeciles in NC. And the only reason you believe you're intellectually superior is because you were told so by people you paid to tell you you're an intellectual.

Funny. I would have thought you were more intellectual than this.

You should ask for your money back.

they have them all over appalachia. I would be no more likely to gauge public opinion on crowd response at a race than I would at a lecture hall full of conferencing social workers in Charlottesville.

they have them all over the country you ignorant !@#$. And if you have been to the Midwest at all you'd realize that most people are not as enlightened as you are in your high class ways, clearly.

Equating NASCAR fans to just simply the southern narrow minded groups is ridiculous.

Can I take a piss next to your little girl? Can my grandma walk in the bathroom and piss in the urinal next to your son?

Puhlease - This law was nothing more than a bunch of people whose time has past grasping at the last straw...and now loving that the Feds got involved...and if you and your conservative beat writers don't see it as much you are simply blind...

this law was municipalities in NC over reaching their states laws and enacting laws which do not comply with state law. Mecklenburg and wake co tried to rub it in the face of the rest of the state creating higher min wage and bathroom laws.

The majority of the state is not Charlotte or rdu

this is on the governor. if he really cared about the people in his state he'd never have considered this bill. modern, contemporary industries that care about public perception have already changed plans to locate in nc. they aren't going to reconsider anytime soon. it's not like nc is made up of interconnected research triangles. there are more than enough unemployed and underemployed people there. but let's make the bathroom habits of a tiny fraction of the population an issue with higher priority than high paying jobs and , oh, btw, public education which is the ultimate solution to better long term job prospects to those same people. it's a sorry state of affairs and educated people almost everywhere think less of the state of nc.

this is the mind think of the idiots who think its on the governor. Do you live here or listen to what we are saying in our own state? !@#$ off from NC. Don't like It? Don't come to NC. We won't miss you.

Well since private industry is NOT required to follow the law, you might want to re-phrase portions of your lecture.

and again, again and again.

The Governor was not responsible for this.

He is being singled out by those on the left who hope to make him give in to economic blackmail.

He IS standing up for the state......see post 106

its an attack of mccrory because they want him out of office. He I dangerous to Democrats. This state can't be lost to Republicans. Its been a Democratic strong point to the level of retardation.

paying teachers some of the lowest average wages in the country is anti-intellectual. driving teachers out of the state in hordes is anti-intellectual. dismissing the value of public education is anti intellectual. that's how they roll in nc. this has nothing to do with my personal intellect.

teachers are idiots in masse. So what's your point?

As for the enforcement, you used to be able to throw a man in jail for even peeking in a woman's locker room. Now that man (who saw no harm in reducing himself to peeking in a woman's locker room) can now stroll in, get naked, and observe and you don't see a privacy concern with that. In what scenario could he be removed? Does he have to be obvious in order to be arrested?

No you won't

It is just interesting to note that we are very worried about Trans people's rights and sure that's great, but are opening the door for people to violate privacy rights across the board. I also don't think a grown man getting naked in a woman's locker room is acceptable solution either. But if women are ok with it then whatever, but something tells me they are being bullied into thinking it's bigoted to think it's not ok.

Of course it is, this is a play to the base culture issue.

yes. and nc is the proxy battleground. it's a shame that most nc residents don't realize that they've become, by way of yttheir pols, a cultural vietnam.

yes. and nc is the proxy battleground. it's a shame that most nc residents don't realize that they've become, by way of yttheir pols, a cultural vietnam.

You're probably one of those people who equates the NC law to Jim Crow laws, right?

Edited by LABillzFan

vendors? paypal can administer and run their company from anywhere (except nc).. there's no vacuum. there's a global market and global facility and incentive opportunities. same for the pharma company that pulled out. same with lionsgate movie making locations or the choice of venue for the nba all star game. and more will likely follow. it's tougher to recruit top talent especially in highly technical and advanced degree requiring fields to jobs in a state perceived as backwards. employers in these fields are cognizant of this.

the only vacuum in this story is the huge potential pile of money being sucked up away from nc.

now we can add furniture dollars to the hoover bag. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/how-north-carolinas-bathroom-law-sparked-a-business-backlash/.

And, as I said, replacement dollars will flow in. The NC business climate is very favorable compared to most other areas of the country.

And, as I said, replacement dollars will flow in. The NC business climate is very favorable compared to most other areas of the country.

I don't know. I remember when everyone decided to boycott Arizona because of SB 1070 now that state is reduced to nothing but desert.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Well, I'm sure things will be worse in NC...the state of anti-intellectuals. :lol:

You're probably one of those people who equates the NC law to Jim Crow laws, right?

i'm not equating it to anything. it's a stupid law with no or minimal practical effect. it's a culture battle in a culture war being fought by the far right in a state chosen by their elites (read the Koch's). the education issue is part of the same proxy war. too bad that in the short term regular folks that work in places like furniture factories will pay a price for this war.

Edited by birdog1960

glad we country bumpkins can be educated by you smart college folks.

Can i take a shower w your wife?

i'm not equating it to anything. it's a stupid law with no or minimal practical effect. it's a culture battle in a culture war being fought by the far right in a state chosen by their elites (read the Koch's). the education issue is part of the same proxy war. too bad that in the short term regular folks that work in places like furniture factories will pay a price for this war.

wait? Its a republican battle? How so? We in NC vote. We had a law passed biparti bipartisan. Now the left decries it an issue? Wait. Huh?

Can I watch your mom take a deuce?

glad we country bumpkins can be educated by you smart college folks.

Can i take a shower w your wife?

wait? Its a republican battle? How so? We in NC vote. We had a law passed biparti bipartisan. Now the left decries it an issue? Wait. Huh?

Can I watch your mom take a deuce?

seems the bumpkins are the minority in your state. from the pbs article I linked:

ROBEN FARZAD: North Carolinians have mixed views on HB2; 38 percent support it in general, but more than half believe people should use the bathroom of their birth.

It boggles the mind that you consider yourself an intellectual.

I can't imagine it takes much to boggle your mind. anything the least bit nebulous or gray is likely to do that. thinking in black and white is your forte'

seems the bumpkins are the minority in your state. from the pbs article I linked:

ROBEN FARZAD: North Carolinians have mixed views on HB2; 38 percent support it in general, but more than half believe people should use the bathroom of their birth.

I can't imagine it takes much to boggle your mind. anything the least bit nebulous or gray is likely to do that. thinking in black and white is your forte'

so the article said more than half say you should use your bathroom of birth yet there is a poll saying 38% support the bill. Me thinks the poll was not accurate and the question and bill no understood.

God damn youre a dense man

Can I tinkle next to your niece?

That's the most amazing thing about it. I readily admit I'm not that intelligent, and yet even I consider you lacking in any form of intelligence.

Do you realize how stupid you have to be for ME to think you're stupid? Pretty phucking stupid.

I'm glad we have consensus on this now.

You mean the public furniture factories? So Charlotte's City Council passes a law allowing people to use the restroom of their self-identification, and the State passes a law prohibiting that and keeping the status quo. The city ordnance w

as setting up a very slippery slope with huge unintended (or intended) consequences. If Charlotte eventually prevails what's to prevent you from traveling to that city, self identifying as a bull and having your way with Elsie since the Beastialitality Laws have been rendered meaningless?

You mean the public furniture factories? So Charlotte's City Council passes a law allowing people to use the restroom of their self-identification, and the State passes a law prohibiting that and keeping the status quo. The city ordnance w

as setting up a very slippery slope with huge unintended (or intended) consequences. If Charlotte eventually prevails what's to prevent you from traveling to that city, self identifying as a bull and having your way with Elsie since the Beastialitality Laws have been rendered meaningless?

You are a complete idiot