Did You Ever Wonder Why............?

Chef Jim

Why do buildings burn up when they burn down?

"Burn up" refers to the consumption of fuel. "Burn down" refers to the destruction of the structure.

Why do we have to, too and two in the English language?

"To" and "two" have different roots (proto-Germanic "tiz" and "twa"). They're different words that happened to evolve to sound the same in modern English.

"Too" is a relatively modern branching off "to," which were the same word in Old English. (So when you type "Me to" on the board here, you're technically not wrong. If you're Chaucer. You're not Chaucer, so don't !@#$ing do it.)

"Burn up" refers to the consumption of fuel. "Burn down" refers to the destruction of the structure.

"To" and "two" have different roots (proto-Germanic "tiz" and "twa"). They're different words that happened to evolve to sound the same in modern English.

"Too" is a relatively modern branching off "to," which were the same word in Old English. (So when you type "Me to" on the board here, you're technically not wrong. If you're Chaucer. You're not Chaucer, so don't !@#$ing do it.)

:wallbash::doh::rolleyes:

Did you come up with that off the top of your head? Talk about esoteric, probably only a very small number of people would know any of that. So among the people around here impressed with your noodle is, me to or maybe me too.

Did you come up with that off the top of your head? Talk about esoteric, probably only a very small number of people would know any of that. So among the people around here impressed with your noodle is, me to or maybe me too.

I knew the root of "two," and that "too" and "to" are more recently related. The root of "to," I used my Google-fu.

My point, though, was that unlike you peasants, I never "wonder why." I just know.

I knew the root of "two," and that "too" and "to" are more recently related. The root of "to," I used my Google-fu.

My point, though, was that unlike you peasants, I never "wonder why." I just know.

Thank you sir.... May I have another...