No progress toward TT extension per Carucci; agent unhappy

The Bills did the right thing with TT. If he plays well this season and deserves a big dollar contract, he will get it. The bills will need to create cap space and it may be a tough pill to swallow for some. In 2017 the following guys would be at risk of being cut to make room for TT and his 18-20 million contract.

Kyle Williams - 6.8 million savings - 1.5 dead money; Eric Wood - 4.5 million savings and 1.8 dead money; Corey Graham - 3.7 million savings and 1.6 dead money and Dan Carpenter 2.4 million savings and 500k dead. There are no others with big hits that are or maybe expendable. Cutting five guys at 1 million does not come close to opening up the cap space needed. We need to draft a center this year ( I was glad to see one was signed yesterday), a DT and a QB? If TT does not play well then we go forward with Plan B. ( that's why I am not opposed to drafting a QB early) Just my thoughts on the TT contract issues.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope...I'd be saying the exact same thing that I've been saying since December:

- I mostly liked what I saw last year

- He needs to learn to speed up his snap-to-release time

- He needs to learn to climb to safety and not bail out of the back of the pocket

- He needs to improve upon his ability to see and utilize the middle of the field

I have no idea why you're in such a rush to paint anyone that hasn't anointed Taylor as unreasonable.

Neither of those statements are even remotely true in any way whatsoever.

We're being analytical with regard to the most important position in the game. It's completely rational in every way, and I have no clue why it bothers you so much.

All those things you have mentioned are true.....

Its just that TT brings some other things to the field that are truly exceptional.....if he can fix a couple of things on your list he is worth that 18 million or whatever

The Bills did the right thing with TT. If he plays well this season and deserves a big dollar contract, he will get it. The bills will need to create cap space and it may be a tough pill to swallow for some. In 2017 the following guys would be at risk of being cut to make room for TT and his 18-20 million contract.

Kyle Williams - 6.8 million savings - 1.5 dead money; Eric Wood - 4.5 million savings and 1.8 dead money; Corey Graham - 3.7 million savings and 1.6 dead money and Dan Carpenter 2.4 million savings and 500k dead. There are no others with big hits that are or maybe expendable. Cutting five guys at 1 million does not come close to opening up the cap space needed. We need to draft a center this year ( I was glad to see one was signed yesterday), a DT and a QB? If TT does not play well then we go forward with Plan B. ( that's why I am not opposed to drafting a QB early) Just my thoughts on the TT contract issues.

They are already projected to have $50M+ in cap room in 2017. All of those moves will not be required.

If a 1st round pick QB had Taylor's season we would be falling all over ourselves declaring him the franchise savior.

So the big knock against TT is he wasn't clutch enough in a few games? First year starter couldn't play like Joe Montana in his prime? No unreasonable expectations here.

Rational? See my above comment? We are parsing TT's season to avoid praising him because we convinced ourselves a 6th round, 4 year backup can't be any good.

At the same time we get a boner for every 1st round washout or unproven college QB. That is the antithesis of rational.

but heres the difference, first year guy would be under contract for at least 3 more years(granted i am thinking rookie) . Think RG3 first year, think Trent first year, hell even EJ's first year was not god awful. Thank God all those GM's had follow on years to evaluate. also, think of guys who had one and only one good season and got way overpaid after that..Scott Mitchell comes to mind. Taking a 2nd year before handing out huge money hurts no one.

That may well be the case. My only concern is giving TT a reason to leave the Bills. If you have teams ready to give you a fat contract now but the Bills want to wait and see while you make 10% of what you could be making, that could leave a bad taste.

Now add to that the blame some people hang on you when a couple games were lost thanks to crap defense.

Had other games that were won cause of very good to great D..Tennesee and both Jets games come to mind. Hell , the Gint game could have been won with some points, as well as the 2nd NE game... so can't have it both ways.

Edited by plenzmd1

All those things you have mentioned are true.....

Its just that TT brings some other things to the field that are truly exceptional.....if he can fix a couple of things on your list he is worth that 18 million or whatever

John, is that any different from what I just said?

He and his agent agreed to a contract. No sense in his agent bitching about it now. The blame game is weak because last time I checked football is a team game.

Jason Peters and the late Eugene Parker might have a different take on the finality of contracts.

Team game, huh? Tell that to people who blame TT for not being clutch while saying nothing about a defense that let teams score at will at times.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Jason Peters and the late Eugene Parker might have a different take on the finality of contracts.

Team game, huh? Tell that to people who blame TT for not being clutch while saying nothing about a defense that let teams score at will at times.

And if Tyrod is determined to force a trade, then great, he can try (he isn't, from what I can tell). The Peters situation was completely different--the guy was a 1st team all-pro, not a pro bowler by default because nobody else wanted to play in the game.

Again, I don't understand what that second statement is supposed to mean. Is it your opinion that Tyrod's play cannot be critiqued because the defense wasn't good? That makes no sense.

If a 1st round pick QB had Taylor's season we would be falling all over ourselves declaring him the franchise savior.

So the big knock against TT is he wasn't clutch enough in a few games? First year starter couldn't play like Joe Montana in his prime? No unreasonable expectations here.

Rational? See my above comment? We are parsing TT's season to avoid praising him because we convinced ourselves a 6th round, 4 year backup can't be any good.

At the same time we get a boner for every 1st round washout or unproven college QB. That is the antithesis of rational.

Yea, your post is the antithesis of a rational assessment of the discussion taking place

And if Tyrod is determined to force a trade, then great, he can try (he isn't, from what I can tell). The Peters situation was completely different--the guy was a 1st team all-pro, not a pro bowler by default because nobody else wanted to play in the game.

Again, I don't understand what that second statement is supposed to mean. Is it your opinion that Tyrod's play cannot be critiqued because the defense wasn't good? That makes no sense.

We'll never see eye to eye so let's just leave it at that. But no one judges players by the same yardstick. I see people here willing to get rid of TT for 3rd while hanging the team future on college QB. That is nuts to me.

He's somehow twisting it up that several are out to show tyrod sucks for some reason. Somehow "wait and see because we don't know" is equating to "Tyrods a flop and we should move on urgently" in how he's addressing the discussion. Any weakness mentioned, or poor game means we are somehow twisting and turning trying to make him look bad just for the heck of it.

We'll never see eye to eye so let's just leave it at that. But no one judges players by the same yardstick. I see people here willing to get rid of TT for 3rd while hanging the team future on college QB. That is nuts to me.

That's literally one guy in a different thread.

Time will tell who was closer to being right, correct?

No right now I can see that your evaluation of what people are communicating to you does not match the sentiment of what they are saying. No wait and see needed on that. I wasn't addressing his play but your poor reading of the chatter here (which seems to have continued in this reply too)

He's somehow twisting it up that several are out to show tyrod sucks for some reason. Somehow "wait and see because we don't know" is equating to "Tyrods a flop and we should move on urgently" in how he's addressing the discussion. Any weakness mentioned, or poor game means we are somehow twisting and turning trying to make him look bad just for the heck of it.

That's literally one guy in a different thread.

And I'm saying "wait and see" is something that has never been applied to another QB. If Brock Osweiler were offered in trade to the Bills, who would say wait and see? Edited by PromoTheRobot

but heres the difference, first year guy would be under contract for at least 3 more years(granted i am thinking rookie) . Think RG3 first year, think Trent first year, hell even EJ's first year was not god awful. Thank God all those GM's had follow on years to evaluate. also, think of guys who had one and only one good season and got way overpaid after that..Scott Mitchell comes to mind. Taking a 2nd year before handing out huge money hurts no one.

Had other games that were won cause of very good to great D..Tennesee and both Jets games come to mind. Hell , the Gint game could have been won with some points, as well as the 2nd NE game... so can't have it both ways.

my thoughts exactly

Indeed...I'm in the same boat as you: trying to figure out where the miscommunication is occurring.

No right now I can see that your evaluation of what people are communicating to you does not match the sentiment of what they are saying. No wait and see needed on that. I wasn't addressing his play but your poor reading of the chatter here (which seems to have continued in this reply too)

Time will tell who was closer to being right, correct?

Jesus, am i missing something here? I see very few, as in next to no one, saying TT cant be the Bills franchise QB.

all anyone is saying is most people would say a career is not made in one season, there were some flaws that hopefully he can correct and he is still UNDR CONTRACT. And if he performs, he will be franchised.The Bills will NOT lose him if he is good!

You want to bet the future cap on a wager you DO NOT need to make...you have him under contract.

And just casue the agent is scared TT might not have as good as a year next year and his commission will fall, a competent GM will not make the same mistake.

And I'm saying "wait and see" is something that has never been applied to another QB. If Brock Osweiler were offered in trade to the Bills, who would say wait and see?

It's been applied to plenty of qbs around the league. Obviously a trade comes with a "decide right now" factor. I would not make that trade (call that pro-Tyrod), but I am quite alright waiting out the contract (somehow anti-tyrod?)

Andrew luck is entering the final year of his deal and I think it's fine to let him play it out, I don't think the saints were wrong with it with brees, flacco played his deal out... Letting a guy play isn't crazy or somehow wanting to get rid of him. Unlike those guys TT has a small resume today. There's not a race to get it done, so let's see how it goes since we can. If the deal expired this offseason plenty of people would have different sentiment

Edited by NoSaint

Indeed...I'm in the same boat as you: trying to figure out where the miscommunication is occurring.

To be fair to Promo....there is in fact a cluster of posters who go out of their way to say Tyrod sucks even though the data doesnt support it.

Now.....I think Promo (who is a good poster jesus stop piling on him people) is taking it one step further and defending him from the "fence sitters"........heck...it looks to me like the bills organization are "fence sitters" right now as well and that is fine because Tyrod IS under contract.

My own point of view? Tyrod Taylor is the real deal......he may not be a top 5 guy but he is definately a good QB....he brings things to the table that other QBs do not......and if he can just up his game in a couple of other areas this guy could be in the top 8 of the league quick.

I am for sure not knocking him, i am as excited as hell !!!