No progress toward TT extension per Carucci; agent unhappy

this could play out just like denver and osweiller

team is stuck in cap jail

Bills wait til next year.....TT leaves in free agency

Next year when the Bills have a ton more cap space to spend, and are willing to do so, and still have the Franchise tag in their pocket? That next year?

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year when the Bills have a ton more cap space to spend, and are willing to do so, and still have the Franchise tag in their pocket? That next year?

and what if they are forced to choose who to tag between Glenn, Gilmore and Tyrod ??

and what if they are forced to choose who to tag between Glenn, Gilmore and Tyrod ??

So it's your assumption that they won't sign either of Glenn or Gilmore, let alone both?

If not, then what's the point of even asking that question, aside from playing Devil's Advocate?

And to answer, is that really even a decision? If Tyrod plays well, you tag the QB.

if tyrod plays well that answer seems pretty easy.

and odds are atleast 1 if not both of the others get signed by week 1

yes. this.

Glenn will get done this year, and I trust Doug to get Gilmore done as well. Not real worried about it with our available cap space increase, and the recent history of willingness to spend money on our own players.

if tyrod plays well that answer seems pretty easy.

and odds are atleast 1 if not both of the others get signed by week 1

and I certainly hope you are right

but there is no way Glenn and Gilmore are giving a hometown discount, in fact I expect each to set a new market high and sign above the franchise tag or just wait for free agency.

Edited by papazoid

and I certainly hope you are right

but there is no way Glenn and Gilmore are giving a hometown discount, in fact I expect each to set a new market high and sign above the franchise tag or just wait for free agency.

Who said they'd give a hometown discount?

Haven't we all just assumed they'd both get $13Mish per year?

So it's your assumption that they won't sign either of Glenn or Gilmore, let alone both?

If not, then what's the point of even asking that question, aside from playing Devil's Advocate?

And to answer, is that really even a decision? If Tyrod plays well, you tag the QB.

they will only sign glenn & gilmore this season if they pony up.......there isn't going to be any team friendly deals like they got with Ritchie.

they will only sign glenn & gilmore this season if they pony up.......there isn't going to be any team friendly deals like they got with Ritchie.

Who said they'd give a hometown discount?

Haven't we all just assumed they'd both get $13Mish per year?

This feels a little chicken little to me. There is no reason to believe that they wont get Glenn AND Gilmore done. That is their goal and they are in fine position to do it. If it comes to it next year they will go the Cousins route with Tyrod. They can tag him and work on the extension.

I know that everyone feels like the sky is falling with our cap situation but I just don't see it. Mario was the one big name guy to leave and we all knew 3 or 4 years ago that he wouldn't be playing 2016 on that deal. They lost some of their depth but no one irreplaceable. If the Bills complete the extensions for Gilmore and Glenn they have virtually all of their best players under multi year deals. They will have to pay Tyrod and Watkins in the near future but they have the ammo to do it. If your long term money is on Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, McCoy, Hughes, Watkins and Tyrod what is the problem? Your best players are the ones that you have signed. That is the goal. You need to keep drafting well to back fill the depth but it isn't like the Bills are loaded with bad contracts. This isn't an Albert Haynesworth scenario.

How do they extend him right now, they don't have any cap room?

The guy has got to want at least 14M average (that's gotta be the very low end)and there's no way we have that cap room without several massive contracts being restructured. Is the agent stupid?

How do you benefit complaining to the media? Everyone understand the situation. the player wants to get paid, the team want to see more. The media aspect isn't going to make thing get better. If the agent is smart, ask for something that includes a No Franchise Tag clause.

This feels a little chicken little to me. There is no reason to believe that they wont get Glenn AND Gilmore done. That is their goal and they are in fine position to do it. If it comes to it next year they will go the Cousins route with Tyrod. They can tag him and work on the extension.

I know that everyone feels like the sky is falling with our cap situation but I just don't see it. Mario was the one big name guy to leave and we all knew 3 or 4 years ago that he wouldn't be playing 2016 on that deal. They lost some of their depth but no one irreplaceable. If the Bills complete the extensions for Gilmore and Glenn they have virtually all of their best players under multi year deals. They will have to pay Tyrod and Watkins in the near future but they have the ammo to do it. If your long term money is on Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, McCoy, Hughes, Watkins and Tyrod what is the problem? Your best players are the ones that you have signed. That is the goal. You need to keep drafting well to back fill the depth but it isn't like the Bills are loaded with bad contracts. This isn't an Albert Haynesworth scenario.

^ leave it to Kirby--great post.

The guy has got to want at least 14M average (that's gotta be the very low end)and there's no way we have that cap room without several massive contracts being restructured. Is the agent stupid?

How do you benefit complaining to the media? Everyone understand the situation. the player wants to get paid, the team want to see more. The media aspect isn't going to make thing get better. If the agent is smart, ask for something that includes a No Franchise Tag clause.

I think the agent is getting big for his britches; I sincerely doubt that Tyrod would complain in this fashion.

Now, he has every right to ask his agent to speak to the team about an extension, and I'm sure he's done so--it would be irresponsible not to approach it that way. I also think that Tyrod's a smart guy that understands where the team is at cap-wise for this season, and knows that his payday is coming in 2017.

the agent knows the bills currently have maybe $3-4 mil available this season plus whatever they save in 2016 Cap space from long term deals with Glenn & Gilmore.

a long term deal with TT this season is still a possibility.......where he gets large upfront bonus in exchange for low 2016 cap hit and below market after that.

TT might sign a team friendly contract in 2016, but will not if he reaches free agency in 2017.

^ leave it to Kirby--great post.

I think the agent is getting big for his britches; I sincerely doubt that Tyrod would complain in this fashion.

Now, he has every right to ask his agent to speak to the team about an extension, and I'm sure he's done so--it would be irresponsible not to approach it that way. I also think that Tyrod's a smart guy that understands where the team is at cap-wise for this season, and knows that his payday is coming in 2017.

He also saw what happened to the Ravens' roster after the Super Bowl and Flacco's subsequent deal.

the agent knows the bills currently have maybe $3-4 mil available this season plus whatever they save in 2016 Cap space from long term deals with Glenn & Gilmore.

a long term deal with TT this season is still a possibility.......where he gets large upfront bonus in exchange for low 2016 cap hit and below market after that.

TT might sign a team friendly contract in 2016, but will not if he reaches free agency in 2017.

Not really a possibility--they need to sign draft picks as well.

He also saw what happened to the Ravens' roster after the Super Bowl and Flacco's subsequent deal.

Interesting--good point.

I have to be honest. The comments from this agent pissed me off. That "31 other teams" comment especially. Where were those 31 other teams last year. The Bills brought him in and gave him a chance. They built the offense around his strengths and covered his weaknesses. They allowed him to show off his skills and his agent runs his mouth. Sure, Taylor had a good showing when he was healthy. But there are certainly weaknesses in his game and question marks left. Not to mention the fact that the Bills have no cap space to sign him. How about being a good teammate and a leader. Putting out the perception that you'd be happy to go somewhere else if not the best way to get skeptical fans and coaches behind you. Making threats and negotiating in the media, especially when negotiating from a point of weakness right now is not smart. I personally would like to see Taylor issue a statement saying that his agent overstepped with his comments and that Buffalo is the only place he wants to be (even if is not 100% true). Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but this really rubbed me the wrong way.

That said, my gut feeling is that Gilmore gets signed to an extension fairly soon. Tyrod get's signed to an extension in Oct/Nov and Glenn walks in Free agency at the end of the year once the Franchise tag runs out.