Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people keep saying this ? Bellichek has been awful at adding wr's if you look at the big picture. Bust after bust w a little welker/moss/gronk to keep him above water.

Brady is good. We got it.

They are a perennial top 5 passing offense. Those guys catch a lot of passes. Welker was #1 or 2 in the NFL in receptions for 4 of his 6 years in NE. Gronkowski has had over 1100 yards in 3 of the last 5 seasons (two were short with injury--still had 15 TDs those two years). Edelman averaged 100 catches a year and 1000 yards in the two years before this past season shortened by injury (still had more than 60 catches for 11+ per and 7 TDs).

They are a perennial top 5 passing offense. Those guys catch a lot of passes. Welker was #1 or 2 in the NFL in receptions for 4 of his 6 years in NE. Gronkowski has had over 1100 yards in 3 of the last 5 seasons (two were short with injury--still had 15 TDs those two years). Edelman averaged 100 catches a year and 1000 yards in the two years before this past season shortened by injury (still had more than 60 catches for 11+ per and 7 TDs).

Cool story. What about the other 48 wr's ?

Yes tom Brady is good at football

Cool story. What about the other 48 wr's ?

Yes tom Brady is good at football

What about them? They weren't needed and were let go.

You're saying that with better WR, they would have been, what, a top 2 or 3 passing team? Would have had one more 100 catch receiver on the roster? Would have been in more SB's?

How much do you think Julio Jones, AJ Green , Megatron, Brandon MArshall, Deandre Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald pay for their SB tickets? Or comped maybe?

Edited by Mr. WEO

What about them? They weren't needed and were let go.

You're saying that with better WR, they would have been, what, a top 2 or 3 passing team? Would have had one more 100 catch receiver on the roster? Would have been in more SB's?

Nope start at page 1. This is about hogan being "awesome" because Bellychex picked him.

Which is a fallacy because bellychex picked the other 48 guys as well.

Whose not gonna be good with tom Brady throwing perfect balls all day ? Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, josh Boyce, Ochocinco,Dobson, lafell, Lloyd etc etc etc.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Nope start at page 1. This is about hogan being "awesome" because Bellychex picked him.

Which is a fallacy because bellychex picked the other 48 guys as well.

Whose not gonna be good with tom Brady throwing perfect balls all day ? Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, josh Boyce, Ochocinco,Dobson, lafell, Lloyd etc etc etc.

He picked these guys and built a top passing game around them, despite injuries and constant turnover.

Seems more "awesome" than watching a guy like Calvin Johnson and the others on the above list waste their careers padding their stats.

@MatthewFairburn

CdiBdEjW0AE9JBG.jpg

Why even bother trying to replace such a great talent? It's just like asking how do the Lions replace Megatron. :rolleyes:

@MatthewFairburn

How do the Bills replace Chris Hogan? Some options in the early rounds of the NFL Draft http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/03/nfl_draft_10_potential_chris_hogan_replacements_in_early_round_for_buffalo_bills.html

CdiBdEjW0AE9JBG.jpg

Why even bother trying to replace such a great talent? It's just like asking how do the Lions replace Megatron. :rolleyes:

early rounds? We aren't replacing Sammy Watkins, Fairburn.

CJ "wasted his career padding his stats"? LOL! One of the silliest things I've read yet.

And we'll see how top of a passing game BB crafts when Brady is gone.

Edited by Doc

Um....I though the reason they let it happen was pretty clear. He's not worth $12M to the Bills since their game plan isn't built around Tom Brady.

How about resigning him before he becomes a free agent was the point? I've never said the guy is worth what the Patriots offered him. All the Bills have now is Watkins #1, Woods #2, Hogan who was the #3 and at times better than the #2 for a bunch of games.

And the other point missed is that any scrub can take up a roster spot and the Bills have had their fill of scrubs at WR over the years. Hogan stepped up when the team needed him to be the leading WR in three games and caught a ton of first downs. That latter is exactly why the Patriots wanted him. His leaving Buffalo helps their team and hurts the Bills despite what the sour fans think. It's this delightful Bills fans mentality that once a player is no longer a Bill it's the thing to do to hate on the guy.

I can only wonder what will be said this season when Tyrod Taylor has nobody open to get those first downs. Bottom line here for me is If I thought the Bills had the quality talent on the roster to replace him for those first downs then I could shiv a git he is a Patriot.

How about resigning him before he becomes a free agent was the point? I've never said the guy is worth what the Patriots offered him. All the Bills have now is Watkins #1, Woods #2, Hogan who was the #3 and at times better than the #2 for a bunch of games.

And the other point missed is that any scrub can take up a roster spot and the Bills have had their fill of scrubs at WR over the years. Hogan stepped up when the team needed him to be the leading WR in three games and caught a ton of first downs. That latter is exactly why the Patriots wanted him. His leaving Buffalo helps their team and hurts the Bills despite what the sour fans think. It's this delightful Bills fans mentality that once a player is no longer a Bill it's the thing to do to hate on the guy.

I can only wonder what will be said this season when Tyrod Taylor has nobody open to get those first downs. Bottom line here for me is If I thought the Bills had the quality talent on the roster to replace him for those first downs then I could shiv a git he is a Patriot.

They offered Hogan a standard RFA tender--he didn't sign hit because he probably wondered if he could get more on the market (or he was tampered with, the way that any RFA of interest typically is)...that's all they have to do to retain the right of first refusal. Obviously, if he was more important to their offense, he'd have been given either a higher tender or a long-term deal.

He wasn't, so he wasn't.

I find it laughable that the departure of Chris Hogan is what will result in Tyrod not having anyone open to get first downs. I'm not sure if you watched the final 5 games of the season, where he never caught more than 2 passes in a game, but the passing game isn't exactly going to suffer without him.

The only guy that was very noticeable by his absence on the offense (excluding Taylor) was Watkins. When he want out of the Bengals game, there was nobody left to get open.

Chris Hogan is the definition of replaceable. He's a guy that was picked up off waivers after he was let go from a 2nd team's practice squad.

For some reason--my guess is his combination of athleticism, intelligence, and blocking ability--NE believes he'll have more value in their offense than he does in Buffalo's. That almost has to be true by default, since (a) they have a HOF QB and (b) they throw the ball far more than Buffalo does.

There are a bunch of us that do not fall in this category in regards to Hogan. My thoughts are that he is a guy that is what he is. He is better than I anticipated but he is just a guy in the NFL. He has never contributed more than okay production despite single coverage and a lot of opportunity. Guys like Hogan grow on trees and that was always my point. If you didn't have Hogan you could have had Kamar Aiken or Deonte Thompson or whoever.

Hogan may be effective with the Pats; that is the ultimate system. If he fails there like Chandler predictably did, he was a product of opportunity not ability. Don't forget Donald Jones was better than Hogan in his best year. Let's pump the brakes on the player that we lost.

The reality is that the Bills need a #2 WR not a guy to fill Hogan's spot. The depth chart next year needs to read Watkins-new guy-Woods and we will be upgrading the position. This assumes that Percy doesn't return on a cheap deal. If he does they are still going to be adding a guy fairly early as Woods (and presumably Harvin in this situation) are FA after the year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I never knew WEO was such a Hogan supporter, I wonder what changed to make him a fan?

He's no longer a Bill.

If you both were paying attention, you wouldn't need to wonder...I've clearly been a supporter of Hogan (read any of my posts on the guy), despite all of the "he routinely fell short of the 1st yard marker" and "I know what a dropped pass is and he dropped a lot of passes" goofballs here trying to convince me otherwise.

CJ "wasted his career padding his stats"? LOL! One of the silliest things I've read yet.

And we'll see how top of a passing game BB crafts when Brady is gone.

I think you understood the point. HOF WRs are nice to have, but when you are playing in and winning SB's without them (while they toil in futility), they aren't really necessary in all situations.

Pretty silly, right?