Preseason could be reduced to 3 games

YoloinOhio

How will they make the unbalanced schedule work? Alternate 10 and 9 game home seasons? Play one neutral site preseason game annually?

They might as well reduce it to just two preseason games and start the season a week earlier, add a second bye week (not a 17th regular season game) and add a third wild card playoff team.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yolo, thanks for sharing. I find it interesting the President and HC are from the only team that does not have a for profit owner vs. a city. I don't see it happening as it is a bargaining chip for the owners to swap one pre-season for one regular season game with the compromise of giving the players a second bye.

PTR - I see the 3rd wildcard team in each conference, meaning as you state, another televised post season game as much more revenue to the players and owners.

Until the next CBA, I see it being squashed by the owners. Never give something away without getting something in return as you guys know is elementary in business negotiations.

Just to be clear, this is not necessarily what I want, but what I think will happen. If the owners get these two concessions, I see them as another concession increasing the practice squad, or increasing the roster beyond 53. They'll do the math and figure out what can they do that still tips more revenue to the owners. These billionaires are not dumb.

Since NFLPA restricts so much how much contact can be done during the season I think this is a bad idea. It is hard to teach fundamentals without contact. What they should be doing is increasing scrutinization of games, letting players know they will be aggressively penalizing including possible suspensions for unnecessary roughness and personal fouls and teaching correcting tackling technique in preseason games. If NFLPA wants less preseason games they need to compromise some on their mandated restrictions.

Great news if it happens. Instead of having the 4th PS game on a Thursday (Annual Lions game) the teams will play 3 and have that week off.

NFL competition committee has had lengthy discussions about reducing preseason to 3 games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14850640/nfl-discusses-reduction-three-preseason-games?sf21591315=1

yay!

Now can we reduce ticket prices for preseason games?

will have to raise them to make up for lost revenue

4th preseason game is last look at players on the bubble, and a chance for back ups to get some experience.

The problem is paying full price to see that. Cut the ticket price way down , free parking , and food at cost.

I would be in favor of starting the season earlier and adding a second bye week for all teams. The fourth preseason game is worthless.

A second bye week would really help players stay fresher. Maybe you could make a rule where teams that play Thursday have to have a bye the week before.

As to the unbalanced schedule the only part of it that matters is the amount of money the home team receives. So could do something where very team has one pre-season home game and the third game revenues/profits are split 50/50 between the two teams to keep it balanced.

This part is easy; when you schedule the third game you are committing to playing same team next year on opponent's field.

4th preseason game is last look at players on the bubble, and a chance for back ups to get some experience.

The problem is paying full price to see that. Cut the ticket price way down , free parking , and food at cost.

There is not way teams are going to give free parking except via season ticket coupons.

And the contracted food service companies are not going to sell food "at cost".

They need to make sure the 2 bye weeks are spaced out properly.

Of course they will; Pats* will get theirs before 2 Bills games, properly spaced out.

Back maybe in the first few years that they started having the byes, I do recall one year they had two byes. And they did for the most part have them spread out.

I would be in favor of starting the season earlier and adding a second bye week for all teams. The fourth preseason game is worthless.

A second bye week would really help players stay fresher. Maybe you could make a rule where teams that play Thursday have to have a bye the week before.