Rex won't change

vegas55

I can buy this being the right approach for Rex. I think it is clear the game has passed his system by, but by all means if he is unable to adapt it, then he should go all in with it. I hope it will work but what I hope doesn't really matter. I don't think it will work but what I think doesn't really matter. It's just frustrating watching it fail and losing star players at the same time making the inevitable re-build all that much more difficult.

He has this year and i think no more than that. So rebuilding is something we fans have created to become even more frustrated about.

He better dial it in this year.

We are all so sick of 3-4 4-3 talk.

Rex can do his thing and i bet Pegulas said make it work. Hence allowing Rob Ryan to come on board.

It wont be just us severely critical fans watching what the product on the field reveals this coming year.

Protect TT and get that defense hopping again. Can Ryan do that?

Check next Fall !

same Bat Time same Bat channel

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has this year and i think no more than that. So rebuilding is something we fans have created to become even more frustrated about.

He better dial it in this year.

We are all so sick of 3-4 4-3 talk.

Rex can do his thing and i bet Pegulas said make it work. Hence allowing Rob Ryan to come on board.

It wont be just us severely critical fans watching what the product on the field reveals this coming year.

Protect TT and get that defense hopping again. Can Ryan do that?

Check next Fall !

same Bat Time same Bat channel

I was talking about the seemingly inevitable post-Rex rebuild. 2015 scapegoat Mario is pretty much gone. Whose bridge will get burned this year?

Possible, but more likely a defender sucked up in the vortex of Rex's antiquated approach.

Gilmore? Dareus? Hughes? I don't think at Kyle's age it will be him.

if that is your view point it will be Dareus due to his new contract. Hughes will run around like the idiot we have come to love regardless. Marcel already looked less than last year. especially early on.

I have mentioned in humor, he could be traded. maybe it is not funny but...free up 330 lbs of cap space

if that is your view point it will be Dareus due to his new contract. Hughes will run around like the idiot we have come to love regardless. Marcel already looked less than last year. especially early on.

I have mentioned in humor, he could be traded. maybe it is not funny but...free up 330 lbs of cap space

:lol:

Made me laugh out loud dude. So accurate. I love Hughes, he rushes with that Clay Matthews tenacity. He's always on a mission. And its shocking how fast he is and that he's actually got some cover skills.

But my goodness Jerry, get a grip.

I was and am all for retaining Rex as our coach - continuity is something this team desperately needs. But I do have reservations, the least of which is that Rex will never embrace analytics, will forever be "gut feeling" type of coach. Big mistake, but hey most NFL coaches are in the same boat. It's troubling though how very little attention he pays to game management. His replay review system was so completely inadequate that it boggles the mind. All of his NFL head coaching experience and that was the best he could do - almost as bad as leaving your starting QB in the fourth quarter of a meaningless preseason game, getting him hurt and then explaining that you were going for the win. Just so little attention paid to the strategic big picture.

The most troubling aspect of his coaching is the ground and pound philosophy. The only way that works is if you have a great defense, that is, a once in a decade defense which maintains its excellence year after year. It's the hardest thing in the NFL to do. Seattle has it. 49ers had it for a bit, but could not maintain it. Problem with ground and pound is even in those games where your team plays great football, that philosophy keeps the games close score wise, and any wacky thing can happen in the closing minutes of a close NFL game. In the NFL, you HAVE to win the games where you play extremely well. It's too often a crapshoot in close games, where the better team often loses. A consistently great D helps close the deal, but you can't count on that year after year. The perfect example was the Houston game this year. Home game, QB plays great, zero turnovers, superior talent level, good not great defensive play. Bills played great, at home, and with less than two minutes to go the score is tied. Anything could have happened, easily could have lost. Because g & p kept the game close. And that was Hoyer at QB, not Brady.

And I know what the response is going to be - you have to have that strong running game. It's all you ever hear from WNY media. Whaley is the same way, he comes from "that Steelers tradition" of strong run game. Hey Doug check out the modern version of the Steelers. If you think their running game is getting them to the playoffs, you are not watching their games.

The Bills had the best run game in the NFL in 2015, top three in 2013 but were lousy in the run game in 2014. It was in 2014 they won the most games. And here's the point to answer before you predictably jump on this post and trumpet the wonders of a great run game - you cannot, for over a decade now, have rule change after rule change favoring the pass game, no rule changes helping the run game, and then continue to emphasize the run game the same way it was done 10 years ago. Ignoring the way the game has been artificially changed is a great way to keep missing the playoffs

the broncos just won this way even though they had Manning who is one of the greatest QBs ever but is now a shell of himself.

Also it may have worked last yr but Rex totally screwed the defense, so the plan is sound it was just executed poorly.

The only we or any other team can NOT use ground and pound is if they have an elite QB, which we do not.

Made me laugh out loud dude. So accurate. I love Hughes, he rushes with that Clay Matthews tenacity. He's always on a mission. And its shocking how fast he is and that he's actually got some cover skills.

Don't expect it. I will not soon forget him over on the sideline flipping his wig trying to get them motivated!! B-)

he will have his hair on fire again this coming year I expect , Aaron

God bless him, honestly.

I love the little miscreant :wub:

Wow "we weren't ground and pound" "yea we ran the ball a lot" - The Bills ran the ball more than anybody in the NFL. Ground and pound doesn't mean you run the ball on every play, nor does it have anything to do with the type of passes you throw. You do shorten the game, and you do keep the score close, regardless of how well you are playing. Sure if the D is fantastic that day and you get lots of turnovers you will roll some teams. Count on that happening every week and see so far that gets you. Or has gotten you.

And just as I predicted not one response to ignoring a decades worth of rule changes favoring the passing game. Maybe, just maybe if they pass a rule where you are not allowed to tackle a receiver after he catches the ball, then it might spur some to examine the wisdom of emphasizing the run game in an era where everything favors the pass.

That's Deep! I think the problem is, you're too intelligent for us little people. Rather than sitting around here being frustrated that no one is clever enough to see the football world through your eyes, perhaps you should take your extraordinary perspectives and join the League Management chat boards. Bend the ear of the masterminds subtly altering the game. Only there, can your brilliance truly shine.

From my hick perspective, running the ball was, is and will always be an integral part of the game. When you're running it, the 60 minute game clock erodes in the fastest way possible. While the clock ticks down and you have possession, the opposition is least likely to score more points than you. Incomplete passes and catches at the sidelines stop the clock, providing the opposition time to get the ball back for their offense.

It's a simple game, really..

Someone call Carly Simon, I have a hit in the making.

Rex Won't Change

You walked into Buffalo like it was an all you can eat buffet

Your truck strategically sporting a new paint job

Red, white, and blue it really popped

You promised to build a bully, as you let out a haughty laugh

And all the fans dreamed that we'd make the playoffs

We'd make the playoffs, and...

Rexxxxx won't change, he'll probably drop his D-end in coverage

Rex won't change, I bet you'll drop Big Stuff in coverage,

Won't you, Won't you..

This is the original version, proving it was not written about Warren Beatty

Everyone should go back and read this thread, especially the post from BigK, which was posted at the beginning of training camp (post number 7 in the thread). It's my nominee for post of the year on TSW. BigK accurately predicts to a "t" the problems with Rex's defense and his inflexibility, including the fact that Rex was bringing in his Jet henchmen specifically to enforce "the system". Now he's brought in his brother for more of the same, so no, Rex is not going to change. This thread is worth a re-read, especially the predictable reaction from the faithful to BigK's incredibly insightful post.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179582-dareus-and-dunbar-its-kind-of-a-clash/

I see nothing wrong with BigK's post which to me says nothing more then "stop changing the D system and let the players have some continuity"

Well....like it or hate it that is exactly what the bills did when they Kept everyone, brought in another coach that coaches the same D, and gave Whaley a new contract.

This is the D system.....this is what is going to be here....its not changing......players can adapt to it or be onto other teams.

One other thing to bring up as i dont really see anyone discussing how.....how do we know FOR SURE that Schwartz D would have been so effective this past year? Teams would have still be short gaming us to death because Schwartz was not a blitz happy DC.

Im not bagging on Schwartz.....but I will be watching his team this year to see if the D he had in Buffalo is as effective with his new team. I suspect that opposing teams watched what we did last year over the offseason and game planned against it......perhaps we WOULD NOT be a top 5 defense if Schwartz was still here?

He's like Clay Matthews, minus the intelligence, instinct and overall talent.

He is fast though..

He's like Clay Matthews, minus the intelligence, instinct and overall talent.

He is fast though..

They both pass rush with a great deal of tenacity, as if their lives depended on it. Its a specific comparison, and you're sharp enough to have understood this the first time.

Thinking about the big picture here......with Mr Wilson gone....and his long term "challenged" management of the Bills, we now have rookie owners who made a really bad HC hire in Ryan. Makes me think of the Harvey Johnson HC hire that Ralph did in the 80's.......A shame the Pegs couldn't get a football t ype to help them get it right. Brandon is a business guy, and he is OK, but not a football guy. On the HC hire...it was the PEGS..Whaley and Brandon giving lip service to whoever the PEGS hired. But, they saved the franchise...its just it appears it will be the same old Bills....never get it done.

Thinking about the big picture here......with Mr Wilson gone....and his long term "challenged" management of the Bills, we now have rookie owners who made a really bad HC hire in Ryan. Makes me think of the Harvey Johnson HC hire that Ralph did in the 80's.......A shame the Pegs couldn't get a football t ype to help them get it right. Brandon is a business guy, and he is OK, but not a football guy. On the HC hire...it was the PEGS..Whaley and Brandon giving lip service to whoever the PEGS hired. But, they saved the franchise...its just it appears it will be the same old Bills....never get it done.

After 1 year...it remains to be seen if it was a bad hire