Vic C's BN piece--really rips Rex as defensive coach

dave mcbride

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it just worth re-stating that Rex hasn't had a winning season in FIVE years. I am not sure how many excuses have piled up in that time... but eventually you have to look at the one constant surely?

In that period he has had:

3 different GMs

2 different DCs

4 different OCs

4 different starting Quarterbacks..... (excluding those who only started because of injury)

Eventually surely you have to start to think Rex might be the problem?

Even if I were willing to put his Jet history aside and view him with a clean slate how can anyone not come away with the assessment that the team he coached last year underachieved? Putting aside the defensive scheme issue is anyone going to make the claim that the Bills were a disciplined team or collectively an intelligent team last year? If that isn't a reflection on coaching then nothing is.

I'm not going to fall for the excuses that the Bills faced challenges that other teams don't have to contend with. Because that isn't true. Last year the schedule worked in our favor due to the unexpected struggles of teams that were expected to be good. The excuse makers won't even acknowledge that the Bills were in an excellent situation to exploit. The excuse makers won't even acknowledge the fact that the reviled former coach did a better job record wise with a lesser team than the more jovial coach did with a better team.

It's gotten to the point that basic standards don't apply to the Bills because they are supposedly subjected to uncontrollable outside and inside influences that unfairly affect them. Not only do many people make excuses why we so often lose they also make excuses why other teams win. It's pathetic!

"You are what your record says you are"

Rex Ryan 7 years 54 W - 58 L

This organization hired him. They get what they deserve.

Can't argue that. Would be curious to see what Bellicheat's non-Brady record would have been. ^_^

I didn't suggest mine was the only interpretation of that evidence. For me the most likely interpretation is that it is the one constant who is a major part of the problem.... unsurprisingly you take a different view of the evidence. Personally I find your interpretation less persuasive but I accept it is not completely unreasonable.

Fair enough.

By that logic, the Bills should have never hired Marv Levy (31-42 at the time) nor should the Pats have hired Bill Bellichick (36-44 at the time). Both had worse winning pcts than Rex in their first gigs as NFL HCs and few would have said they were destined for greatness.

Sometimes HCs learn and get better.

Sometimes HCs are in disadvantageous positions with weak rosters.

Personally, I see enough bright spots - and enough blemishes - in Rex's record that I can't feel very optimistic nor suicidally pessimistic. At this point, I'm solidly in the wait-and-see camp.

Edited by hondo in seattle

And it just worth re-stating that Rex hasn't had a winning season in FIVE years. I am not sure how many excuses have piled up in that time... but eventually you have to look at the one constant surely?

In that period he has had:

3 different GMs

2 different DCs

4 different OCs

4 different starting Quarterbacks..... (excluding those who only started because of injury)

Eventually surely you have to start to think Rex might be the problem?

Agreed

@tydunne

On Rex, Heath Evans calls Bills front7 "tremendously selfish," leaders needed to say "He's proven. You guys aren't."

This is on NFLN right now

Wait, What?

I'd be interested to know what reasoning/basis behind this. But it's a little hard to tell guys who were part of a top-4 D last year and this year are falling on their a**, including a guy who made the probowl and first-team all pro the last 2 years and another 4 time probowler, "he's proven. you guys aren't"

Tell them they need to buy in 100% and give 100% for the guy next to them and the team, sure. But "he's proven, you guys aren't" yeah, that'd work - if it was said by Bill Polian maybe :devil:

Wait, What?

I'd be interested to know what reasoning/basis behind this. But it's a little hard to tell guys who were part of a top-4 D last year and this year are falling on their a**, including a guy who made the probowl and first-team all pro the last 2 years and another 4 time probowler, "he's proven. you guys aren't"

Tell them they need to buy in 100% and give 100% for the guy next to them and the team, sure. But "he's proven, you guys aren't" yeah, that'd work - if it was said by Bill Polian maybe :devil:

i think he was referring to winning/playoffs Edited by YoloinOhio

I can't understand why Vic's article has summoned now-123 responses.

It tells us virtually nothing we didn't already know, and like many of his since-debunked gotcha moments, it comes entirely from anonymous sources.

CONCLUSION: people who signed up for this website will cling to any/all variables to justify their wanton desire for Rex Ryan to be thought of as a failure.

That's nice.

its the offseason. not necessarily by choice but there are many people who just haven nothing to say on Ryan.

eventually, and its already happening, i'll start to buy in to rex again...and get my hopes up for next year.

Lol.

This is such a dumb argument on Heath's part.

These guys are good at what they do, if Rex is asking them to do something else that takes away from what they are good at how is that a good thing?

They haven't won anything inspite of being good players.

Heath Evans sweats his days with Bellicheat. All you hear about from Pats* players (Evans included) is that everyone is bought into the system. In his world (one in which Lombardis were won), the rebuke from Rex's players must have been tremendously unsettling and foreign.

Edited by The Big Cat

Heath Evans sweats his days with Bellicheat. All you hear about from Pats* players (Evans included) is that everyone is bought into the system. In his world (one in which Lombardis were won), the rebuke from Rex's players was tremendously unsettling and foreign.

Do you think it's feasible to come back from where the locker room is right now, in terms of buying in?

I do not think the camp with the defense being told to take it easy on offense because they were overwhelming them did them any favors. Yes there were trying to compare QBs and they had both most of WRs and RBs out at different points but the starting defense barely got reps and it showed. Obviously there was a disconnect between the players and coaches; I think there may have been some contradictory coaching instructions given.

The coaches and players should have been asking more questions and those who were making the calls/adjustments on defense on coaching and field should have been working harder to make sure scheme was understood. The disconnect was obvious when they went under stress.

What is the over-under on someone being convinced to change their mind about something in this thread? I'll go with zero.

Somewhere in the the middle of the Venn diagram of "thinks the Buffalo News is a worthless rag" and "thinks Rex is the worst coach of all time," someone has started having second thoughts.

Rex sucked last season.

Agreed.

I'll challenge Carruci too, and this is how lies and bad history get started. He writes this;

But the defense was supposed to have been rock solid. Its success in 2014, its abundance of high-priced talent, and Ryan’s sterling defensive coaching record were tangible reasons for hope.

Ryan's defensive coaching record was far from sterling, I don't know why some think it was so good.

His Jets were 1st and 6th in scoring D in his first two seasons, but then fell to 20th, 20th, 19th, and 24th.

We were 15th this past season, above average for Ryan. So perhaps that's the reality.

People write stuff without researching much less thinking, and it becomes fact by default ala the "if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth."

There's no basis for believing that Ryan's going to turn this unit around.

Agreed.

I'll challenge Carruci too, and this is how lies and bad history get started. He writes this;

Ryan's defensive coaching record was far from sterling, I don't know why some think it was so good.

His Jets were 1st and 6th in scoring D in his first two seasons, but then fell to 20th, 20th, 19th, and 24th.

We were 15th this past season, above average for Ryan. So perhaps that's the reality.

People write stuff without researching much less thinking, and it becomes fact by default ala the "if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth."

There's no basis for believing that Ryan's going to turn this unit around.

So Rex has had a number 1 ranked defense......

I seem to remember having this same conversation at one point......about Jim Schwartz