Vic C's BN piece--really rips Rex as defensive coach

dave mcbride

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's fairly deeply reported too. For those who think it's a good piece (as I do), remember it the next time you think about writing that everyone at the BN sucks except for Tyler Dunne ...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/13/bills-pairing-of-rex-ryan-jim-schwartz-never-stood-a-chance/

Hard to believe anything Vic says.

Unfortunately, we still do.

As long as they all stay healthy, if Schwartz was running the defense last season people would have been screaming for his head.

Rex has a history of great defenses. Many things went wrong. Hopefully they will get fixed.

One thing that sucked for sure was the effort put forth by Mario Williams. That dude sleepwalked through nearly the entire season.

Rex likes to show off. have a show-off season this year by fixing the defense and the offense continuing to grow. e is set up to

I sure hope so TC

Why?

We lost Kyle Williams on the defensive line in week 7. Outside of that the entire starting front was healthy which is how Schwartz's scheme is so effective.

IMO they wouldn't have been as good, but they would've still been a very solid unit.

wait wait.

we lost Carrington and Wynn who and what was the lb rotation? Redddick?Tarpley?

Why?

We lost Kyle Williams on the defensive line in week 7. Outside of that the entire starting front was healthy which is how Schwartz's scheme is so effective.

IMO they wouldn't have been as good, but they would've still been a very solid unit.

Bills were pulling LBers off the street... No they wouldn't have been. Remember the Raiders game? If Schwartz loses one little piece his whole defense implodes. Edited by Beef Jerky

Bills were pulling LBers off the street... No they wouldn't have been. Remember the Raiders game? If Schwartz loses one little piece his whole defense implodes.

Dareus isn't one little piece. Literally or figuratively.

Bills were pulling LBers off the street... No they wouldn't have been. Remember the Raiders game? If Schwartz loses one little piece his whole defense implodes.

To be fair that one little piece was a cornerstone to his success. Hence haynesworth breaking out got him a head coach job. I like kw, but in that defense he wasn't the irreplaceable guy

Dareus isn't one little piece. Literally or figuratively.

Correct

Just to give some food for thought to those that think that any one or two Bills players would make that dramatic a difference in the way the 2015 defense worked under Ryan.

For the opener against the Colts, the Bills defense was excellent in pass coverage and did a decent job of getting pressure on Andrew Luck...without Marcell Dareus.

For that second Patriots game in which the Bills defense was able to put so much pressure on Brady that he was literally screaming at his offensive line! The Bills managed more pressure on 20 of his 40 dropbacks (50%)more than any team had been able to do the last seven years. In that game, no Kyle Williams, no Mario Williams, no Aaron Williams. (5 penalties)

That last game against the NY Jets, no Aaron Williams, no Kyle Williams, no Stephan Gilmore and the Bills managed 3 sacks and 3 INT's that game. (4 penalties)

It's my contention that in those games and in a few other games in 2015 the coaching staff actually did their jobs. Had the team prepared to play hard-nosed, disciplined football, had a decent defensive game plan! Then above all the defense actually rushed the passer instead of that crap gap control scheme! The revenge factor seemed to play a big part of last season for this new HC and when that wasn't there...then either was the coaching effort.

Mario Williams was not the problem and in fact, the coaches were very content with his play while stating he did exactly what was asked of him. No one Buffalo Bills player was at fault for the disgrace of a defense in what the fans saw in 2015. It was all on a head coach that only worked hard for about six games and coasted for the remaining 10 games.

I dunno about the rest of you guys but we fans deserve better than a part-time head coach. Bills fans deserve a head coach that will actually be a challenge to the Patriots for the division and have a team prepared to compete for the AFC East championship!

Edited by Nihilarian

It didn't. It had a below par day against the run but they were not helped by an atrocious offensive display.

I agree.

You gotta know Bills fans are grasping at straws when they try to disparage the best defense this franchise has had in years in 2014. That year's team led the NFL in sacks, hits, hurries and actually got their money's worth out of that highly paid front four.

To show how bad that 2014 Bills offense was for that Raiders game the Buffalo run game had 13 rushes for 13 yards for the entire day. CJ Spiller was getting tackled 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage most every time he touched the ball. The 2014 Buffalo Bills also led the league in something....worst O-line in the league! Four rushing attempts for -4 yards. As usual, the mental midget Bills OC Nate Hackett had Bills QB Kyle Orton throw the ball 49 times vs 13 rushes. Still, the final score was only 24-26.

The play of the day for the Raiders came in the 4th QTR on 3rd down and 22 on the Raiders 19-yard line with a 51-yard pass to Andre Holmes and they went on to score from there. Sometimes teams just get lucky like that, and yes even a bad 3-12 team.

The Bills offensive drives in that game went like this, TD, PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, FG, PUNT, PUNT, TD, PUNT, INT, TD. Blame that loss on the Buffalo Bills 26th ranked offense under Marrone and his choice for OC Hackett.

Some Bills fans are so blinded by their loyalty that they would throw themselves under a bus rather then acknowledge criticism about their beloved team.

The run defense sucked against Oakland and the pass defense sucked in the second half of the first new England game. That is what the Rex apologists have to hang on to.

But when you look at the Oakland game more closely you realise the offense was just as big of a reason we lost.... we ran something like 11 times for 10 yards.

The defense that folded against good teams had brutalised the Packers the week before - a pretty "good" team, no?

But regardless give me 4th overall over 19th overall even if 4th overall could have been better. In fact I remember someone saying very publicly that 4th overall was disappointing and that with the talent we should be 1st overall. Now who was that? Oh yes, it was the man who masterminded the decline to 19th.

The run defense sucked against oakland because dareus went down early. He had been dominating the interior of the line before getting hurt in that game. The raiders had 3-and-outs on their first three possessions. Edited by dave mcbride

Jerky, who are these LB we pulled off the street and how many games did they start in, or play defense?

(AJ Tarpley was signed by the Bills after the 2015 draft, UDFA rookie class present through training camp, preseason, and initial roster not what most mean by "pulled off the street")

I will however question the motive behind burning calories on something that makes you miserable.

The above is an amazing quote. You have several hundred posts in an apparent attempt to convince many, many others (who have eyes, let alone a right to their opinions) that Rex is a good coach. Now, who really is "burning calories?"

I like differing opinions (even yours), but I get the feeling that you are not like this.

Perhaps you should open your own board and post how great Rex is and what good job he did, and how wonderful and deserving his exalted, highly sought after brother is. Then you can answer yourself in full agreement and not have to exhaust so much time with those who dare to disagree with your all knowing prattle.

Just to give some food for thought to those that think that any one or two Bills players would make that dramatic a difference in the way the 2015 defense worked under Ryan.

For the opener against the Colts, the Bills defense was excellent in pass coverage and did a decent job of getting pressure on Andrew Luck...without Marcell Dareus.

For that second Patriots game in which the Bills defense was able to put so much pressure on Brady that he was literally screaming at his offensive line! The Bills managed more pressure on 20 of his 40 dropbacks (50%)more than any team had been able to do the last seven years. In that game, no Kyle Williams, no Mario Williams, no Aaron Williams. (5 penalties)

That last game against the NY Jets, no Aaron Williams, no Kyle Williams, no Stephan Gilmore and the Bills managed 3 sacks and 3 INT's that game. (4 penalties)

It's my contention that in those games and in a few other games in 2015 the coaching staff actually did their jobs. Had the team prepared to play hard-nosed, disciplined football, had a decent defensive game plan! Then above all the defense actually rushed the passer instead of that crap gap control scheme! The revenge factor seemed to play a big part of last season for this new HC and when that wasn't there...then either was the coaching effort.

Mario Williams was not the problem and in fact, the coaches were very content with his play while stating he did exactly what was asked of him. No one Buffalo Bills player was at fault for the disgrace of a defense in what the fans saw in 2015. It was all on a head coach that only worked hard for about six games and coasted for the remaining 10 games.

I dunno about the rest of you guys but we fans deserve better than a part-time head coach. Bills fans deserve a head coach that will actually be a challenge to the Patriots for the division and have a team prepared to compete for the AFC East championship!

Excellent points. Yes, it seemed evident to me that the quality of the preparation and the team's focus varied greatly from week to week.

Re Mario, I do think his coaches are reluctant to publically throw a player under the bus so I take what they say with a grain of salt, but I do feel he was being positioned in the media as the "fall guy" for problems on D that went far beyond him, and I don't respect that.

It didn't. It had a below par day against the run but they were not helped by an atrocious offensive display.

Not really, actually.

Raiders averaged 3.9 YPC. The 2014 Bills defense allowed 4.1 YPC rushing on the year.

Raiders averaged 4.9 YPP. The 2014 Bills defense allowed 4.9 YPP on the year.

It wasn't even close to an implosion.

Not really, actually.

Raiders averaged 3.9 YPC. The 2014 Bills defense allowed 4.1 YPC rushing on the year.

Raiders averaged 4.9 YPP. The 2014 Bills defense allowed 4.9 YPP on the year.

It wasn't even close to an implosion.

there have been a few games where i looked at stats afterwards and was really surprised. the giants one this year, for instance. i suspect for many the raiders game would be likewise due to the massive expectations after GB and Den. it was a big let down, but it wasnt an implosion where the defense suddenly got devoured.