Sharing Stadium?

john_bult

Poll  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Support For Sharing Stadium?

If a shared stadium = shared costs, then you have to be in favor of it. I don't care IF UB draws 3 fans, the cost share would be a constant, and would help.

Whatever happens in the future, the WNY taxpayers cannot, and likely will not support any funding/bond issues to finance whatever may be proposed, so every option has to be investigated.

Maybe a future design would even be attractive to the Bison's?

Ralph Wilson Stadium the Best sight lines in the NFL why because it's a football stadium not multi sport stadium. Rehab the Ralph at 1/2 billion $$ and bus the UB kids in. All 500 who support the Bulls! Edited by Hammered a Lot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would other Bills fans be willing to share a stadium with the Buffalo Bulls from the University of Buffalo if a new stadium is built? The UB Football Team has had some success over the past few seasons, but they had a down year this season. The UB Football Team needs a new stadium soon also. Other NFL teams that share a stadium are:
Georgia State plays at the Georgia Dome
UMass plays at Gillette Stadium
University of Miami plays at Sun Life Stadium
Temple University plays at Lincoln Financial Field
Pitt Panthers play at Heinz Field
San Diego St plays at Qualcomm Stadium
USF plays at Raymond James Stadium
Metlife Stadium always hosts a college game yearly
Since both teams are in need of new stadiums, would Bills fans support the idea of the UB Football Team playing their games in the new stadium on Saturdays? Also, would other Bills fans support a possible college bowl game being played at the new stadium? Many bowl games are played at NFL Stadiums. Thoughts?

Unless things have changed under new AD Greene, there is very little chance of a "shared" stadium happening unless it is on UB's campus. was told during the ownership search the only way a new stadium works for UB is if it's on campus because they have a captive student audience there.

jw

As recently as 2013, UB was in the worst 10 FBS schools as measured in wins and revenue generated (and attendance).

That's UB's problem to fix, not Albany's (which means the taxpayers, by the way).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Buffalo_Bulls_football_team

In 2013 UB was 8-5 and went to the Idaho Potato Bowl. They averaged 22,736 attendance, including 26K at RWS. And the reason UB is above schools like Stony Brook, Albany and Binghamton is because UB is all D1. Stony Brook and Albany are FCS in football and Bingo doesn't even have a football team. Plus UB is the largest state school.

So maybe your "ten worst" statement was a wee bit off? But keep lobbing grenades. You're bound to hit something eventually.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

in the hypothetical of a new stadium downtown as well as mutual interest from UB to play there...

would it be in Pegula's interest to possibly donate money to the UB program in an effort to push them in the direction of program growth? A high level (meaning a power conference) program would certainly be a compliment to the One Buffalo thing and the whole 'campus' downtown.

Yeah, but a high powered football program could siphon off interest if they're doing well and the Bills aren't at any given time. Although, I think that is UB's best hope because they don't seem able to raise money to do the things they want to do with the football/athletic facilities. Honestly, I think they should focus on building a new basketball arena and putting money into that program. Since Buffalo is devoid of pro hoops UB, like Pitt, can be that for the city. Quiet as it's kept there are many hoops fans in Buffalo. They might all be on the East/North side, but they do exist.

Yeah, but a high powered football program could siphon off interest if they're doing well and the Bills aren't at any given time. Although, I think that is UB's best hope because they don't seem able to raise money to do the things they want to do with the football/athletic facilities. Honestly, I think they should focus on building a new basketball arena and putting money into that program. Since Buffalo is devoid of pro hoops UB, like Pitt, can be that for the city. Quiet as it's kept there are many hoops fans in Buffalo. They might all be on the East/North side, but they do exist.

I was about to laugh off the thought of UB siphoning off interest from the Bills, but that's actually pretty spot on. For a shared stadium to even be considered, UB would need to beef up their program substantially. That means they might be more relevant in college than the Bills are in the NFL at some point down the road. That ends the discussion right there. No way would the Bills invite that possibility.

I'll jump ahead now to the "there's plenty of room for both" argument. No, there's not. Not in Buffalo. Not currently. It doesn't have close to population, like Atlanta, where the sheer number of people makes it feasible. The culture isn't there to provide strong support for bother either. In other words, Buffalo isn't a "football town". Yes, Buffalo loves it's Bills, but it is a hockey town. Football isn't ingrained in the culture like it is in Ohio, Texas and Florida. Growing up in Cleveland, fall weekends were high school football on Fridays, Buckeyes on Saturdays and Browns on Sundays. Who here bothers with UB football, much less high school? They can't even get students to go with free tickets.

Edited by BarleyNY

I was about to laugh off the thought of UB siphoning off interest from the Bills, but that's actually pretty spot on. For a shared stadium to even be considered, UB would need to beef up their program substantially. That means they might be more relevant in college than the Bills are in the NFL at some point down the road. That ends the discussion right there. No way would the Bills invite that possibility.

I'll jump ahead now to the "there's plenty of room for both" argument. No, there's not. Not in Buffalo. Not currently. It doesn't have close to population, like Atlanta, where the sheer number of people makes it feasible. The culture isn't there to provide strong support for bother either. In other words, Buffalo isn't a "football town". Yes, Buffalo loves it's Bills, but it is a hockey town. Football isn't ingrained in the culture like it is in Ohio, Texas and Florida. Growing up in Cleveland, fall weekends were high school football on Fridays, Buckeyes on Saturdays and Browns on Sundays. Who here bothers with UB football, much less high school? They can't even get students to go with free tickets.

I follow UB sports as much as the Bills and Sabres. The three are not mutually exclusive. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well, when it looked like the Bills were a threat to move, I thought it would be a possibility if not a probability.

Now that they are staying, it seems unlikely....

But a Bulls team on-par with Temple is attainable and I don't see it taking away from the Bills' popularity. They would never become a 'power'. The catch 22 is though I dont think average Buffalo sports fans would support that (Temple-level) anyways,

The basketball thing is interesting though. I did see Russ Brandon said they are going to try to get NBA preseason games

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Buffalo_Bulls_football_team

In 2013 UB was 8-5 and went to the Idaho Potato Bowl. They averaged 22,736 attendance, including 26K at RWS. And the reason UB is above schools like Stony Brook, Albany and Binghamton is because UB is all D1. Stony Brook and Albany are FCS in football and Bingo doesn't even have a football team. Plus UB is the largest state school.

So maybe your "ten worst" statement was a wee bit off? But keep lobbing grenades. You're bound to hit something eventually.

It's obviously not my "10 worst list", as you know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2013/08/30/ub-is-ranked-as-one-of-10-worst.html

"The Bulls won just nine of 36 games during the past three seasons. Their average attendance of 14,747 per home game was 115th out of 120 FBS teams, and their three-year football revenues of $17.2 million were 103rd."

That was for the three seasons before their magical 2013 year. Since then, they haven't won more than 5 games a year....they play in the MAC. As for comparisons to Stony Brook, being a FBS punching bag isn't as much of a draw as the bright minds in the AD's office at UB once envisioned.

My post was no grenade, but a simple statement of fact. Nothing controversial at all.

I follow them. I don't go to games though. It is due to the venue.

That's great that you and Promo support UB, but neither of you are refuting my points. And quite frankly, if UB playing in a small, generic venue that commands very low ticket prices keeps you away, then what would happen if they played in a brand new NFL stadium and their prices were as high as Bills tickets are now? (Bills ticket prices will undoubtedly increase in a new stadium.)

I would love it if they played in a small generic venue.

What they have now is awful in every aspect. The layout is comical it is so bad. Its like you are watching a game from the hubble telescope. If they had a venue similar to any of the other MAC schools, I would probably attend a lot of games. Heck, if they just had bleachers set up around the field in the same zip code, I would go.

stadium-turf-20140819-0032.jpg?max_heigh

5d912ae4a877dbdee7a9ee2bbba3137ffabe910d

Akron:

InfoCision_opening_day2.JPG

It's obviously not my "10 worst list", as you know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2013/08/30/ub-is-ranked-as-one-of-10-worst.html

"The Bulls won just nine of 36 games during the past three seasons. Their average attendance of 14,747 per home game was 115th out of 120 FBS teams, and their three-year football revenues of $17.2 million were 103rd."

That was for the three seasons before their magical 2013 year. Since then, they haven't won more than 5 games a year....they play in the MAC. As for comparisons to Stony Brook, being a FBS punching bag isn't as much of a draw as the bright minds in the AD's office at UB once envisioned.

My post was no grenade, but a simple statement of fact. Nothing controversial at all.

Winning 5 games consistently is a step up from 0-for-everything, which is where they were. Progress has been slow for a number of reasons, the biggest being WNY doesn't not have a history of big time college athletics. But progress has been made. Sorry they aren't LSU or Alabama. That doesn't make them not worth following.

Edited by PromoTheRobot