Sharing Stadium?

john_bult

Poll  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Support For Sharing Stadium?

UB would have to go undefeated for like 10 straight years before they could sell out an NFL sized stadium.

Edit*: This post was not meant to be dismissive, you did a great job on the write up and were very thorough in your research.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/1/22/7863221/a-case-study-in-nfl-college-football-shared-stadiums

Would other Bills fans be willing to share a stadium with the Buffalo Bulls from the University of Buffalo if a new stadium is built? The UB Football Team has had some success over the past few seasons, but they had a down year this season. The UB Football Team needs a new stadium soon also. Other NFL teams that share a stadium are:

Georgia State plays at the Georgia Dome

UMass plays at Gillette Stadium

University of Miami plays at Sun Life Stadium

Temple University plays at Lincoln Financial Field

Pitt Panthers play at Heinz Field

San Diego St plays at Qualcomm Stadium

USF plays at Raymond James Stadium

Metlife Stadium always hosts a college game yearly

Since both teams are in need of new stadiums, would Bills fans support the idea of the UB Football Team playing their games in the new stadium on Saturdays? Also, would other Bills fans support a possible college bowl game being played at the new stadium? Many bowl games are played at NFL Stadiums. Thoughts?

Buffalo can't support two premier stadiums so this is a very plausible idea.

I still think the location and bowl of the Ralph is awesome.

I know some want a downtown dome but this kills Buffalo football tradition. The elements are and should remain a part of the game in B'lo.

Why does UB need a new stadium?

Buffalo can't support two premier stadiums so this is a very plausible idea.

I still think the location and bowl of the Ralph is awesome.

I know some want a downtown dome but this kills Buffalo football tradition. The elements are and should remain a part of the game in B'lo.

The better question is why would UB warrant a "premier stadium"? That is utterly ridiculous. I don't know, maybe try to build the program up to a point where it is somewhat relevant first?

They can't get the UB North students to go to games that are 200 yards away from their dorms - how are you going to get them to come downtown for a game?

You answered your own question. The tickets would be a lot cheaper, and the kids would be downtown.

I think it is a super smart decision for UB to do this.

UB is in the process of building it's own indoor football field house. They are not talking about a new stadium, per se. Just ideas on how to improve their current dump.

But with T&K building a new downtown palace and a subway connecting UB to the foot of Main, why not add 6 more game days in your new stadium? Like I said before, they drew 26K two years ago at RWS and that was 99% not students.

Canisius hockey plays off campus at Harborcenter.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

UB seems desperate to get some traction for people coming to their games. The stadium is awful though. I like the MAC. I tried. I bought season tickets and attended 1 game and that was it (also went to the RWS game). It is like you are watching a game from the moon.

I do think they are putting a lot of money into that stadium, but only for exclusive alumni clubs and such. Basically, they just need to tear it down and build the seats closer to the field and to each other.

I think for NYC/EC/Pegula/DN to allow UB to play home games in the new stadium would be a smart move. They all have interest in foot traffic downtown and it also further justifies the expense and it is a handful more events every year. Im sure they would get a rake of concessions and such too. It makes sense for UB as well as it will be a state of the art field, would help with recruiting, and make the sky the limit for program growth, hosting events, etc... I'm sure all the details, contractual stuff, insurance, T&Cs, etc are fairly complicated... but I would think this would be a likelihood.

That said, the optics of a 60K-70K stadium with 10K people is rough. They would have to really work on getting people there, make it fun. Its a tough sell. TBH, Buffalo isnt that great of a sports town. We love the Bills and Sabres... Bandits too I guess. But after that, support for lower-level stuff is a bit difficult. If the program was able to get some traction and go the route Temple took... I think they could get into one of the major conferences and maybe could earn more 'common' support from the locals.

I think playing in a dome would help immensely. The MAC has a TV deal with ESPN for Tuesday and Wednesday night games in October and November. Nothing is as brutal as sitting in UB stadium at night. Wide open stands, no shelter from the wind and no place to warm up other than the bathrooms.

But I think with a new stadium and field house they would make the jump to the AAC.

I think playing in a dome would help immensely. The MAC has a TV deal with ESPN for Tuesday and Wednesday night games in October and November. Nothing is as brutal as sitting in UB stadium at night. Wide open stands, no shelter from the wind and no place to warm up other than the bathrooms.

But I think with a new stadium and field house they would make the jump to the AAC.

UB Needs to pony up the money and go get a Legitamite head coach. Im talking an OC from Clemson or DC from Alabama type Deal (I know the Bama DC went to GA).

The tickets are free if you have a student ID

Did not know that.

For the AVG fan then who wants to watch football and be downtown. Go see UB play for 15 a ticket compared to 60 a ticket. get to see the bills new fancy stadium.

Its going to take a lot more than just a stadium to turn UB around though.

Would other Bills fans be willing to share a stadium with the Buffalo Bulls from the University of Buffalo if a new stadium is built? The UB Football Team has had some success over the past few seasons, but they had a down year this season. The UB Football Team needs a new stadium soon also. Other NFL teams that share a stadium are:
Georgia State plays at the Georgia Dome
UMass plays at Gillette Stadium
University of Miami plays at Sun Life Stadium
Temple University plays at Lincoln Financial Field
Pitt Panthers play at Heinz Field
San Diego St plays at Qualcomm Stadium
USF plays at Raymond James Stadium
Metlife Stadium always hosts a college game yearly
Since both teams are in need of new stadiums, would Bills fans support the idea of the UB Football Team playing their games in the new stadium on Saturdays? Also, would other Bills fans support a possible college bowl game being played at the new stadium? Many bowl games are played at NFL Stadiums. Thought

UMass games at Gillette are pretty sparsely attended; if I recall they average less than 12k fans. If anything they should look at getting Syracuse to play a few games in Buffalo.

NCAA FBS requirement for attendance is 15,000 average over a 2-year rolling period. https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football%20Bowl%20Subqa%2012%208%2014.pdf

UB averaged over 20,000 in 2014: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2014.pdf

There are often huge discrepancies between official attendance and actual attendance. With free student tickets and discount deals available to everyone else, one also has to consider PAID attendance. That revenue plus booster dollars are what drives programs' bottom lines. How could UB make money in an NFL stadium? They only way is if it got a lot - and I mean A LOT - better as a program. That would need to have to happen first.

Also there is the big question of whether or not there is any advantage to the Bills if they share the stadium. They'll be the ones that have to be sold on the idea because without their support it wouldn't happen.

UMass games at Gillette are pretty sparsely attended; if I recall they average less than 12k fans. If anything they should look at getting Syracuse to play a few games in Buffalo.

Why would SU give up dome game revenue? Why would SU locals trek to Buffalo to watch that team?

The Tulane Stadium that someone referenced earlier does as well. They have a really nice all-inclusive club too. That's the perfect model for UB if they get their own stadium.

I can buy beer at a FSU basketball game cuz the arena isn't on campus, FSU just voted to sell beer at their baseball games.The baseball stadium is on campus.I cannot buy beer at an FSU football game as the stadium is on campus, unless I am in a club/luxury box. I'm so confused.

Edited by Dopey