25 Years Ago Today The Bills Were Robbed Of SB XXV

The Bills weren't robbed. They were their own worst enemy in many ways. Thurman ran all other the Giants in the fist half and they stopped feeding him the rock in the second. Defensively, that team was limited and I always felt like they should've bolstered the D-Line during that run. Jeff Wright played beyond his potential but he still was a liability. Additionally, Walt Corey was a mediocre coordinator, at best. How do you have an innovator like Marchibroda on one side and a dud like Corey to coach the defense. Lastly, I love Marv, but a truly great coach has control of his team and gets them to focus on the biggest game of their lives, not the Tampa nightlife.A stronger coach and we win that game going away.

Agree 100%. Been saying the same for years. Kelly's ego wouldn't allow Belichick to alter his game, even though Thurman was running wild on the Giants.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belicheck was only rushing 2-3 people. Thurmon could have run all over them. Then Belicheck adjusts and brings the heat. Then Kelly shred the pass defense. It wasn't as simple as jsut run for three more quarters, but we would have torched them if we just made the necessary adjustments.

I guess it's fun for some to dissect this game because there is very little to be excited about a Rex run team.

The Bills have no one to blame but themselves for even being in that position. They treated the whole week like a party and didn't prepare to win a game properly. If they had, they would have beat the Giants by 2 touchdowns.

Ahhh youth. Youth should not be wasted on the young, and Marv should have put a bit of a collar on the guys during Super Bowl week to re-direct their attention to why they were there to begin with.

Lip-synced.

She must have taken lessons from Millie-Vanillie.

It's interesting watching this video how much Kelly is a peace with what happened and isn't tortured by the memory or stuck on "what if". He has tremendous prospective as a human being and I strongly suspect that is driven by his faith.

Not really surprising at all where Kelly is at with his football career after everything else he had to deal with later on in life

As much as I remember watching that game, and as much as I love the Bills and Bills fans' remarkable response to that loss, I am so tired by it. I don't want to think about that game anymore. When we hopefully win, that game will be nothing more than a footnote. Now it looms large; unfortunately.

...on that final drive, and they could have, and should have, gotten at least about 7-10 yards closer, in order to give Scotty an easier kick.

The game official prevented that from happening.

1. McKeller's catch was was 100% obvious.

2. The official waits until the Bills pass offense is facing the disorganized Giants pass defense and then calls for a review?

3. The Bills pass offense had all the receivers INCLUDING Thurman Thomas lined up on the far side of the field ready to go out of bound when the ball was caught.

4. Then the Bills could have run Thurman for even more yards.

5. Norwood would have been in his FG range.

6. "little breather" for the Giants? WTF?

The look on Jim Kelly's face in response to the official calling for a play review is telling He's in complete disbelief. I watched the the whole game tape and Kelly had a similar expression one other time. That was when the Bills offense first got the ball in the second half. Kelly threw to a Bills receiver but the Bills receiver was interfered with - it was an obvious PI against the Giants. But the official called a holding on a Bills receiver. They never showed the Bills penalty and Jim Kelly had a WTF expression on his face. It was like the play it was just swept under the rug. It was a 3rd down play so the Bills had to punt.

The NFL screwed the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXV.

No doubt.

The only time in my life where I had tears running down my face after a friggin' football game.

And how do you feel now after seeing how the official intentionally prevented the Buffalo Bills from getting kicker Scott Norwood into better FG range by calling for a review of an OBVIOUS catch?

Without the official giving the Giants the gift of a "little breather" the Bills should have won Super Bowl XXV.

And how do you feel now after seeing how the official intentionally prevented the Buffalo Bills from getting kicker Scott Norwood into better FG range by calling for a review of an OBVIOUS catch?

Without the official giving the Giants the gift of a "little breather" the Bills should have won Super Bowl XXV.

Dude, if Al Edwards does his job on the final play from scrimmage we're not having this conversation. It was there for the taking--his half assed non-block block cost thomas at least 10 yards and getting out of bounds.

Dude, if Al Edwards does his job on the final play from scrimmage we're not having this conversation. It was there for the taking--his half assed non-block block cost thomas at least 10 yards and getting out of bounds.

It's not about Al Edwards.

It's about the game official INTENTIONALLY stopping the Buffalo Bills from getting more yards for kicker Scott Norwood's game winning field goal.

The NFL prevented the Buffalo Bills from winning Super Bowl XXV.

Look at the video - anyone can see it.

"little breather"

I just watched that and I have to say, thanks you've just ruined my Sunday :censored:

I apologize for ruining your Sunday.

But the NFL ruined the Buffalo Bills chances to win Super Bowl XXV.

The game official gave the Giant a "little breather" to keep Bills kicker Scott Norwood out of FG range.

Mckeller's catch was 100% legitimate and no way did it need any kind of review. None. No freaking way!

I cried my stinking eyes out watching the 4 Falls of Buffalo documentary when they showed that first SB loss. I mean, just completey balling out. It was exactly the same feeling I had as a 10 year old kid.

How do you feel about the Bills "losing" Super Bowl XXV now that there is proof that the NLF screwed the Bills via the "little breather" that the game official gave to the New York Giants?

There is no proof. There were a thousand and one reasons the Bills lost that game. You choose to pick up on one that no one else in the world has ever mentioned and you're sticking to it no matter what. The Bills lost that game on their own, no the officials did not screw them, the Bills really screwed themselves.

youkeepusingthatword.png

Can you please explain why the game official called for a review of an obvious McKeller catch?

Can you also explain why the official took so much time to make the decision to call for a review?

Can you also explain why the official called for a review when the Buffalo Bills pass offense was lined up against the Giants pass defense that was in disarray?

Can you also explain what Frank Gifford's two words "little breather" mean to you?

Can you project what the outcome of Super Bowl XXV would have been if the game official didn't give the Giants the gift of that "little breather"?

Did anyone note the irony of the fact that Manning's backwards lateral was less of a backwards lateral than the Music City Miracle? Wade was the victim on both of these plays!

Good point on Wade - I wonder if he realizes he was the victim of both?

This had me yelling at the TV that night, and still irks me 25 years later. LOL I also thought that the clock management was terrible on that final drive, and they could have, and should have, gotten at least about 7-10 yards closer, in order to give Scotty an easier kick.

Bill Walsh was quoted as saying the Bills lost SB 25 because of poor clock management. Whether he was specifically alluding to your point or was referring to the whole game I dunno. I will check with him when I die and go to heaven.

Top 50 Super Bowl Performances | Thurman Thomas in Super Bowl XXV (#45) (1:07)

Thurman Thomas totals 190 yards and a touchdown in the Bills 20-19 loss to the Giants in Super Bowl XXV.

Super Bowl XXV: Bills vs. Giants- Jan. 27, 1991

tempjim-kelly-super-bowl-xxv--nfl_mezz_1

Check out photos from Buffalo's first Super Bowl appearance, 25 years ago, against the Giants.

Bill Walsh was quoted as saying the Bills lost SB 25 because of poor clock management. Whether he was specifically alluding to your point or was referring to the whole game I dunno. I will check with him when I die and go to heaven.

The Buffalo Bills "lost" Super Bowl XXV because the game officials gave the Giants a "little breather" to keep Bills kicker Scott Norwood out of his FG range.