Americans hate the Federal Government more than ever

The original leftist pantywaist enjoyed doing work...

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/blog/how-small-group-of-world-war-ii-conscientious-objectors-took-art-and-peace-from-margins-to

"...At Civilian Public Service Camp #56, located just south of Waldport, pacifists and political objectors spent their daylight hours planting trees, crushing rock, building roads, and fighting forest fires fifty hours a week, for no pay. At night, they published books, produced plays, and made art and musicals during their limited non-work hours, with little money and resources. They were the Fine Arts Group at Waldport, and their focus was not so much on the current war, but on what kind of society might be possible when the shooting finally stopped..."

What the hell happened since!

Ah, WW11 conscientious objectors---people who really knew what was important. Did they support the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust too?

Ah, WW11 conscientious objectors---people who really knew what was important. Did they support the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust too?

Yeah... I get you. You are taking a very simple view, and this coming from a simpleton.

As the part I quoted... It obvious, they knew what side was the right side to be on... Probably more of a personal objection AND like the quote mentioned, "once the shooting stopped." They knew it was inevitable that shooting had to be.

I guess you have to look at it (WWII objectors) like that. I still say, they would view it as a just war.

This is simply not viewed as you are trying to view it in an overly simple way or comparing to objections made in other eras. It has to be viewed w/respect to WWII only.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Really was my point... These leftist pantywaists worked...

One could have been against violence and went into the Merchant Marines... There is all kinds of service to be done and still be on the right side. WWII is viewed not like others...

This would be a great topic to discuss because WWII was such a unique case... Almost nobody objected to the actual justification for war... Including these ones... Their service to the war effort just channeled in other ways...

It is like we have a 180 opposite of those times... People simply don't want to do any kind of work... Where back then there were many indians and few chiefs, now it seems everybody wants to be the chief.

This is simply not what that early movement wanted. You can object but still be on the right side, agree w/the right side... Work for the right side in a productive capacity... As these people did. Somebody still had to crush rock, build roads, and keep the home camp from burning to the ground... Not everybody is cut out to be the "hero". And... I wouldn't call people cowards either. Simply people knew their roles.

Now? It seems everything is so grossly manipulated for the individual gain. These objectors maybe gained from not putting themselves in front of a bullet, but labor & safety conditions of that era were almost no better than being exposed to that bullet.

It is like we have a 180 opposite of those times... People simply don't want to do any kind of work... Where back then there were many indians and few chiefs, now it seems everybody wants to be the chief.

This is simply not what that early movement wanted. You can object but still be on the right side, agree w/the right side... Work for the right side in a productive capacity... As these people did. Somebody still had to crush rock, build roads, and keep the home camp from burning to the ground... Not everybody is cut out to be the "hero". And... I wouldn't call people cowards either. Simply people knew their roles.

Now? It seems everything is so grossly manipulated for the individual gain. These objectors maybe gained from not putting themselves in front of a bullet, but labor & safety conditions of that era were almost no better than being exposed to that bullet.

I see you had to make three consecutive posts to put out all your bs. So, these objectors agreed with the premise of the war but only other people should put their lives at risk?

I see you had to make three consecutive posts to put out all your bs. So, these objectors agreed with the premise of the war but only other people should put their lives at risk?

No. I am on a phone outside doing work... In rain... Stream of consciousness and trying to stay focused on other things at hand.

And make edits on small on-screen keyboard... :-(

And you don't think they put their lives at risk fighting forest fires in the 1940s?

What means did they use to crush rock back in day?

Way over your head 3rd...

Sounds like Bush supporters and Iraq War

Shop till you drop! We will fight the war!

Then put down the phone, dumbass.

He he... I guess I am addicted... I do put the phone down before anything major happens...

What fun is life if you can't live on the edge... While hypertasking? ;-)

I am @ home BTW... So the dumbazzery is on me! ;-)

He he... I guess I am addicted... I do put the phone down before anything major happens...

What fun is life if you can't live on the edge... While hypertasking? ;-)

I am @ home BTW... So the dumbazzery is on me! ;-)

I admire your self awareness and willingness to feel and acknowledge shame.

I admire your self awareness and willingness to feel and acknowledge shame.

THANKS! I wish more would!

I just had a discussion w/my 17 year old son about having no shame... It must have NOT rubbed off? He comes home with a huge hicky on his neck last night. No big deal for him @ the time, I say: "Wow! Holy Moly!" Still, no big deal for him @ the time... FF to this morning. He gets going and @ last second says: "Do you have anything to cover this up with?" I said: "Last night it wasn't a big deal... My good Man, you should have thought about that when ******** was sucking on your neck for what looks like eternity! You will have to ride this one out Dude!" He says to me: "Well I will just say I got hit by a lacrosse ball!" Yeah, that's it I say, man... They probably think you should have went to the hospital with a contusion to the neck like that... :-/

Absolutely no shame... What are we to do... Take his Jeep away for getting a hicky? Maybe he will be a lawyer, he's got the story down.

LoL... It does kinda look like a lacrosse ball hit him! Ha! Good thing he isn't on the speech team or fencing club.

:-/

THANKS! I wish more would!

I just had a discussion w/my 17 year old son about having no shame... It must have NOT rubbed off? He comes home with a huge hicky on his neck last night. No big deal for him @ the time, I say: "Wow! Holy Moly!" Still, no big deal for him @ the time... FF to this morning. He gets going and @ last second says: "Do you have anything to cover this up with?" I said: "Last night it wasn't a big deal... My good Man, you should have thought about that when ******** was sucking on your neck for what looks like eternity! You will have to ride this one out Dude!" He says to me: "Well I will just say I got hit by a lacrosse ball!" Yeah, that's it I say, man... They probably think you should have went to the hospital with a contusion to the neck like that... :-/

Absolutely no shame... What are we to do... Take his Jeep away for getting a hicky? Maybe he will be a lawyer, he's got the story down.

LoL... It does kinda look like a lacrosse ball hit him! Ha! Good thing he isn't on the speech team or fencing club.

:-/

That's why I always got my hickies on my d#@% - no explanations necessary.

How the Scandinavians got so tall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/08/how-the-scandinavians-made-themselves-among-the-tallest-people-in-the-world/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_3_na

"In "American Amnesia," Hacker and Pierson argue that Americans have forgotten the hard-headed resourcefulness that made America prosper -- that we've forgotten that sometimes the best tool for fixing a problem is the government. The authors blame this absentmindedness on what they view as misguided conservative ideology.

Americans now tend to think about our government as a constraint on our freedom, or, at best, as a kind of necessary evil that is occasionally useful for correcting the free market's excesses. Even those on the left sometimes narrowly view the government primarily as a way of redistributing income from the wealthy to those in need, according to Hacker and Pierson.

In Hacker and Pierson's expansive account of the history of U.S. politics, by contrast, the government isn't just a means for redistribution or even an economic handicap. Rather, they argue, the government is a crucial source of economic growth..."

Read more... Watch for exploding heads...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/08/how-the-scandinavians-made-themselves-among-the-tallest-people-in-the-world/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_3_na

"In "American Amnesia," Hacker and Pierson argue that Americans have forgotten the hard-headed resourcefulness that made America prosper -- that we've forgotten that sometimes the best tool for fixing a problem is the government. The authors blame this absentmindedness on what they view as misguided conservative ideology.

Americans now tend to think about our government as a constraint on our freedom, or, at best, as a kind of necessary evil that is occasionally useful for correcting the free market's excesses. Even those on the left sometimes narrowly view the government primarily as a way of redistributing income from the wealthy to those in need, according to Hacker and Pierson.

In Hacker and Pierson's expansive account of the history of U.S. politics, by contrast, the government isn't just a means for redistribution or even an economic handicap. Rather, they argue, the government is a crucial source of economic growth..."

You're not only an idiot but a phucking idiot. I mean that sincerely.

Did you ever think that the increased size of and our ever increasing reliance on the government has had a negative impact on the resourcefulness that made us great?

Sounds like Bush supporters and Iraq War

Yeah, yeah, here we go. :rolleyes: Let's take this idiocy to a logical conculsion: by that standard, you can't support the Peace Corps unless you join it. You can't support teachers unless you are one. You can't be an envirotologist unless you quit your job and protest every day. You also can't support school meals unless you send your kids to public school.

Now, let's hold every liberal to that standard. Oh, wait, you say no? You don't want to schit in a hole in Africa? You don't want to work with 30% people who don't care, 30% who are just happy to have a job, and 40% who do all the work while the other 2 groups B word? You don't want to deal with kids who show up to school with bed bugs, and, you want to make "real money"? You want to have a real job and not live in a tent or a tree? And of course, you want to send your kids to private school, especially if you live in a city.

Yeah, once we hold liberals to the same standard they hold "supporters of the Iraq War"? Things get real serious, real quick for them.

Thus, it's a ridiculous argument, and I've shut over 50 mouths with it in real life. They always get real pissed too, which adds to the fun.

Nothing like proving you're an idiot in public. All I have to do is facilitate...they do all the heavy lifting.

EDIT: gatorman doesn't count towards my tally, because he proved he was an idiot in public, ages ago.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Did you ever think that the increased size of and our ever increasing reliance on the government has had a negative impact on the resourcefulness that made us great?

Hey... What does it have to do w/me? It wasn't my study. Don't shoot the messenger.

You're not only an idiot but a phucking idiot. I mean that sincerely.

Again, it wasn't my study... Did I say I even agreed w/it?

Just thought you guy's heads would explode... I guess they did.