Wegmans coming to Raleigh/Triangle

Oh please please please make this come true.

they coming E..i know the developer that brought one the stores to Richmond...they will just keep going down the Eastern US till they in Miami in a decade or so.

The one near me should be open in about 2 months!

Great news....appropriate that it is proposed for Cary -- which is the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.....but wish it was Wake Forest....

When we moved to where we are in Cary (off Davis Drive) 20 years ago we had to go prob 5 miles to the nearest grocery store - now there are at least 7 within a two mile radius

When we moved to where we are in Cary (off Davis Drive) 20 years ago we had to go prob 5 miles to the nearest grocery store - now there are at least 7 within a two mile radius

Yep Steve, I worked in RTP for 14 years (2000-2014).. Davis Dr. is nothing like the little 2 lane feeder road through pastures it once was...When I lived in Chapel Hill in the late 1980s, Cary was 10,000 residents....now we are getting a Wegmans...we have truly arrived. ;)

Edited by JoeF

What are the big competitors in that market?

I always felt that wegmans didn't try to enter markets with huge existing stores that had monopolies of sorts.

i heard at one time that if you have Giant Eagle, you won't get Wegmans. I don't know if that's true or not. We do have many Giant Eagles, and Market District, which IMO is trying to be Wegmans. But they don't have the monopoly, seems like Kroger does. None are close to as good! And they keep building more Whole Foods here, which I think is a rip off. Edited by YoloinOhio

I always felt that wegmans didn't try to enter markets with huge existing stores that had monopolies of sorts.

Triangle has Harris Teeter which is now owned by Kroger as the largest player. Food Lion is also a big player. Publix entered the market about 3 years ago. Whole Foods has 3 locations. Trader Joe's 3 locations. Aldi I think 4 locations. Fresh Market and Earthfare also here with one location each I think. There is really no place like Wegmans...its a market ready to be picked and Wegman's already is a brand lots of local folks know because of relocation from WNY...

Wegmans did not enter markets where another local family had a dominating presence For example, in Richmond Ukrops was family owned , Christian values , dominated the market. Once they sold to Abold and became Martins, Wegmans started to make their plans of the entering the Market. They respected the hell of the Ukrops as another family owned business, did not want to compete with them.

Key to Wegmans is really current and future demographics. They don't worry about the compitition , as they are entering a Richmond market already over saturated with grocery stores. Theyhave a planned growth strategy , key is parcels of real estate big enough to support not only the commercial development outside of Wegmans to create a destination , but also acclimate residential development and built in customers.

The Wegmans in West End richmond is coming with a Cabellas outddor store, like 4 local resturants, and a whole bunch of other retail Growlers to go is even going to be in there, so they not afraid of a store offering something similar to them.

My buddy who worked with them in deal said best people he has worked with in the 30'yeatsvhe has been in the business.

Wegmans did not enter markets where another local family had a dominating presence For example, in Richmond Ukrops was family owned , Christian values , dominated the market. Once they sold to Abold and became Martins, Wegmans started to make their plans of the entering the Market. They respected the hell of the Ukrops as another family owned business, did not want to compete with them.

Key to Wegmans is really current and future demographics. They don't worry about the compitition , as they are entering a Richmond market already over saturated with grocery stores. Theyhave a planned growth strategy , key is parcels of real estate big enough to support not only the commercial development outside of Wegmans to create a destination , but also acclimate residential development and built in customers.

The Wegmans in West End richmond is coming with a Cabellas outddor store, like 4 local resturants, and a whole bunch of other retail Growlers to go is even going to be in there, so they not afraid of a store offering something similar to them.

My buddy who worked with them in deal said best people he has worked with in the 30'yeatsvhe has been in the business.

Thanks for the insights...why worry about competition when you do business the right way and redefine the industry...

Harris Teeter, Kroger, Food Lion, Whole Foods...

Wegmans will destroy them.

Harris Teeter, Kroger, Food Lion, Whole Foods...

Wegmans will destroy them.

Yep, and Publix that came to the area a few years ago with great fanfare. I've stopped in once or twice to the Publix in Cary......nice store...but can't hold a candle to Wegmans.

Edited by BillsFanNC

Yep, and Publix that came to the area a few years ago with great fanfare. I've stopped in once or twice to the Publix in Cary......nice store...but can't hold a candle to Wegmans.

Not to mention that the popular acronym for Cary, NC, around here is Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. Lots of folks who already know about Wegmans and will be thrilled to be patrons.