RG3 as the Bills backup QB?

Wait, you want to TRADE for RGIII and take on his $16M salary, as a QB "Plan B"? While Overdorf is already sitting there with the Bills salary cap sheet in front of him, trying to figure out what player we might just as soon keep he must cut to sign Incognito and Glenn and extend Gilmore? (....) And what players do you plan to cut, or let go in FA, to make room, and how will you fill those holes?

EJ is not an NFL QB having him in camp would be a disservice to Bills fans

There have been enough examples of reclamation projects prospering in new settings to make that seem quite possible.

If you're going to keep this "trade for RGIII" stuff going, you really shouldn't ignore the question: If you think the Bills should trade for RGIII because "EJ is not an NFL QB", who do you plan to cut to make room for his $16M 2016 salary, and how do you plan to fill those holes?

You are right that there are examples of reclamation projects prospering in new settings. There are also examples of reclamation projects doing "more of the same" in new settings. What leads you to believe that RGIII has the characteristics of the projects which prosper, and not the prospects that fizzle?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to keep this "trade for RGIII" stuff going, you really shouldn't ignore the question: If you think the Bills should trade for RGIII because "EJ is not an NFL QB", who do you plan to cut to make room for his $16M 2016 salary, and how do you plan to fill those holes?

You are right that there are examples of reclamation projects prospering in new settings. There are also examples of reclamation projects doing "more of the same" in new settings. What leads you to believe that RGIII has the characteristics of the projects which prosper, and not the prospects that fizzle?

What interests me about RG3 is that his skills seem to be a good fit for Greg Roman's offensive system. I understand that signing him would be a crapshoot.

The money is a big problem and you're right the trade wouldn't work with that big of a salary. The only way he could be added to the team is as a free agent, given that he would likely have better opportunities to compete for a starting job somewhere else signing him would be unlikely.

What interests me about RG3 is that his skills seem to be a good fit for Greg Roman's offensive system. I understand that signing him would be a crapshoot.

That's it for me in a nutshell. I think he could thrive under Roman, and I think Kap could too. Both are reclamation projects with big upside if the money is right plus insurance and competition for TT.

That's it for me in a nutshell. I think he could thrive under Roman, and I think Kap could too. Both are reclamation projects with big upside if the money is right plus insurance and competition for TT.

Either of these on the free agent market will likely be spendy. Many teams are looking for QBs this year. We'd be competing with a lot of teams.

The money is a big problem and you're right the trade wouldn't work with that big of a salary. The only way he could be added to the team is as a free agent, given that he would likely have better opportunities to compete for a starting job somewhere else signing him would be unlikely.

fair and reasonable.

Money! is reason enough to end the discussion though.

Be interested to watch who picks him up , and at what expectation.

and at what cost.

Then watch how he does.

He might be a fit for Roman. But only Roman's hairdresser knows that for sure.

I am a

wait and see

Yes, take him. Almost a mirror image and player as TT. If he did have to play, not sure one thing would need to be changed for the offense.

Almost mirror imagine before he was ruined.......RGiii is awful. I live and DC and catch a lot of skins games on the side. Trust me. We're better off with EJ the. RGiii. But what we need to do is draft someone on 2nd or 3rd

Yeah, it's always intriguing when a guy has a RotY season and then disappears. Where did he go? Is he still in there somewhere? I agree, the RGIII of his rookie year would be a great fit for Greg Roman.

I agree on both points - I don't see a way to fit in a trade for a $16M man - any $16M man. And I think there are teams with starting opportunities pursuing him if he's cut.

Yeah, it's always intriguing when a guy has a RotY season and then disappears. Where did he go? Is he still in there somewhere? I agree, the RGIII of his rookie year would be a great fit for Greg Roman.

I agree on both points - I don't see a way to fit in a trade for a $16M man - any $16M man. And I think there are teams with starting opportunities pursuing him if he's cut.

He will be cut. No way the Skins pay 16m for a backup. They will pay that to Cousins. The question is does anyone outside of Houston, Cleveland the Rams and possibly Philadelphia see him as a starter. None of these teams run a system suitable to his style.

Teams that have mobile QB's who are a running threat.

Buffalo

Seattle

Tennessee

Kansas City

Jacksonville

Minnesota

San Francisco

All of these teams have an entrenched starter. The Bills seem like the team that RG3 could have the best shot at earning some playing time outside the four who need a starter. Now the question comes down to cost. Who can or will pay RG3 5-6m a year. No way I think he gets more.

As many as eight teams could have interest in Redskins QB Robert Griffin III
MEDIUM

Buffalo Bills: I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of Griffin coming to Buffalo because the Bills might be able to snag him at a low price this offseason. The question the Bills' front office must answer is whether Griffin would be an upgrade over backup EJ Manuel, who went 0-2 as the starter this season but has a fully guaranteed base salary next season. The Bills can't save anything by releasing Manuel, and with their tight salary-cap situation, they can't afford to pay Griffin much more than the minimum salary. He would need to be cheap and offer upside over Manuel. -- Mike Rodak