Simms and Nantz

They beat up on Burfict and Jones, but Shazier's hit was "legal" but just as vicious. And Shazier acts like an ass.

At work on an early Sunday morning...so thanks for the comments in this thread, they actually made me LOL.

Totally agree on Nanace & Simms being horrible. Michaels & Collinsworth are OK, although Al seems like he's auditioning for "The Comic" every week. I would say that Tirico & Gruden are the best out of the latter three. Tirico really only amps it way up when necessary, while some of the other guys go orgasmic over an off tackle 12-yard run. LOL

As far as the comment above, after the game last night, ESPN had on a former NFL ref (20+ years experience) and he said that the Shazier hit should definitely have been flagged as a PF, because he lowered his head and led with the crown of the helmet. In the latter case, even if you don't go "helmet-to-helmet", he said it's STILL a penalty. I agree. The player is putting himself at great risk in that situation.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not cool, but I think Simms is the best. He does not get too hyped up, doesn't hero-worship and doesn't tell us that something happened when clearly it didn't. I see a lot of complaints about Simms but no specifics--just, "he sucks" or "I hate him". Not very convincing. What specifically do you not like?

Nantz, I agree, is awful.

Edited by mannc

They have to talk a lot.

25 games a year, at 3 hour clips is hard to keep original, insightful, and interesting to the wide range in the audience.

I recognize that it is a different era now where "personality" is part of the package. But one of my all time favorite football announcers is Ray Scott---the embodiment of brevity and clarity. Another person who would fit in that efficient and no frills mode is Verne Lundquist. Both value the quality of their words more than the quantity of their words. Vince Scully (baseball) is another announcer who doesn't overwhelm you with superfluous commentary. Each of these three TV/Radio legends crisply describe what is happening on the field.

Without a doubt my view is antiquated in a world of loud noise. .

I miss Don Criqui and also miss Dick Enberg.

I would punch Phil Simms in the face if ever given the chance. Ever notice he doesn't "him," he says "eme,", which drives me nuts!

Piss poor english from a guy doing national broadcasts, plus I think he beats off to a poster of Tom Brady!

I know it's not cool, but I think Simms is the best. He does not get too hyped up, doesn't hero-worship and doesn't tell us that something happened when clearly it didn't. I see a lot of complaints about Simms but no specifics--just, "he sucks" or "I hate him". Not very convincing. What specifically do you not like?

I agree. I hated him as a player, he was always whining, and complaining. But as an analyst he is excellent. He knows what he is talking about, and often anticipates what is about to happen.

I hate Simms. For Nantz, I personally give him a pass on everything for his annual Master's performances. Seriously, I am not just saying that. I have heard him do okay, average or other performances and I think about it and say "its fine based on Nantz's awesome Master's showings". He could never disappoint me!!

Once again, Simms blows!!

I like Collingsworth. I can deal with Gruden in short doses, but, mostly because Gruden teaches me things I don't know or understand.

Really?

Why are there two guys in the booth in the first place? I'm old enough to remember when all the sports were announced by a single guy and that was the golden era of announcers...Mel Allen, Lindsay Nelson, Ernie Harwell, Red Barber, Vin Scully, Keith Jackson, et al(some were forced to work with a commentator in later years). No over-amped hysterics, no motor mouths, no marble-mouths. Today's guys seem to have a deep fear of letting one second go by without talking. It's exhausting to listen to.

Why are there two guys in the booth in the first place? I'm old enough to remember when all the sports were announced by a single guy and that was the golden era of announcers...Mel Allen, Lindsay Nelson, Ernie Harwell, Red Barber, Vin Scully, Keith Jackson, et al(some were forced to work with a commentator in later years). No over-amped hysterics, no motor mouths, no marble-mouths. Today's guys seem to have a deep fear of letting one second go by without talking. It's exhausting to listen to.

One former athlete who surprised me with his transition from the field to the booth is Troy Aikman. He doesn't over do it with his commentary and he is succinct.

someone needs to open the beers

Doesn't hero worship? Really? He and Nantz are both total Brady/Pats* knob gobblers.

I agree with John C above--I hated him as a player, but Troy Aikman is a good commentator.

I do like Colinsworth and I have a bias against Gruden. Our sons were about the same age and competed in HS. Gruden, according to multiple credible reports, had some very personal and negative comments, loud enough for the entire field to hear, about opposing 15-18 year old kids. (Such as go after #16, he can't cover anyone!) Not cool. He also marched around like he was some kind of damn emperor during 7 on 7's. Very off-putting. And his mini-QB son is suspiciously fire plug looking, even for such a short kid. Very suspicious, indeed. We saw a lot of kids like that at the state weight lifting finals (where they do not test, by the way.) My son was glad to get some picks on him to win 7 on 7's. I'd rather have him on TV where I can ignore him than as coach of my team.

Edited by Augie

At one point this weekend there was some tech difficulties during (i think) the Texans game. FOr like 4-5 plays there were NO anouncers but they still had the on-field audio. It was AWESOME!!!!!!

I wish we had the option to turn those bozos off,.

At one point this weekend there was some tech difficulties during (i think) the Texans game. FOr like 4-5 plays there were NO anouncers but they still had the on-field audio. It was AWESOME!!!!!!

Didn't NBC (maybe?) do that as an experiment about 20 years ago for an entire game? It was refreshing. Edited by Augie

That was during the Steelers game. Nantz and Simms cut out for a minute and Boomer Esiason ended up calling a play or two from the studio

Didn't NBC (maybe?) do that as an experiment about 20 years ago for an entire game? It was refreshing.

I watched last weeks FBS playoff between Michigan State and Alabama via WatchESPN. The stream I started with didn't have announcers and it was great. Eventually it buffered and I had to restart the stream, but when it picked back up the announcers were back