Report: Titans to squander position, hire Mularkey

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing Devil's Advocate... lots of NFL coaches needed years of on-the-job training to become good HCs.

Marv Levy, Peter Carroll, and Bill Bellichick, for example, all had losing records in their first HC gigs.

I'm guessing the Titans feel like Mularkey has learned some valuable lessons since he was last a HC.

he's holding out for a "manager"

position, like Cousin Eddie

Well played

Marrone Sexton and Schefter in a bar.

Sexton says " well whaddya think? and gimme another Scotch "

Schefter says " next year is the year the iron will be hot and gimme another Scotch too, make it a double"

Marrone says " Just set the bottle in front of us "

Bartender says " Obviously "

chuckles from the dishwasher and the drunk chick

Lmao!!

Marrone was the Jags offensive line coach last year and still is so he wasn't and still isn't on the unemployment line.

There have been 14 openings the last two years with Marrone interviewing for 7 or 8 so not even close to interviewing with half the league.

I do agree that he will end up looking to go back to college next year

So, essentially 14 of 32 teams don't want him. Pretty close to half.

I'm sure the Titans just wanted to go with stability in making their decision. :lol:

The Titans went with stability and continuity when they hired Mularkey. As Bills fans we are not in position to chortle. We hired a huckster who is the embodiment of instability. Wherever he is at there there follows a carnival sideshow. Predictably, he draws more attention for his blustering and blubbering comments than for his team's quality of play and his coaching prowess.

Is Mularkey an uninspiring and mediocre hire? Probably so. But I would prefer a boring personality of a mature person over a loud and obnoxious personality of an immature and undisciplined person. Mularkey certainly isn't an innovative coach. But he would not be dumb enough to take a highly ranked defense and turn it into a confused unit for the sake of running a scheme he is more comfortable with.

We hired a colorful personality who had a losing record with the team he had a long association with. He finished his stint with his former team by leaving it in shambles. The Pegulas hired him for whatever reason. The Rex Ryan we hired is the Rex Ryan we got. He worked his destructive magic in his first season with the Bills. Let's give him more time to set back a franchise that was moving forward. Hallelujah! Let's ridicule another organization for not being as absurd as the one located in western NY.

How is Mularkey worse than Rex and his twin?

He was horrible in Dances with Wolves.

So, essentially 14 of 32 teams don't want him. Pretty close to half.

Add Buffalo to that mix and it's 15.

The Titans went with stability and continuity when they hired Mularkey. As Bills fans we are not in position to chortle.

We hired a colorful personality who had a losing record with the team he had a long association with. He finished his stint with his former team by leaving it in shambles. The Pegulas hired him for whatever reason. The Rex Ryan we hired is the Rex Ryan we got. He worked his destructive magic in his first season with the Bills. Let's give him more time to set back a franchise that was moving forward. Hallelujah! Let's ridicule another organization for not being as absurd as the one located in western NY.

Take a breath.

A big reason Rex is still here is for the sake of "continuity".

The GMs in NY were more to blame than Rex was, IMHO.

And as far as "moving forward" just exactly how many playoff games did Marron's squads produce in his two years here? He went 6-10 his first year here. Rex went 8-8, and had his former team in two conference championship games. That's not exactly chopped liver, which Marron exactly is at this point.

He was horrible in Dances with Wolves.

Add Buffalo to that mix and it's 15.

Take a breath.

A big reason Rex is still here is for the sake of "continuity".

The GMs in NY were more to blame than Rex was, IMHO.

And as far as "moving forward" just exactly how many playoff games did Marron's squads produce in his two years here? He went 6-10 his first year here. Rex went 8-8, and had his former team in two conference championship games. That's not exactly chopped liver, which Marron exactly is at this point.

The comparison between Marrone and Rex's first year is not a good comparison. Marrone took over a team that was a border-line expansion team that was rebuilding. Rex took over a team that was much more advanced and had a fuller roster. Marrone's team in his second year improved from his first year. Rex took over a defense that for the previous two years was good. It took a precipitous fall under him. The offense although still not a finished product under Rex was upgraded from the prior year. Whaley spent a lot of cap money adding McCoy, Clay, Incongnito (bargain $$$) and the organization was surprised with the unexpected level of play from TT. My point is that in Marrone's last year he outperformed Rex who had a better roster. Or to put it simply DM did more with less compared to the loquacious RR.

Put aside the defensive scheme issue that is often a subject of discussion. It is apparent to me and most people that this Rex coached team was not a disciplined team, as exhibited by the number of penalties, it was not a mature team and a composed team. Those are hallmarks of a Rex coached team.

Rex is coming back for the sake of continuity. But it won't be long before the issue of coaching is another issue that will have to be addressed by the owners. That is an obvious set back for a franchise that was steadily moving forward.

What a joke for Titans fans. How can you get excited about this? Why does Mularkey get a third chance with a 31% winning percentage and someone can't get a first shot?

Odds are a first time coach will do better than Mularkey.

And he has had two and a half chances really. He had most of the season as interim HC and they sucked. If the Titans had really come on down the stretch I might say "right place, right time" but they sucked.

To me it looks like they picked the guy who Mariota felt most "comfortable" with. IMO a HC should be hired based on their ability to lead a team and a franchise, and not because of certain players on a team, even if it is the QB. Players come and go, players get hurt and can't play, etc. The HC needs to be a lot of things and the player situation on any team is too fluid IMO to hire a HC in large part because of the relationship with certain players, keeping the QB happy, fixing the QB, etc. Leave that to the QB coach and/or OC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

To me it looks like they picked the guy who Mariota felt most "comfortable" with. IMO a HC should be hired based on their ability to lead a team and a franchise, and not because of certain players on a team, even if it is the QB. Players come and go, players get hurt and can't play, etc. The HC needs to be a lot of things and the player situation on any team is too fluid IMO to hire a HC in large part because of the relationship with certain players, keeping the QB happy, fixing the QB, etc. Leave that to the QB coach and/or OC.

Agree. I also thinking you are cheating MM by keeping Mularkey. There seems like there are much better offensive minds out there for a young qb.

If the Titans has fans, they would probably be pissed. :)

Mularkey seems like a nice guy so I'll take no joy in his inevitable failure.

If he proves the critics of the move wrong I'll be happy for him. I just don't get the hire.

When (if ever) have you seen a team with a young, exciting franchise QB going into year #2 AND the #1 overall pick?

That's a sweet position to be in. You can take a monster on D or a skill position player (or better yet) trade that #1 pick to a QB needy team for a boatload of goodies.

Edited by TheFunPolice