Cordy's Big Deal: How Much Will He Get?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I hate stupid teams giving stupid deals out. Glenn is a better player than Castonzo but I don't feel his deal should be as high as Castonzo's.

I've said that Veldheer should be the kind of benchmark deal. With inflation, I'd be inclined to pay him around the $9m a year mark.

Cordy is a very good player and you have to pay him within reasonable demands. Of course, it's not my money.

The veldheer deal SHOULD have been the market, but as I said back in September, grigson hosed that up for us with that Castonzo contract.

Best we can hope for is that Glenn takes $8M-$9M per.

I think we may be able to get Richie in the fold for under $5M per.

Gilmore's contract is the biggie--I expect $11M per for that one

The veldheer deal SHOULD have been the market, but as I said back in September, grigson hosed that up for us with that Castonzo contract.

After the '16 season there's Gilmore to deal with and very possibly Tyrod's contract as well.

Cordy seems to be happy in Buffalo, team stuck by him through his medical issues. Nothing got leaked about it until the story broke as justification for the award nomination. Best case scenario is that he feels some loyalty to the team and takes the hometown 'discount'.

Richie is a tough one because nobody else on the open market has his circumstances. He has stated that he wants to stay and, quite frankly, I think he owes Rex. Teams weren't knocking down his door trying to get him under contract. Personally, I'd offer a 3 year deal with that 3rd year as a club option to protect from falloff of production from age.

Gilmore's contract is going to hurt his doubters when they read the details. Joe Haden is the spanner in the works. $13.5m a year average and he's really not very good. Even if sense prevails on the benchmark, it's going to be 8 figures a year in some way, shape or form.

SBNation did some good work there. I agree that the 5 year, $55M deal is a good approximation of what it'll take to re-sign Glenn at this point. I think it's a little more than what his value to the team is, but it's the deal you have to do at this point if you want to keep him. FA is looming and the market would definitely put his contract in that range - and maybe higher if some team got stupid.

Cordy will most likely get a similar deal to what Trent Williams got with Washington

Trent Williams signed a 5 year, $68,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $8,500,000 signing bonus, $41,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,600,000. In 2015, Williams will earn a base salary of $4,750,000, a signing bonus of $8,500,000, a roster bonus of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000. Williams has a cap hit of $10,680,388 while his dead money value is $34,215,000.

doesnt matter if he is worth it or not, he is a starting LT in the league and will get paid by someone

Hoping for 8-9 mill when the article is stating 11 mill per when the top end is 13 mill, maybe!

Incognito wants to stay in Buffalo and the going rate for a top OG is 8 mill per.

The past history of how the Bills pay their O-linemen tells me I doubt they sign either player.

Hoping for 8-9 mill when the article is stating 11 mill per when the top end is 13 mill, maybe!

Incognito wants to stay in Buffalo and the going rate for a top OG is 8 mill per.

The past history of how the Bills pay their O-linemen tells me I doubt they sign either player.

If they don't, then I don't see how the OL won't tank the team. It's close to a nightmare scenario. The right side is already marginal and Woods was good last season with Cogs next to him, but sucked the season before when lined up between two crappy guards. Slapping two new left side players that are either rookies or cheaper vets does not bode well.

I was saying just before Christmas - we are looking in that $10-11m a year range dependant on how much is guaranteed. If you allow him his down year in 2014 given what he had gone through then he looks like a top 10 NFL left tackle. The idea you are going to get him for $9m a year is fanciful to my mind.

We are very much in line on contract values for Glenn and Incognito.

I like Glenn but I don't know that the rest of the league views him as a $10M LT......having a huge run threat at QB helps tie up pass rushers.

I saw the Jets trying to contain Tyrod at the expense of rushing him a few times Sunday.........that makes the OL look a lot more effective.

And there is also the kidney issue as an aside.

Personally, I think he is $7M OT but I don't mind paying the premium of $8-$9M to keep him in Buffalo.

I saw somewhere on a link on TSW to one of the Bills fan/news sites that Incognito could get $8M per year?.............not on the open market he won't. :lol:

People aren't going to pay an OG in his 30's that kind of $.

Evan Mathis found that out last summer........he asked to be cut in hopes of making more money than his $5M and got a haircut instead.

I was thinking a $4-$5M deal over 3-4 seasons.......with likelihood being that he only plays 2-3 of those seasons.

I like Cordy and I think he is a decent players. But I would not break the bank to sign him. I would love to keep the line together as much as possible but with the other players who will be needing new contracts soon (Taylor, Gilmore, Incognito), it would be a mistake to panic and overpay Glenn. If you look at the contract of the LTs just outside the top tier of guys, you'll see contracts averaging $6-8m per year. That's were I'd put Glenn. My absolute maximum for him would be something like 5yrs for $43m or so. But I'd start the negotiations at $6m per year and go up from there. Veldheer's 5yr $35m deal might be a solid middle ground.

We are very much in line on contract values for Glenn and Incognito.

I like Glenn but I don't know that the rest of the league views him as a $10M LT......having a huge run threat at QB helps tie up pass rushers.

I saw the Jets trying to contain Tyrod at the expense of rushing him a few times Sunday.........that makes the OL look a lot more effective.

And there is also the kidney issue as an aside.

Personally, I think he is $7M OT but I don't mind paying the premium of $8-$9M to keep him in Buffalo.

I saw somewhere on a link on TSW to one of the Bills fan/news sites that Incognito could get $8M per year?.............not on the open market he won't. :lol:

People aren't going to pay an OG in his 30's that kind of $.

Evan Mathis found that out last summer........he asked to be cut in hopes of making more money than his $5M and got a haircut instead.

I was thinking a $4-$5M deal over 3-4 seasons.......with likelihood being that he only plays 2-3 of those seasons.

Indeed...we're on the same page.

I based Richie's numbers loosely on the Clint Boilng deal. I figure they're about even considering that Boling is 6 years younger, but that Richie is coming off of the best year either of them has had as a pro.

If Boling got $5.2M per, Richie should come back for $4.5M per IMO.

I've felt for a long time that Glenn would ask for $9M/year, but before Grigson hosed the market I figured you could get him to take $8M. Not anymore.

Just for fun, I went and played with the Spotrac roster tool again, and gave Glenn the same contract as Castonzo and Richie the same contract as Boling. I also released Mario, Kyle, Lawson, Easley, Dixon, Graham (in this case I assumed Williams is the guy that comes back--I don't think they'll both return, though if Graham stays and Williams goes, it's a bigger cap savings), and gave Leodis a 50% pay cut. Doing this, you can still add the following pieces that you and I discussed:

Sanu (for Cecil Shorts money)

Either Rey or McClain at ILB (for David Hawthorne money)

A NT like Harrison or Knighton (for Brandon Mebane money)

Pace or Upshaw at OLB (for the same as Pace's final year money in NJ)

That leaves about $3.5M left in space, so you'd need to make another move to clear the room for draft picks. A Gilmore extension could do it, as could releasing Urbik, both of which would prevent them from having to kick the can on the contracts for Clay and Dareus.

Indeed...we're on the same page.

I based Richie's numbers loosely on the Clint Boilng deal. I figure they're about even considering that Boling is 6 years younger, but that Richie is coming off of the best year either of them has had as a pro.

If Boling got $5.2M per, Richie should come back for $4.5M per IMO.

I've felt for a long time that Glenn would ask for $9M/year, but before Grigson hosed the market I figured you could get him to take $8M. Not anymore.

Just for fun, I went and played with the Spotrac roster tool again, and gave Glenn the same contract as Castonzo and Richie the same contract as Boling. I also released Mario, Kyle, Lawson, Easley, Dixon, Graham (in this case I assumed Williams is the guy that comes back--I don't think they'll both return, though if Graham stays and Williams goes, it's a bigger cap savings), and gave Leodis a 50% pay cut. Doing this, you can still add the following pieces that you and I discussed:

Sanu (for Cecil Shorts money)

Either Rey or McClain at ILB (for David Hawthorne money)

A NT like Harrison or Knighton (for Brandon Mebane money)

Pace or Upshaw at OLB (for the same as Pace's final year money in NJ)

That leaves about $3.5M left in space, so you'd need to make another move to clear the room for draft picks. A Gilmore extension could do it, as could releasing Urbik, both of which would prevent them from having to kick the can on the contracts for Clay and Dareus.

If we could add Sanu, Harrison and Pace or Upshaw this offseason whilst being able to keep Glenn, Cog and extend Gilmore that would be one hell of an achievement. I would be back in kool aid drinking mode I think. I don't see them looking to FA for an ILB though... I think that will be where they go in round 1 of the draft.

If we could add Sanu, Harrison and Pace or Upshaw this offseason whilst being able to keep Glenn, Cog and extend Gilmore that would be one hell of an achievement. I would be back in kool aid drinking mode I think. I don't see them looking to FA for an ILB though... I think that will be where they go in round 1 of the draft.

Any of them would be great, but I wouldn't get too excited about adding any 1st tier UFAs as OBD has already indicated that they'll focus on keeping what they have in house, Glenn, Incognito, etc. At the season ending presser, Whaley told the assembled media to go on vacation in the initial high dollar frenzy of Free Agency.

My guesses:

Glenn - 4 years, $38 million, with a 5th year option at $12 million ($25 million guaranteed)

Incognito - 2 years, $10 million, with a 3rd year option at $7 million ($8 million guaranteed)

Gilmore - not re-signed - paid huge contract in FA