A big factor in playoff famine. Brady.

Granted, we have not been a good team for a long time, but every year we have to face Tom Brady twice. His record in the East is incredible. Had we been in any other division, I think we would have broken that string years ago. Nearly every year we've started the season 0-2.

A poster earlier this year suggested this...

I don't believe in this excuse. Each team is beatable and has been beaten. Every team plays elite talent twice a year, it just might not be the pats.

This franchise won't be great again until we can stop fearing the Patriots and having confidence in our team

Granted, we have not been a good team for a long time, but every year we have to face Tom Brady twice. His record in the East is incredible. Had we been in any other division, I think we would have broken that string years ago. Nearly every year we've started the season 0-2.

Tom Brady had nothing to do with our losses against the Jaguars, Eagles, Chiefs and Giants. We faced a very weakened NFL division. We still lost to the Eagles, Redskins and the Giants. Our failure was due to our failure.

Edited by JohnC

What Tom Brady does is decrease our margin for error.

It's not an excuse, but the odds are that the Pats are going to beat the Bills. Their coaching and their quarterbacking are superior, and then Gronk is just like a nuclear bomb to the opposing defense when he's on and healthy. That means that the Bills can afford fewer other losses, and it also means that they are usually fighting for a wild card, never the division, where another team can possibly win its division at 9-7 or even worse over the past several years.

Yes, but consider that the Jets and Dolphins each tend to split with the Patriots most years, whereas the Bills do not.

Brady's record at Sun Life stadium is actually a losing record, IIRC.

Edited by LA Grant

Amazing how 1 guy can beat 22. Give Brady a JV team and he is nothing. It's not Brady. It's everyone else around him including his ownership and coach. Is Brady a top 10 all-time great? yes. But he is just one man. For those that don't believe me wait for the next QB Belichick replaces Brady with. He will magically best us 90% of the time and our fans will have a new excuse.

A poster earlier this year suggested this...

I don't believe in this excuse. Each team is beatable and has been beaten. Every team plays elite talent twice a year, it just might not be the pats.

This franchise won't be great again until we can stop fearing the Patriots and having confidence in our team

I don't think it's an excuse...I believe it to be reality. We are consistently playing for 1 or 2 wildcard spots. The Patriots very rarely have a bad year. In the end the Bills will just have to stand up and beat them plain and simple.

I think that Brady will win just about every game if he has serviceable receivers and a decent runner or two. I just read that he's 65-18 vs the AFC East since 2001. (25-2 vs. Buffalo, 40-16 against the Jets and Phins) That's domination. The Jets have had a couple decent years, and the Dolphins are almost always overrated.

I do think we'll get him at least once next year. We keep beating the Dolphins and the Jets, and I think we're improving. Once Rex gets his act together and hires a new DC, we'll be solid again.

Of course, it's the biggest factor. Obviously, we've sucked. But with Brady in there it's almost always been wildcard or bust. No years in our division where you can randomly make it as a division winner with 9, 8, or even 7 (on a rare occasion) wins.

I agree. I think they should play everyone in Conference once, no more divisions. A 15 game season, then have a better playoff format, teams are seeded according to record. Playoffs are more money for the machine, anyways. Then it is best on best for the Super Bowl. Marsha would not have done so well in the North or the West this year. Our division is tough but we had two of the weakest divisions padding our schedule this year. Sorry. Marsha doesn't get to the big dance this year either. Wade's D will destroy that patchwork o-line, if the Steeler's don't do it first.

Edited by iinii