This is Insane - Tyrod's stats vs Bills QB since Kelly

So it's a slow day at work..lol

I decided to see where TT's 2015 numbers rank compared to other Bills QB's over the years.

In 14 games in 2015, TT had:

3.33 TD/INT ratio

7.99 avg yds/attempt

67.8 QBR

63.7% completion %

Going through every QB to play at least 14 games for the Bills in one season, you have to go back to Jim Kelly's 1990 season to even get close to matching all those numbers.

in 1990, Jim Kelly coincidentally also played in 14 games, and he had:

2.66 TD/INT ratio (Tyrod even had more attempts than Jim Kelly that season..TT had 380attempts in 2015 and Kelly had 346)

8.18 avg yds/attempt

*no QBR back then*

63.3% completion %

***The reason I used Kelly's 1990 season and not his 1991 season is b/c in 1990 his TD/INT ratio was much better despite Kelly throwing more TD's in 1991 and also b/c Kelly's avg yds/attempt were slightly better***

I guess this shows how many bad QB's we've had over the years...but when you look at the numbers, TT had a better statistical season this year than any of Flutie's years...or Bledsoe's years...and even many of Kelly's years (from 1986-1989)..and of course the game has changed a lot since Kelly...but it's still crazy.

Only 1 QB since Kelly had numbers in any one of those categories that exceeded TT's this season and that was Trent Edwards in 2008 with a 65.5 completion %.

:w00t:

Edited by bobobonators

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty worthless to compare stats from other eras. Jim Kelly never had a 4,000 yard season. Matt Stafford has multiple 5,000 ones.

Also saw this stat. There were 3 Qbs in 1991 with a qb rating of 90 or higher. There were 22 this year.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Jim was a great leader. I'd like to see Tyrod step up and claim a leadership position with the team. Get a public speaking coach. Tyrod is quietly having a good year but I'd like to see him do it not so quietly. It's his team now. We need more leadership on this team and the players need to hold each other accountable

It's pretty worthless to compare stats from other eras. Jim Kelly never had a 4,000 yard season. Matt Stafford has multiple 5,000 ones.

Well, I did say that...but the whole point is that I even had to go back to Jim Kelly.

Also, completion % is still relevant...also yds/attempt...maybe not total yards b/c teams pass more today. Also, TD/INT ratio is still somewhat relevant.

This.

The game has changed completely since Kelly or even Bledsoe's eras. The only valid comparison is to other active QBs.

Well, I did say that...but the whole point is that I even had to go back to Jim Kelly.

Also, completion % is still relevant...also yds/attempt...maybe not total yards b/c teams pass more today. Also, TD/INT ratio is still somewhat relevant.

Agree on td/ int. That is far and away his best stat.

But the rules make it far easier to complete passes.

This.

The game has changed completely since Kelly or even Bledsoe's eras. The only valid comparison is to other active QBs.

Ok..well I did the first part...

Someone else tell me where TT ranks in yards/attempt; completion %; QBR; and TD/INT ratio among "active QBs"...b/c I don't have the time..lmao.

Also saw this stat. There were 3 Qbs in 1991 with a qb rating of 90 or higher. There were 22 this year.

I agree!

I love watching Tyrod and hope he develops well this upcoming year. That said how many 300 yard games has he had? How many times has he won games in which he threw over 30 times in a single game?

Still Taylor did throw for 3035 yards with 20 TD's vs 6 INT's in his first year starting. He has a ways to go before he gets anyway near Jim Kelly status.

Edited by Nihilarian

This.

TT was #5 in YPA, #7 in passer rating, #12 in TD%, #5 in INT%, #16 in completion %.

Combined with his running and scrambling, it's a pretty damn good year,

TT was #5 in YPA, #7 in passer rating, #12 in TD%, #5 in INT%, #16 in completion %.

Yes it was; I thought he was one of the nice surprises this year. But the stats can still be misleading, he's obviously not a top 10 QB yet. Hopefully his development will continue next year.

Marino had 6 of his first 11 seasons over 4000 yards (plus one at 3997). Moon had a stretch of 4/6 seasons over 4000. Hell, Jim Everett had three seasons in a row of 3964, 4310, 3989.

Kelly never cracked 4000 because, even compared to his contemporaries, he hardly threw the ball...never cracked 500 attempts per year.

Stafford has only one 5000 season. He came close another time. In those two seasons he threw 663 and 727 passes.

It's not easier to pass---if you want to chalk up a lot of passing yards, you have to throw more passes. This has not changed in the years since Kelly played. Nor has the YPA really...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Awesome. Thanks!

And i understand how comparing different eras can be difficult. The point of the thread was not really to compare TT to Kelly but rather that i had to go back all the way to Kelly to find a Bills QB with comparable numbers.

Even Bledsoe, a more recent QB, did not eclipse TT in any of those categories.

Marino had 6 of his first 11 seasons over 4000 yards (plus one at 3997). Moon had a stretch of 4/6 seasons over 4000. Hell, Jim Everett had three seasons in a row of 3964, 4310, 3989.

Kelly never cracked 4000 because, even compared to his contemporaries, he hardly threw the ball...never cracked 500 attempts per year.

Stafford has only one 5000 season. He came close another time. In those two seasons he threw 663 and 727 passes.

It's not easier to pass---if you want to chalk up a lot of passing yards, you have to throw more passes. This has not changed in the years since Kelly played. Nor has the YPA really...

You are seriously arguing it's not easier to pass now?

There was 1 4,000 yard passer in 1991. The guy who finished 2nd in 1991 would have finished 14th this year.

There are more attempts because it's easier to pass now.

Awesome. Thanks!

And i understand how comparing different eras can be difficult. The point of the thread was not really to compare TT to Kelly but rather that i had to go back all the way to Kelly to find a Bills QB with comparable numbers.

Even Bledsoe, a more recent QB, did not eclipse TT in any of those categories.

I apologize if I sidetracked it. I think Taylor had a very solid season. His td to int ratio was outstanding.

Personally, I think our offense had too many lags and we only averaged 22 points. I am hopeful that Taylor can take the next step. I think certain stats are a bit flawed however. Jmo though.

There was 1 4,000 yard passer in 1991. The guy who finished 2nd in 1991 would have finished 14th this year.

I apologize if I sidetracked it. I think Taylor had a very solid season. His td to int ratio was outstanding.

Personally, I think our offense had too many lags and we only averaged 22 points. I am hopeful that Taylor can take the next step. I think certain stats are a bit flawed however. Jmo though.

Guys were throwing more than 600 times a year back then as well. The offensive philosophy was different back then. It has changed--natural progression of the game, beginning in college. These "rule changes" (no contact beyond 5 yards?) aren't what did it.

I'm sure Kelly would been over 4000 every year if he had a different OC/HC...say Don Coryell for instance.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I think it's easier to pass because of the rules but WEO makes a good point.

in 2015, the top YPA passer was 8.7 and the #10 in the league was 7.6

in 2014, the top YPA passer was 8.5 and the #10 in the league was 7.5

in 2005, the top YPA passer was 8.9 and the #10 in the league was 7.3

in 1995, the top YPA passer was 8.2 and the #10 in the league was 7.2

in 1985, the top YPA passer was 8.5 and the #10 in the league was 7.3

Seems pretty much the same.

Edited by Kelly the Dog