Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I am assuming that Whaley had, or should have had some say on the issue. The new Ryan is employed and paid by the Bills. Whaley is the General Manager.

It seems trendy, W/L records notwithstanding, to absolve Whaley for any and all blame for this mess over which he presides, but doing so does not necessarily equate to accuracy.

I am pretty sure you are wrong on this Bill. I am trying to find the quote but I am pretty sure Russ Brandon was clear when listing responsibilities at the Rex Ryan "we're going" press conference that Rex had total control over his staff reporting only to the Pegulas on that issue. Whaley has no control over coaching staff hires in this Bills structure.

EDIT: Found it -

"VC: Can you give us a sense of how this is going to work now: The reporting situation with the four of you there?"

RB: We can answer your question so we can put this to bed also: when it comes to the fifty-three and player personnel, that’s under the purview of Doug Whaley, the game-day roster and the coaching staff is obviously Coach Ryan and I will have business ops and administration ops and football administration budgets."

Edited by GunnerBill

I am pretty sure you are wrong on this Bill. I am trying to find the quote but I am pretty sure Russ Brandon was clear when listing responsibilities at the Rex Ryan "we're going" press conference that Rex had total control over his staff reporting only to the Pegulas on that issue. Whaley has no control over coaching staff hires in this Bills structure.

"VC: Can you give us a sense of how this is going to work now: The reporting situation with the four of you there?"

RB: We can answer your question so we can put this to bed also: when it comes to the fifty-three and player personnel, that’s under the purview of Doug Whaley, the game-day roster and the coaching staff is obviously Coach Ryan and I will have business ops and administration ops and football administration budgets."

Nice find Guns.

Football administration is not football ops. I wonder if that last sentence will silence the RB truthers... nah.

Sadly, the above is a great summary. Whaley's first move since the extension sure was a smash!

GMs don't hire assistant coaches, HCs do.

No. I am assuming that Whaley had, or should have had some say on the issue. The new Ryan is employed and paid by the Bills. Whaley is the General Manager.

It seems trendy, W/L records notwithstanding, to absolve Whaley for any and all blame for this mess over which he presides, but doing so does not necessarily equate to accuracy.

We have no idea what happened behind the scenes. Whaley could either be on board, or believe that it is not his job to tell Ryan who his coaches should be any more than he believes Ryan should tell him who to sign or not. Chances are good that they discussed it like normal people would and things were said like what are his responsibilities going to be, are we sure this is a good idea, how will you handle being above Rob, etc.

GMs don't hire assistant coaches, HCs do.

We have no idea what happened behind the scenes. Whaley could either be on board, or believe that it is not his job to tell Ryan who his coaches should be any more than he believes Ryan should tell him who to sign or not. Chances are good that they discussed it like normal people would and things were said like what are his responsibilities going to be, are we sure this is a good idea, how will you handle being above Rob, etc.

How much do you think Whaley is sweating knowing he's tied to Rex?

RB: We can answer your question so we can put this to bed also: when it comes to the fifty-three and player personnel, thats under the purview of Doug Whaley, the game-day roster and the coaching staff is obviously Coach Ryan and I will have business ops and administration ops and football administration budgets."

Clear as day

I can't tell if this a sarcastic Q.

Whaley is not tied to Rex... so that isn't making him sweat.

Whaley just got a new contract... so that isn't making him sweat.

And it's 18 degrees out with gusts up to 33 mph... so that isn't making him sweat.

I have to say I think the Pegulas have tied him to Rex and if he really didn't like the hire and didn't say so at the time then he has made his own bed.

How much is he sweating? It really depends on what their relationship is really like. If there is discord as some have reported then I suspect he is sweating that he might go down on the back of Rex's failure. If, however, they are united as they assure us they are then I suspect he thinks "back to back non-losing seasons - we can still build on this and be good next year."

I can't tell if this a sarcastic Q.

Whaley is not tied to Rex... so that isn't making him sweat.

Whaley just got a new contract... so that isn't making him sweat.

And it's 18 degrees out with gusts up to 33 mph... so that isn't making him sweat.

Still.....while Whaley's contract might not be tied to RR......he is on the hook now for supplying players that fit RR's defense

and that job began yesterday

Anything worse than the 2015 record should be viewed as wheel spinning.

agreed!

There are certainly "different kinds" of 8-8s.

I think we are past that though.

adapt and overcome whatever hurdles and obstacle stand in the way of success