Chris Mortenson NFL Insider

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to point out - uncritically - that you're conditioned by your experience with your uncle to a bias towards medication side effects.

For all we know, the poster accusing Mort of having an alcohol problem is conditioned by experience to think of that first.

In other words...no one knows. Speculating on it is a waste. Just let it go.

I still prefer the speculation based on kindness to the speculation based on cruelty.

Humans have flaws.

I'm sure we all wish him the best in his fight.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Despite how much I dislike poor grammar and spelling, this isn't quite the thread to feel the need to correct someone.

Does anyone remember what stage Jim's was? I don't remember it being 4, but I just don't remember a number designation.

Its DC tom! MY comment has Nothing to do with the very real considerations. you did read my previous post dint you?

It's stage 4. He's been battling this for some time. Each stage generally is followed by a remission, then onset again in a more advanced stage.

You are completely wrong with this statement and clearly have no clue about Cancer stages.

Remission has absolutely nothing to do with staging...ZERO!

Cancer Sucks!

Edited by Max997

Laughable. Cures don't make money. Treatment for life does. Is it not strange that these so called "treatments" almost always result in the cancer returning at some point, typically worse than before?

The "cure" starts with what you put in your body everyday and what you do with your body everyday(diet and exercise). There is no way to eliminate cancer, all people have cancerous cells in their body, but they are typically handled by the immune system...

First, I hope that Mort is able to receive a treatment that will send this cancer into remission and the best to his family in friends in dealing with this difficult situation.

Now I would like to provide some feedback to your post. I work in Pharma R&D Vaccines & Oncology and our objective is to find cures. I have never seen suppression of research because it was a cure and not a treatment. I think you will actually see more 'cures' for cancer and other diseases developing like the recent Hep C treatments, Certainly those are expensive but it is being demonstrated that these treatments, which will eradicate the disease, are less expensive than the ongoing cost of clinical, surgical, and palliative care that would be alternatively provided.

You make a valid point about staying healthy to assist in preventing cancer. But that is a good suggestion for inhibiting many maladies such as Type II diabetes, stroke, hypertension, etc. Though immunosuppression may have some type of involvement in catalyzing cancer, there may also be contributing factors from the environment and genetics among others. Some proposed treatments involve combination therapies for these factors. What is becoming increasingly evident is the mutation of cancer cells. In this case, the traditional treatment approaches become ineffective.

it is becoming more apparent that personalized precision medicines (i.e., genes, proteins, etc.) are undergoing development as potentially more effective treatments. Newer targeted therapies based on your genome and/or the cancer genome are emerging, Lots of people working long hours trying to provide better treatments or cures for cancer,

And Dr. Z? I know he quit writing because of a stroke. But haven't heard any updates.

'Dr. Z' (Paul Zimmerman) suffered a series of strokes which left him with a condition called aphasia. His brain works fine but he's unable to communicate with others and can't read or write. Very sad. This piece was done about 3 years ago. Godspeed, Mort.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/0ap2000000284904/NFL-Films-Presents-Yours-truly-Dr-Z

I'd like to point out - uncritically - that you're conditioned by your experience with your uncle to a bias towards medication side effects.

For all we know, the poster accusing Mort of having an alcohol problem is conditioned by experience to think of that first.

In other words...no one knows. Speculating on it is a waste. Just let it go.

Tom - Fundamentally, your point is exactly what I was trying to say in that there are multiple reasons why someone can display these characteristics. I am not biased by his ALS, nor the hundreds of cancer patients I've beean around as I've worked in medical devices, and biotech for 20 years. My background is in surgery with patients needing assistance in various conditions.

It is possible a person could have an alcohol problem, but it is also possible, with a cancer patient, actually probable there is another etiology. Anyway, Tom you are correct it is silly to speculate, and all that matters is for his family's sake, Mort recovers.

In these posts i learn more about you folks each day.

and that is a good thing!

All walks of life reside here abouts.

from the common Man like me, to folks like Mr Info and others who can offer so much more detailed knowledge.

signed

a thankful poster

and yes

as many of us know intimately

Cancer sucks

Have the medical records been posted? Probably not which means somebody is not doing their job.

My sympathy for reporters' medical issues went out when they started using 'inside' information to post medical information which is was released by person with direct access would be illegal. This is not like an insider posting corruption hidden by corporations or government but more similar to paparazzi stalking.

Now the his doctors get to be the insider.