2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

Noah Spence is looking pretty tempting right now.

Just watched a bunch of Nkemdiche games on DraftBreakdown and I still don't see this phenom 1st round player. He's like a plus version of Rakeem Nunez-Roches who was a 6th rounder last year.

Undersized 1-gap 3-Tech with a great first step and hit/miss after that. Inconsistent motor, has power in his hands but can't use it enough to be dominant, lateral movement is laboured. Little in the way of counter moves. Before you include the off-field stuff, the dude is still just recruiting hype.

I don't see the hype around this kid. He had such a mediocre and forgettable college career. I'm sure a team will fall in love with his physical abilities and think they can coach him up. I think taking him in the 1st will lead to disappointment.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love a compensatory pick. I'd feel a little more secure about drafting a kicker with more picks.

I think this is a draft where I'd probably give up a 1st rounder for another 3 picks in the 40-75 range.

Yes, either our RD1 or RD2 for more picks. Let Whaley's scouts bring in more mid-round gems. Darby was an amazing success story, and Karlos will be. Jury is still out on the others.

i think he will be gone in top 10. Unless he does something off field. I don't expect that though.

Sheldon Rankins vs Nkemdiche??? Who should we draft if we lose out on jaylon smith and Ragland in the 1st round? Also like Reed but I bet hes gone before pick 19

Just watched a bit of Mississippi State's Chris Jones. If he ever develops a consistent motor, that boy could be special.

Used everywhere from 0 to 7 Technique, shows glimpses of being able to 2-gap, can shed defenders in the run game. Got some lateral movement skills, good burst. Just gets a bit lazy with both effort and technique at times. Definitely has the skill set to play both base and sub packages. Every defensive line coach should be banging the table for this kid.

Would happily take him in the 2nd.

Just watched a bit of Mississippi State's Chris Jones. If he ever develops a consistent motor, that boy could be special.

Used everywhere from 0 to 7 Technique, shows glimpses of being able to 2-gap, can shed defenders in the run game. Got some lateral movement skills, good burst. Just gets a bit lazy with both effort and technique at times. Definitely has the skill set to play both base and sub packages. Every defensive line coach should be banging the table for this kid.

Would happily take him in the 2nd.

"Jones has great appeal for several reasons. He has ability as a DE and DT, and Rex adores the unpredictability of versatility. In addition, Jones has an infectious personality (imagine Dareus and Jones hitting it off) with stats to match; 32 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss, 3 sacks, and 3 passes broken up this year. He logged those stats despite frequent double-teams, which will be impossible with the Bills' D-Line. I have it on good authority that Bills scouts have been in attendance at Mississippi State games. " -Me

Sheldon Rankins vs Nkemdiche??? Who should we draft if we lose out on jaylon smith and Ragland in the 1st round? Also like Reed but I bet hes gone before pick 19

Sheldon Rankins. In every game I watched, if he wasn't double-teamed, then he was in the backfield. He's technically sound and very disruptive. He'd be a great addition to the DL.

I like him as much as I liked Danny Shelton last year.

Sheldon Rankins. In every game I watched, if he wasn't double-teamed, then he was in the backfield. He's technically sound and very disruptive. He'd be a great addition to the DL.

I like him as much as I liked Danny Shelton last year.

Watching him at the moment. The guy is just relentless, gives the OL something to account for on every snap.

A&M triple teamed him on one snap. They were all trying to keep him at bay and someone else gets a strip-sack. Domination can turn to facilitation with the right guy, Rankins seems to be the type that buys in on the team being successful.

"Jones has great appeal for several reasons. He has ability as a DE and DT, and Rex adores the unpredictability of versatility. In addition, Jones has an infectious personality (imagine Dareus and Jones hitting it off) with stats to match; 32 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss, 3 sacks, and 3 passes broken up this year. He logged those stats despite frequent double-teams, which will be impossible with the Bills' D-Line. I have it on good authority that Bills scouts have been in attendance at Mississippi State games. " -Me

@connorjrogers

Yet another DL prospect finding his way into my top 50: Chris Jones Miss State....flashes Mo Wilk traits at times - great athlete

Watching him at the moment. The guy is just relentless, gives the OL something to account for on every snap.

A&M triple teamed him on one snap. They were all trying to keep him at bay and someone else gets a strip-sack. Domination can turn to facilitation with the right guy, Rankins seems to be the type that buys in on the team being successful.

Yes please to Rankins! They play a 3-man front, and he's one of the best run defenders among the DTs.

Yes please to Rankins! They play a 3-man front, and he's one of the best run defenders among the DTs.

I've only got one concern with him and that's a lack of counters once he gets tied up. It's a pretty minor thing and coachable, just trying to find a flaw in his game. Not an easy task.

Scheme-versatile, solid first round grade.

@connorjrogers

Yet another DL prospect finding his way into my top 50: Chris Jones Miss State....flashes Mo Wilk traits at times - great athlete

I don't have him at 50, but could see RD3#80...I think they'll look for a stouter NT rather than a DT43, allowing Dareus to slide out to DE34.

I have decided that Vernon Butler is my new guy that I want to like but I don't. Last year, it was Carl Davis.

So many times he's there to make a play but he doesn't. Athletically, he's just a touch below what I like. He can get a bit lazy, there's also a temper there that he needs to control. Not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination, just don't see the 1st rounder some rave about.

I've been bullish about DJ Reader being an NFL-caliber NT, and I'm not backing down from it.

He looks like a 2-gapping player that can take 40 snaps a game and let Dareus and Bryant play the 4i/5 spots.

His game against Alabama:

me too. DJ is who I want playing NT for the Bills next year

Hey Bandit- what would you think if the Bills selected Billings in the first? I myself am ok with that

Hey Bandit- what would you think if the Bills selected Billings in the first? I myself am ok with that

I haven't watched a ton of Billings, but I know he's a bajillion levels of strong and has youth on his side.

I'll have to digest a few games and get back to you...I'll put it on my list.

Lawrence Thomas from Michigan State is a whole lot of fun. Former linebacker, moved to fullback, converted to DT, then DE and then played a hybrid DE/DT role.

Reckons he can run sub-4.8 at 281 pounds. Could play anywhere across a 3-4 DL with a year to add 10-15 pounds, can play NT at that weight. Not a pass rusher at all, just a rotational 'run downs' guy.

Off your comment here but your always on top of the draft gems and practices, etc. so do you think Rankins will be available at pick 19 for us?

I see a run stuffing NT, not a sack machine. hopefully a good 4th or 5th round pick up. Love his nose for the run stuff from that video, whats his projected round and pick?