Boobie Dixon's unsportsmanlike penalty

PromoTheRobot

The play and penalty itself didn't matter overall in the game, but I think it's a real indicator of what is wrong with the Bills, and ultimately wrong with Rex.

You have a team that has a problem with penalties all season, yet Boobie decides to flap his gums at an Eagles player anyway and get a flag. If it weren't for an offsetting foul, the penalty would have nullified a good special teams play. But it did nullify a chance to move the Eagles back even further.

It boggles my mind that a professional football player behaves like this, selfishly feeling he had to talk smack after a play. It only took Jerry Hughes half the season to reign in that behavior.

When Rex announced his pushups-for-penalties policy, it struck me as something a high school coach does. And funny how it went away after one week. How is this even an issue on an NFL team half way into a season?

This is a terrible look for Rex. He runs a lax ship. He's probably too loyal to flunky coaches. His antics only magnify after losses. (How did Rob Ryan's input look?) And he took a talented defense and made then mediocre. (To me scheme fit is a BS excuse since Pettine ran his scheme two years ago.)

For all the hand wringing over the players, I think the problems start with Rex.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone please !@#$ing explain precisely what a coach is supposed to do?

these men have been playing football for decades.

the rules didn't suddenly change when they entered the pros.

yes, they took 15 !@#$ing penalties yesterday. And yet, a fluke play on a second and 26 (that nobody is talking about enough) and a blatant pick to set up the go-ahead FG was the difference

15 penalties and the game was there to be won.

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

and defensive players do things to change games.

riddle me this: when was the last time a defender changed the game in a positive way for the bills?

coaching? !@#$ no. there is no leadership among the players.

stop. blaming. the coaches.

yes, they took 15 !@#$ing penalties yesterday. And yet, a fluke play on a second and 26 (that nobody is talking about enough) and a blatant pick to set up the go-ahead FG was the difference

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

riddle me this: when was the last time a defender changed the game in a positive way for the bills?

They werent doing this stuff previously. How many taunting penalties did Boobie have last year? Or through his entire career? He KNOWS better, so why did he do it? Why does he think he can get away with it? Why isnt his head in the game?

The answer to all of those questions is: the tone that is set for the team by the HC.

Maybe because Rambo is assigned to rush the passer while Mario covers a WR?

1. On what percentage of plays does this happen? We know the answer to this, less than 5%, making it a non-issue.
  2. Why does Mario get a free pass from doing his job? Nobody wants to address this.
  3. How about the other nine guys on defense? That would expose your brand on distilled, over simplified non-analysis for what it really is.
  4. Was Mario guarding the wide receiver that got behind the CB and S for a long TD on 2nd and 26? No, he wasn't. And on the whole, the defense played very well yesterday, but let's not let that get in they of screaming about thigns that didn't happen.

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

Start making examples out of players who do it. The time to cut Bobby Shaw was six weeks ago.

They werent doing this stuff previously. How many taunting penalties did Boobie have last year? Or through his entire career? He KNOWS better, so why did he do it? Why does he think he can get away with it? Why isnt his head in the game?

The answer to all of those questions is: the tone that is set for the team by the HC.

THIS!! Rex sets the tone. He wants to be a players coach? Everybody's buddy? This is the result.

Oh please. So what kind of tone did the two Super Bowl HC's set last year when their teams lead the league in penalties?

At the same time, I think it's another penalty that's called inconsistently. I see players yapping back and forth all the time and not get called.

Is Boobie really saying something vulgar? Is he just the victim of refs choosing when they want to call a penalty?

It's hard to trust anything anymore in regards to penalties. Technically, Boobie is still wrong, and I'm not giving him a pass. This team needs to be on the straight and narrow. But, the refs are so inconsistent, anyway.

THIS!! Rex sets the tone. He wants to be a players coach? Everybody's buddy? This is the result.

This "tone" logic is inconceivable. It truly is. You guys are grasping at straws. We didn't lose yesterday because of a "tone." We didn't lose in KC because of a "tone." We didn't drop the second NE game because of "tone." We didn't lose in London because of "tone."

This is complete and utter gotta-blame-someone horse ****.

PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS

Still waiting to hear someone tell me about the time (other than Hughes' strip sack against the woeful Dolphins) somebody from this "super talented" defense went ahead and changed the game this year.

At the same time, I think it's another penalty that's called inconsistently. I see players yapping back and forth all the time and not get called.

Is Boobie really saying something vulgar? Is he just the victim of refs choosing when they want to call a penalty?

It's hard to trust anything anymore in regards to penalties. Technically, Boobie is still wrong, and I'm not giving him a pass. This team needs to be on the straight and narrow. But, the refs are so inconsistent, anyway.

The pick that set up the go ahead FG was inconceivable. The fact that the ref standing 18 inches from Sammy on his long TD called him out of bounds is simply inexcusable.

Oh please. So what kind of tone did the two Super Bowl HC's set last year when their teams lead the league in penalties?

There are penalties from play, like holding, PI, facemask, etc. Then there are penalties from mental errors, outsides, falls starts, etc.

Then there are needless, selfish penalties like late hits and trash talking. The Bills must be leading the lead in those.

He got the penalty for doing a dance... over his opponent. If he just did the dance it wouldnt have been a big deal.

There are penalties from play, like holding, PI, facemask, etc. Then there are penalties from mental errors, outsides, falls starts, etc.

Then there are needless, selfish penalties like late hits and trash talking. The Bills must be leading the lead in those.

The 5 defensive offsides penalties is just awful. All dlinemen jumping on hard counts - just watch the friggin ball!

I actually saw mario make a play on a running back when we blitzed up the middle... soooo it can work if he is willing to hustle at all.

That's a big "if."

It'll be major addition by subtraction in 2016 when he's gone.

You want to talk about somebody on this Bills team setting a "tone." How about Mr. Gotta Have My Own Mini Fridge I'll Play When I Wanna Check Out My Hundo Million Mario Willams?

So !@#$ing what?

Those penalties aren't costing them games.

This "tone" logic is inconceivable. It truly is. You guys are grasping at straws. We didn't lose yesterday because of a "tone." We didn't lose in KC because of a "tone." We didn't drop the second NE game because of "tone." We didn't lose in London because of "tone."

This is complete and utter gotta-blame-someone horse ****.

PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS

Still waiting to hear someone tell me about the time (other than Hughes' strip sack against the woeful Dolphins) somebody from this "super talented" defense went ahead and changed the game this year.

If you run a lose ship, how well do you make those plays? How does Bill Belichick grab street free agents and win while the a Bills lose with their starters? Discipline might be one reason.

stop blaming coaches.

players make plays.

punt returners fumble.

Serious question and not degrading- I ask this in the most respectful manner. Have you ever played football at a higher level, at least high school?

Your right.

Why have any coaches at all? Clearly Bill Belichick makes no difference at all to the Patriots success.

Oh here we go. Let's set the standard for coaching around the guy will be the undisputed GOAT when it's all said and done.

Why have coaches? How about I reverse your insipid logic: why have players? Why don't we just build robots that all have the same skill and motivation levels and watch middle aged men devise weekly schemes.