I haven't started a thread in forever. Here goes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely disagree. Tyrod has not impressed me at all. I mean, I guess because our bar is so low over the past 20 years that Tyrod by default is playing slightly better than typical Bills football but I absolutely do not see him as some sort of magical solution.

I would love for him to prove me wrong - but in the Giants, Patriots, Chiefs and now Eagles game he had the ball in the 4th and did nothing. I'm not a fan of complacency and I don't know how many excuses you want to give him, he didn't get the job done, we missed the playoffs with a stacked offense and there's nothing in the offseason we can do to make me feel confident about our future moving forward with Tyrod.

The fact that we are discussing Alex Smith on this post tells me all I need to know. Our defense was the problem this year. It's always oversimplification to blame just one phase of the game, but our defense let us down. None of us expected to have All Pro QB play this season. Our defense led by the mastermind Rex Ryan was supposed to carry us. Tyrod was far from being All Pro, but he's been the best we've had in a while. That's all we could have hoped for. Instead we made Alex Smith look like a proficient down field passer.

Sorry but the biggest problem is rex ryan, THose other coaches actually are good, they just had low talent levels. Rex ryan is making a good team bumble its way down to an 8-8 record, his record is 500 for his career, his bravado will slowly kill this team as good players end up leaving when we hit rock bottom next year...or the year after that.

post-mortem report:

QB: Good at best. Probably average. Bad in spots. No depth at all.

Rex: Bad. Gets another year.

Defense: Bad. Now needs offseason work to expect anything better next year with Rex at the helm.

Offense: Needs a #2 WR...hopefully a big guy. Some OL depth.

Special Teams: Kicking game sucked.

It's all a Rex/Tyrod dynamic. I think it's a better mix than we typically have but not one that will inevitably make and win in the playoffs.

Okay, here we are again. 16 years. Here's the good news: the Bills appear to have a QB. That's kind of an important thing. More good news: this is not a Dick Jauron team that overachieved and somehow bumbled its way to 7-9. This is a team that actually has a lot of good football players on its roster. What they HAVE to do is go Ron Rivera/Panthers style and see this regime through. No one is hiring Greg Roman as their head coach. They need to bring everyone (save for Crossman- let him be the fall guy, deservedly so) back and give it another two goes minimum. ABSOLUTELY bring Whaley back.

If I could select one adjective to use to describe this team it would be UNREFINED. Sammy Watkins is unrefined. He's talented but he needs to tighten his game up. They are undisciplined with respect to the penalties, their special teams, etc. Their field goal kicker is shaky. They do all the little things wrong that a team like the Kansas City Chiefs does right. Does anyone think this team can't be as good as the Kansas City Chiefs next year? Hell, does anyone think if this team made the playoffs this year that they couldn't beat anyone- save for the Patriots with a healthy Gronkowski- on their best day? They're not that far away. They just need to tighten things up. And that comes with familiarity and repetition, period.

And for everyone who thinks Rex Ryan sucks, I can assure you that Panthers fans thought the same of Ron Rivera, that Bengals fans have thought the same of Marvin Lewis for over a decade, etc., etc. What doesn't work is the Browns model of recycling coaches and starting from scratch every two years. You gotta see this thing through folks. They need to go front seven in the first round- preferably a monster linebacker from the Big Ten or something. And you know Ryan will.

As much as everyone wanted it to happen this year, this team has nothing to do with teams prior. This team, this regime is 0 for 1 and that's it. They have an owner who is playing with monopoly money and will tell his GM to spend whatever he wants. They're gonna be fine. Give Ryan a year to put together his own defense and let's see what happens. If we're having the same conversation a year from now, I'll be damned.

Rex Ryan had two great years in NYC in his first two and the rest of his tenure there was garbage. I think time is the exact opposite of what he needs. In fact, that makes it worse.

Great post. This board is full of knee-jerk reactionists. I wish people would calm down and give this team time to mature. Sometimes that means you don't go to the playoffs. Get over it.

Matures into a steaming pile of manure?

They are devolving

Edited by UBBullsfan

post-mortem report:

QB: Good at best. Probably average. Bad in spots. No depth at all.

Rex: Bad. Gets another year.

Defense: Bad. Now needs offseason work to expect anything better next year with Rex at the helm.

Offense: Needs a #2 WR...hopefully a big guy. Some OL depth.

Special Teams: Kicking game sucked.

It's all a Rex/Tyrod dynamic. I think it's a better mix than we typically have but not one that will inevitably make and win in the playoffs.

Special teams : has sucked in all aspects all season

Has Rivera been a successfull HC prior to this year?

Let's go to the tape: This will be his third straight year in the playoffs (out of his 5 years as head coach - this will be Rex's 5th straight not making the playoffs ). This is his second year with at least 12 wins in the regular season (something Rex has yet to achieve). Is Rivera a Lombardi or a Bellicheat? Not likely, but I'd sure take him over Ryan every time.

Look, I appear to like Taylor more than most. The bottom line is that Bills fans would have taken Taylor's production this year- and the entire offense's production for that matter- 100 times out of 100. Our defense kind of blows. Were they too decimated by injuries? Are Mario and Dareus suddenly not that good anymore? Was Kyle Williams a bigger loss than everyone thought? To a man, every last Bills fan said "hey worst case, our defense is top ten, if we can just get anything at all from our offense..." Well we got "anything at all" from our offense and then some. Believe me when I tell you that Rex Ryan is spending tis entire offseason figuring out a way to make sure his defense is elite again. And I think he can and will.

Rex took two middling teams led by Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. He OVERACHIEVED as the head coach of the Jets however you want to dice it. And this was not intended to be a pro-Rex Ryan thread. He absolutely underachieved this year. I'm just saying I want to see this thing through for a few years before I make up my mind on the guy.

Correct.

Why not Metz?.... I mean, let's make it an even twenty years for posterity's sake... :lol:

Whatever happens I'm looking forward to a better record than 6-7 at this point next season.

Looking at our weaknesses now we could use: a true do-it-all kicker, punt returner, and a difference maker at linebacker and younger depth on the Dline. A prototype possession jump ball WR in the mold of Demarious Thomas or Brandon Marshall.

That is offensive scheme...that is not on Tyrod....AND

Alex Smith is a bad comparison.....because TT is a deep ball big play guy and Alex Smith is a short game quick throw guy. The only real comparison between the two is they both take care of the ball.

Yeah, and the one time A.Smith takes successful deep shots is against a Bills defense giving him all the time to make those throws.

Is every thread going to turn into a "TT SUCKS" thread from now on?

Who would be better? Who are you going to get? How much time will the new guy get?

And when do the EJ fans come out of the woodwork to let us know that if EJ had been given just a few more chances, he would have turned the corner?

I was impressed by TT. He threw too many long balls that seemed to be throw aways, but without knowing the play call, I can't condemn him for that.

We also don't know what the coverage was on the shorter routes. There was one replay of a deep attempt on a 3rd and short that showed a receiver wide open over the middle.

Okay, here we are again. 16 years. Here's the good news: the Bills appear to have a QB. That's kind of an important thing. More good news: this is not a Dick Jauron team that overachieved and somehow bumbled its way to 7-9. This is a team that actually has a lot of good football players on its roster. What they HAVE to do is go Ron Rivera/Panthers style and see this regime through. No one is hiring Greg Roman as their head coach. They need to bring everyone (save for Crossman- let him be the fall guy, deservedly so) back and give it another two goes minimum. ABSOLUTELY bring Whaley back.

If I could select one adjective to use to describe this team it would be UNREFINED. Sammy Watkins is unrefined. He's talented but he needs to tighten his game up. They are undisciplined with respect to the penalties, their special teams, etc. Their field goal kicker is shaky. They do all the little things wrong that a team like the Kansas City Chiefs does right. Does anyone think this team can't be as good as the Kansas City Chiefs next year? Hell, does anyone think if this team made the playoffs this year that they couldn't beat anyone- save for the Patriots with a healthy Gronkowski- on their best day? They're not that far away. They just need to tighten things up. And that comes with familiarity and repetition, period.

And for everyone who thinks Rex Ryan sucks, I can assure you that Panthers fans thought the same of Ron Rivera, that Bengals fans have thought the same of Marvin Lewis for over a decade, etc., etc. What doesn't work is the Browns model of recycling coaches and starting from scratch every two years. You gotta see this thing through folks. They need to go front seven in the first round- preferably a monster linebacker from the Big Ten or something. And you know Ryan will.

As much as everyone wanted it to happen this year, this team has nothing to do with teams prior. This team, this regime is 0 for 1 and that's it. They have an owner who is playing with monopoly money and will tell his GM to spend whatever he wants. They're gonna be fine. Give Ryan a year to put together his own defense and let's see what happens. If we're having the same conversation a year from now, I'll be damned.

This makes just way too much sense for around here. Why people expect a new coach with a QB starting for the first time in his career to gel right away cannot be explained to me. Not to mention a crap ton of injuries all over the field. Not just starters, but valuable depth guys behind them as well. This leads to us starting guys straight off the street or from our practice squad. That, my friends, is not good. When you are dependent on a Defense to carry your developing offense and then you are missing your best Safety, a top level corner (whom I think is our best still), our best linebacker, our defensive leader and very effective Tackle it is going to sting, big time. Then we also lose Carrington, Powell, Wynn, Brooks, all backups who would have seen significant playing time...well, what you get is a 7-9 or 9-7 type season. You know how many guys the Eagles were missing yesterday? One starting LB, the other guys on IR are backups and everyone on their injury report played.

We are heading the right direction and we need to stay the course. Add some additional depth through the draft in LB and DLine especially, possibly a DB or two and on offense if we can grab another WR and some OL, we are well on our way.

Unfortunately, now is the time we will go on a 3 game winning streak and kill our draft position in typical Bills fashion.

Edited by Mark80

To me, our team with their lack of adjustments, penalties that never seem to end by the same players, and overall disappointment of this talented team, especially the defense screams for changes other than players, ie our coaching staff. Rex had proven with the Jets and now the Bills to not have a clue on how to manage a team and get them to consistently perform to their expectations. Things will only get worse if Rex gets more input into player personnel.

To me, our team with their lack of adjustments, penalties that never seem to end by the same players, and overall disappointment of this talented team, especially the defense screams for changes other than players, ie our coaching staff. Rex had proven with the Jets and now the Bills to not have a clue on how to manage a team and get them to consistently perform to their expectations. Things will only get worse if Rex gets more input into player personnel.

You do realize that Rex led the Jets to two consecutive AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez as his QB right? Each with 2 road wins in the playoffs to get there. If that's not getting a team to perform ABOVE expectations, then I don't know what is.

Edited by Mark80