Had enough with the Defense this year

They have been mediocre at best, and much of the time below average. Little pressure, few sacks and lack of big plays. The good news is they are not NO. But coming into this season they were being touted (rumblings at least) as one of the all time most dominant.

Even when they make a play I'm waiting for a yellow flag.

Sunday at home Houston put up over 400 yards and almost stole the game.

That being said what bothers me the most watching the Bills D (and many in the NFL) is how they react when they make a play. No one like Barry Sanders anymore "Act like you've been there"..... Every play they make they over react and fist pump and make a big deal about.

They did not play well and if not for a couple of big hits knocking the ball out and the last Houston drive they were mediocre in Ralph Wilson Stadium against a below average offense.

They have been mediocre at best, and much of the time below average. Little pressure, few sacks and lack of big plays. The good news is they are not NO. But coming into this season they were being touted (rumblings at least) as one of the all time most dominant.

That being said what bothers me the most watching the Bills D (and many in the NFL) is how they react when they make a play. No one like Barry Sanders anymore "Act like you've been there"..... Every play they make they over react and fist pump and make a big deal about.

They did not play well and if not for a couple of big hits knocking the ball out and the last Houston drive they were mediocre in Ralph Wilson Stadium against a below average offense.

...ok

I've read so many comments like....If Houston would have scored at the end.....Houston almost stole the game........none of those things happened.....game is over....Bills won.....big game Sunday...stop looking back

How about learning from it? I was making an observation that the D was not very good on Sunday. I expected much better this year.

Been very disappointed and they are the primary reason the Bills lost a # of games this year.

Hey - they rushed 4 all game like everyone wanted. They just never get any pressure, and he had all day to pick us apart. The linebackers can't cover anyone, and the safeties are mediocre.

When they stopped hoyer, they were blitzing and creating pressure causing errant throws. So its actually the Rex Ryan quirks of the defense that jump started the defense. Not the pin the ears back and rush 4 Jim Schwartz aspect of the defense.

Theory 1 is that Mario and kyle have hit the wall. Also, AW has been out all year. That's 1/4 of the D. Also, only shwartz made the D elite. With many of the same players Pettine had the D in the top 10 on paper but they were horrific against the run under Pettine. Wanny with a young Mario and kyle had many of the same players playing to a historically bad level, giving up over 1200 yards in two games at one point.

The defense has not been as dominant as expected this year, but they were absolutely tremendous in the late part of that game on Sunday. They have had stretches in games where they have been excellent and then there are stretches where they just cant stop anybody. It's frustrating, but I feel like, given another offseason in this defense and with Rex being able to switch out some pieces on the roster that don't fit well for what he wants to do, I think the defense could be great next year.

Same for the offense. We might be at the beginning of an exciting time for the Bills.

When we have attacked and blitzed we have had success. Indianapolis and the 2nd Patsie** games for example. I feel like I'm in the football Twilight Zone where we think we got an aggressive defensive coach who keeps playing coverage instead of coming after the QB.

Kurt Warner says you can get any QB off his game with pressure. We can get pressure when we want to but often, it seems, don't want to for some unknown reason.

Why can't resident geniusses such as Sal or Tim ask Rex about this at one of the press conferences?

The thing that really gets me about the D is how many 80+ yard drives we give up. Again, I think I'm in the Twilight Zone and Jauron is back with his bend don't break defense.

Edited by reddogblitz

The D is frustratingly weak against the run. Seems like anyone can burst up the middle for 10-20 yards several times a game. They are missing Kyle Williams, obviously, but it is more poor linebacker play than anything else that results in missed tackles on a regular basis. We need to address this next year in the draft and free agency. Meanwhile, the D is going to cost us the playoffs more than likely.

Didn't Ryan boast that he would turn a #4 D into a #1? Right now, i think they rank below #1, or rather, they ARE rank.

Mediocre is much better than the NFL's worst in all categories. Not excuse here, but when you play the better offenses in the league the stats tend to suck

Defense

Total (YPG) 20

Passing (YPG) 23

Rushing (YPG) 14

Interceptions T 9

Edited by NOVABillsFan

The D is frustratingly weak against the run. Seems like anyone can burst up the middle for 10-20 yards several times a game. They are missing Kyle Williams, obviously, but it is more poor linebacker play than anything else that results in missed tackles on a regular basis. We need to address this next year in the draft and free agency. Meanwhile, the D is going to cost us the playoffs more than likely.

Didn't Ryan boast that he would turn a #4 D into a #1? Right now, i think they rank below #1, or rather, they ARE rank.

Rushing (YPG) 14 th I wouldn't call that frustratingly weak against the run

Rushing (YPG) 14 th I wouldn't call that frustratingly weak against the run

I find them to be really inconsistent. They'll stop you for a loss here and there, but they'll give up 20 and 30 yard gashes here and there too.

Houstons backs are terrible, and we made them look - still pretty bad, but better than they are.

I find them to be really inconsistent. They'll stop you for a loss here and there, but they'll give up 20 and 30 yard gashes here and there too.

Houstons backs are terrible, and we made them look - still pretty bad, but better than they are.

Inconsistent will get you middle of the pack.

Yes and it's really frustrating when it seems they just give up at times missing tackles and giving up rus down the middle.

Yes they almost stole the game when they never led. The Bills are almost won AFC East division except for some bad referee calls. This is almost the same post you have posted before. This post almost makes sense.

"Almost" and "maybe" are words thrown in when results in reality are not matching writer's perceptions.

Houston came in Red Hot and Buffalo beat them despite a couple TD's that shouldnt have counted (pass interference, illegal motion) case of not knowing what to do after a win....ENJOY IT

Yes they almost stole the game when they never led. The Bills are almost won AFC East division except for some bad referee calls. This is almost the same post you have posted before. This post almost makes sense.

"Almost" and "maybe" are words thrown in when results in reality are not matching writer's perceptions.

And they are 6-6...... Let's have a parade. Doesn't it get old after a while? This has been pretty much the same old same old.... The pre-season issues was all about could the offense do enough as the Bills had a #1 defense.

The defense has won them one game this year (Tennessee).....

And they are 6-6...... Let's have a parade. Doesn't it get old after a while? This has been pretty much the same old same old.... The pre-season issues was all about could the offense do enough as the Bills had a #1 defense.

The defense has won them one game this year (Tennessee).....

Wow they beat Hoyer & the dominant Texans at home..... Sorry that I expect more.