Tyler Dunne's TBN Story on Marcell Dareus

@TyDunne

Everyone close to #Bills DT Marcell Dareus keeps dying. This the burden he carries, daily, here in Buffalo. http://bit.ly/1INktfv

The 6-foot-3, 325-pound man straps on his white Nikes, slips into a gray “Bills” cut-off T-shirt and turns out of the locker room. He’s hulking. Filthy rich. Laughing. Indeed, Marcell Dareus appears immune to pain of any sort, be it physical, emotional, psychological.

The Buffalo Bills defensive tackle trucks to the back corner of the fieldhouse at One Bills Drive and takes the seat on the bed of a golf cart, arms crossed.

Begin a question with “Everybody close to you … ” and Dareus cuts in.

“Falls off.”

Once you peel back this outer layer of joy, there’s this chilling truth: Everybody close to Dareus dies. His father, his grandmother, his grandfather, his mother, his mentor, his brother, close friends. All gone. You’re damn right he’s dejected, depressed.

“Every day. Still to this day. Still to this day. Every day.”

His investment banker had a stroke when the contract money came in as well but he survived, like Dareus will for the rest of his life. This boohoo stuff from an incredibly successful dream of career and money doesn't play, it's hard for the rest of us as well.

All my love to his family now and those who surround round him.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

His investment banker had a stroke when the contract money came in as well but he survived, like Dareus will for the rest of his life. This boohoo stuff from an incredibly successful dream of career and money doesn't play, it's hard for the rest of us as well.

This is officially the stupidest reply I have seen in 11 years on this board. Sure glad I am not in your family, gotta feeling the insurance money mean more to you than family

This is officially the stupidest reply I have seen in 11 years on this board. Sure glad I am not in your family, gotta feeling the insurance money mean more to you than family

Actually, my family is quite well protected and loved. It's hard for me to sympathize with professional athletes over the loss of anything but children, that I can relate too. He lost the presence of other adults which really sucks but he'll live is my point.

Actually, my family is quite well protected and loved. It's hard for me to sympathize with professional athletes over the loss of anything but children, that I can relate too. He lost the presence of other adults which really sucks but he'll live is my point.

I was not going to respond to your post, but now feel obligated because I read the first as Hee Haw.

Let me get this straight. The fact that he is a professional athlete makes you less empathetic towards his plight because of the money he has made and then you go on and add that his tragedy is not "real" because he has not lost any children. I feel sad for you if that is your take on other human beings who feel hardship and personal pain just like the rest of us, but who have persevered through unbelievably tragic circumstances from an early age and have gone on to better themselves and their families through sports at the professional level.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

I was not going to respond to your post, but now feel obligated because I read the first as Hee Haw.

Let me get this straight. The fact that he is a professional athlete makes you less empathetic towards his plight because of the money he has made and then you go on and add that his tragedy is not "real" because he has not lost any children. I feel sad for you if that is your take on other human beings who feel hardship and personal pain just like the rest of us, but who have persevered through unbelievably tragic circumstances from an early age and have gone on to better themselves and their families through sports at the professional level.

Dude, the guy was born a giant and made the best of bad things. We all had bad things happen to all of us, he just makes more in a year than most do in a lifetime. Cry me a green river to the bank, he manned up and dealt with his stuff / got paid huge. Much respect towards him and the family / friends.

Go Bills.

Agree - very embarrassing to this board, not to mention childish and narrow minded!

What is going on with this board!!

Dude, the guy was born a giant and made the best of bad things. We all had bad things happen to all of us, he just makes more in a year than most do in a lifetime. Cry me a green river to the bank, he manned up and dealt with his stuff / got paid huge. Much respect towards him and the family / friends.

Go Bills.

Dude....he lost his father at 8, his mother at 21 and then his brother is murdered over a $40 bag of weed. Yes, we have all had bad things happen, but very few on a scale of this magnitude, which was why the article was so moving.

Well, MMDT is just back from a long vacation and he probably doesn't have his posting legs underneath himself yet. Hopefully he travels to Oz and finds a heart too.

1) I don't think it has helped that he has had a turnover in coordinators every year. And, the Marrone influence was probably a double edged sword - both good and bad. It likely filled in as a father figure role.

2) I hope he is getting help. Talking to someone. Sure, I was never a pro but the sports field to me was always a place to escape the reality of the world. My sophomore year a very dear friend, role model and more killed himself in the season. It shook me up for a week, it shook a lot of people up. His brothers included; both played for a different school - one an OC and the other the K. Both ended up not practicing all week than playing Friday night having terrific and emotional games; even after the school almost cancelled the game.

3) Something is still off with him this year and I cannot be certain where to pin it. It's in play.

I enjoyed this board more during your absence.

If your first response to someone else's tragedy is "so what, he has it better than me" than you have a miserable soul. Your response is so bad it actually ruined my lunch break.

Nice work.