Why Tyrod is our franchise QB heading into next year

So far he's 5-4 as a starter and on pace to be 1 game over .500 (like Orton last season).

Actually we were 2 games over .500 in the games Kyle started. 7-5. We were 2-2 in the ones EJ started.

Our defense and special teams let us down in that game. Not Taylor and the offense.

They both did. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does ok the rest of the season by staying healthy he has good potential.

He needs a better OL to have a running game.

If the Bills draft another QB high , Taylor still needs to be the starter next season for a new QB to learn at the right pace.

People throw the word "franchise" around a little too loose.....

It's a bogus term anyway. Everyone has their own opinion of what it is (except me because I think it's dumb). Cracks me up that people get so wound around the axle on this one.

Who do you think deserves the lion's share of blame?

Matthew Stafford?

Hopefully as he grows more comfortable with the offense his being able to read the defense comes. He's the best QB we've had in quite some time. His athleticism opens up the field that much more. I just hope he can start to make the correct pre-snap reads, look off defenders, and start delivering his passes more on time.

CH- I agree but I'm speculating it is a trust factor from the coaches. Whether it's Roman or Rex, I think he's being coached not to throw the higher risk over the middle throws. Why? I don't know as he is accurate on the toughest throws which are the deep out routes.

Why aren't we designing a ton of pick plays and cross cross over the middle with Clay and Hogan. It doesn't make sense. We could take a lot of pressure off of not only TT, but also McCoy and make it even easier to drive yards from the run. I don't get it.

this franchise needs to focus on QB and keep focusing on QB till we get one that can be consistently good, which then helps us improve the depth at the position as well.

It could be argued that we have been concentrating on it pretty heavily since 2013. Since then we've had a bunch of QBs get a look AND drafted one in the first round after a masterful trade down by Whaley.

Tarvaris Jackson

Fitz

EJ Manuel

Jeff Tuel

Kevin Kolb

Thaddeus Lewis

Dennis Dixon

Matt Cassell

Josh Johnson

Vaughan

Matt Flynn

Tyrod Taylor

Kyle Orton

Of those 13, 8 are still on NFL rosters and 4 have started NFL games this year. That's an average 4.33 QBs brought in per year.

I expect to see Whaley very diligent in the off season to find a really good one someway somehow. May not be successful, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Edited by reddogblitz

TT will be in camp next year as our clear cut starter and smoke everyone else competing for the job, doesn't matter who we draft or pick up in FA. He's already shown that he doesn't turn the ball over, he can win with his legs (Titans game), and for the majority of his throws he has a very nice touch on the long ball. And he's a great kid who wants to lead and win games.

Whaley will fix the RT issue, and Roman's system won't be so new to everyone.

Our offense next year will be good enough, I'm not worried.

Instead of saying "franchise" qb why not just say "starting qb" going into next year

People throw the word "franchise" around a little too loose.....which agitates some of our fellow bills fans (understandably) because Tyrod has NOT shown that he is a franchise QB yet.

He is young....this is his first year starting.....franchise QBs take the team on their back and win games even when other people are playing like crap.

That is too much to throw on Tyrod right now.

and yes....another qb should absolutely be drafted

This^^^

and This^^^ again

Stick with Tyrod, cut EJ, bring in Kapernick for competition, draft one. May the best player win.

It could be argued that we have been concentrating on it pretty heavily since 2013. Since then we've had a bunch of QBs get a look AND drafted one in the first round after a masterful trade down by Whaley.

Tarvaris Jackson

Fitz

EJ Manuel

Jeff Tuel

Kevin Kolb

Thaddeus Lewis

Dennis Dixon

Matt Cassell

Josh Johnson

Vaughan

Matt Flynn

Tyrod Taylor

Kyle Orton

Of those 136, 8 are still on NFL rosters and 4 have started NFL games this year. That's an average 4.33 QBs brought in per year.

I expect to see Whaley very diligent in the off season to find a really good one someway somehow. May not be successful, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Great batting averages, terrible win percentage.

I'm willing to say he's the QB of the Franchise heading into next season. That's it at this juncture with some positive signs and much more to improve upon moving forward. I want to see whole field reads in the future with the ability to make all types of throws accurately from the pocket.

dont need a franchise quarterback.....i need a starting qb..and that he is. Hes had good games, hes had descent games, hes had growing pains of a first time starter- we are fine at qb and unlike other positions this one will get better for a while. why would you touch a poor attitude like Kaep...if im OC i dont want that dude anywhere near my offense....5% chance of an upside.....not worth it

Edited by CardinalScotts

Why not? He's currently the 5th rated quarterback in the NFL and he's still learning and gaining experience.

* when he throws for less than 20 passes per game

Link please... I want to see if the guy who is 5 of 6 w/wa rating of 150 is still 2nd best.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If our defense was half the defense it was last year nobody is questioning Tyrod as a starter because we're winning more games. Tyrod is doing what we need him too. Not turn the ball over and hit on big plays. Yes he does need to see the middle of the field more, but he is not the problem. The problem is the lack of discipline at all levels from stupid penalties, to missed challenges, and defensive breakdowns. No discipline.

If our defense was half the defense it was last year nobody is questioning Tyrod as a starter because we're winning more games. Tyrod is doing what we need him too. Not turn the ball over and hit on big plays. Yes he does need to see the middle of the field more, but he is not the problem. The problem is the lack of discipline at all levels from stupid penalties, to missed challenges, and defensive breakdowns. No discipline.

Excuses excuses.

A Franchise QB can carry a lackluster defense. See Drew Brees, Peyton Manning (not 2015) and Andrew Luck types.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If our defense was half the defense it was last year nobody is questioning Tyrod as a starter because we're winning more games. Tyrod is doing some of what we need him to, but not everything. Not turn the ball over and hit on big plays. Yes he does need to see the middle of the field more, but he is not the problem. The problem is the lack of discipline at all levels from stupid penalties, to missed challenges, and defensive breakdowns. No discipline.

FTFY.