A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

KC and Buf as the wild cards.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Five loss Jets get sixth loss against us. Would have to beat Pats and Giants to get to 10-6 and then lose head to head with us.

Five loss Steelers have Colts, Bengals, Broncos. If they lose any two or lose to the Broncos we win the tie breaker.

Five loss Texans get sixth loss against us, lose to Colts or leapfrog them for division and we win tie breaker against Colts

There are a couple scenarios where we could be eliminated by the Steelers at 10-6, but involves very specific combinations of things.

And even though there are a couple 9-7 paths, that isn't something I want to attach any hopes to, so right now we have to get to 6-6 on Sunday no matter what.

#WeAreOnToHouston

i like that it's possible but the Bills haven't won 3 games in a row this season, let alone 5.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bills are going to lose at home to the Texans next Sunday and all hell is going to break loose at TBD...

If that happens all hell will break loose, but only Sunday and Monday. There will be the requisite fire Ryan/Roman/Whaley/Carpenter and some others threads, and of course the ones about how the officiating cost the Bills the game. But starting Tuesday or so things will calm down and the thoughts will turn to next season. A short lived hell breaking loose if you will ;)

Oh and I almost forgot the threads on how the Bills aren't mathematically eliminated yet!

Edited by CodeMonkey

A sad day. 50 years I have suffered and every week I still get all excited. I believe there is something wrong with me. I didn't like the Rex hire to begin with and before the season started he snowed me enough where I thought I might be wrong. Sad to think I was correct. After all these years he has blown to many opportunities and all the excuses make him even more of a poor coach. Jets were lucky. Sad!

If that happens all hell will break loose, but only Sunday and Monday. There will be the requisite fire Ryan/Roman/Whaley/Carpenter and some others threads, and of course the ones about how the officiating cost the Bills the game. But starting Tuesday or so things will calm down and the thoughts will turn to next season. A short lived hell breaking loose if you will ;)

Oh and I almost forgot the threads on how the Bills aren't mathematically eliminated yet!

You forgot that we should play EJso we are really sure ion what we have with him. He hasn't even had a full offseason as the starter and hasn't started a full season...

by giving some gobbledeygook answers about what went wrong today; talking about some schemes in Coach-babble while heaping praise on the Chiefs for "making a few more plays than we did". And his answers for challenging or not challenging certain plays were laughable.

I was driving home from Florida to GA today during the game and was able to sneak in some peeks on my phone. My main takeaways from this team, this year, are as follows:

• complete underachievement of the talent on this roster, due in part to the neutering of the D by Rex's imposition of his vision (square peg/round hole) - then an admission around week 10 that he did it incorrectly. Great game plan against Brady, then the Bills can't lay a hand on Alex Smith.
  • The players like Rex b/c he creates a warm familial feeling, but holds no one to account and refuses to call anyone out publicly, except the kicker. Yeah, that works Rex.
  • Complete lack of discipline and self-control which leads to way too many penalties esp. at the worst times. This lack of discipline invites mistakes and permeates itself from the top down. There is a reason why the best teams find ways to win & the worst ones find ways to lose, like today. Case in point on the dropped INTs and potential pick 6's.
  • It dawned on me today with one word: PROFESSIONALISM. There is something critical missing with this team. This team has talent but is not professional in conducting its business, and is not put in positions to maximize its skill sets. This is directly on Rex and his staff; i.e., calling a sweep around left end for Cement Shoes Boobie? Even Rich Gannon sniffed that one out quickly. Not getting the ball to Sammy in 2H was criminal; Roman had a hot hand with Sammy and lost it. He could have used a myriad of means to get him the ball: bubble screens, quick slants/outs, etc. It's a stark indictment when Gannon calls out the Bills for not having 20 scripted plays for Sammy.
  • As I mentioned in another thread, sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer, but color me unimpressed that the Steelers lost. How pathetic that we have to hope/pray on others' outcomes so the Bills can maybe, just possibly, backdoor into to the last WC spot. And all the talk of how "easy" the Bills remaining schedule is; seriously? If nothing else, this team and its consistent underachievement should not give anyone pause for assuming anything. How far we have fallen that we used to win our division in the 90s and now we have to just have to settle for a sniff of the second WC, which seems like a complete longshot after giveaways like today's.

i like that it's possible but the Bills haven't won 3 games in a row this season, let alone 5.

No chance they can win five or three games in a row this weekend. And any team trying to is going to get beat, which is why the "win out" and "this is our first playoff game" stuff shouldn't go anywhere.

What they can do is win Sunday. Of our final six games, @Chiefs was the hardest. If we were going to go 5-1 over those and not 6-0, that was the game we were most likely to lose. Doesn't mean we should have and doesn't mean it sits well.

But what they can do is win a winnable game against a very hot but very average Houston team that has a four game winning streak, but doesn't really deserve a five game winning streak.

Getting ahead of ourselves to beating the 4-7 Eagles backup QB after they have just been blown out by Tampa and Detroit is worrying too far ahead.

Thinking about beating the 5-6 Redskins and hoping they play like the team Miami and the Jets and the Falcons all beat is way too far ahead.

Preparing to take on the now 3-8 soon to be 3-11 Matt Cassel led Cowboys is really not the thing to prepare for this week.

And thinking of feasting on the Jets at home with the season on the line to make the playoffs would be a silly approach this week.

They have one thing to do and one thing only. Prepare to score more points than the Texans and find a way to make them look like the 2-5 team that Miami put up 44 against one month ago and leave the Ralph with their heads bowed and burst their bubble of a win streak.

If we can't beat the Texans in our place with the season on the line, then we don't really have much reason to think about those other four games and the playoffs. They have a very good and hot defense lead by a very good player. But their offense is suspect and Rex can and will pressure Hoyer. Let's find a way to get to 6-6 before worrying about why that is actually going to be a pretty good place to be.

#WeAreOnToHouston

by giving some gobbledeygook answers about what went wrong today; talking about some schemes in Coach-babble while heaping praise on the Chiefs for "making a few more plays than we did". And his answers for challenging or not challenging certain plays were laughable.

I was driving home from Florida to GA today during the game and was able to sneak in some peeks on my phone. My main takeaways from this team, this year, are as follows:

• complete underachievement of the talent on this roster, due in part to the neutering of the D by Rex's imposition of his vision (square peg/round hole) - then an admission around week 10 that he did it incorrectly. Great game plan against Brady, then the Bills can't lay a hand on Alex Smith.
  • The players like Rex b/c he creates a warm familial feeling, but holds no one to account and refuses to call anyone out publicly, except the kicker. Yeah, that works Rex.
  • Complete lack of discipline and self-control which leads to way too many penalties esp. at the worst times. This lack of discipline invites mistakes and permeates itself from the top down. There is a reason why the best teams find ways to win & the worst ones find ways to lose, like today. Case in point on the dropped INTs and potential pick 6's.
  • It dawned on me today with one word: PROFESSIONALISM. There is something critical missing with this team. This team has talent but is not professional in conducting its business, and is not put in positions to maximize its skill sets. This is directly on Rex and his staff; i.e., calling a sweep around left end for Cement Shoes Boobie? Even Rich Gannon sniffed that one out quickly. Not getting the ball to Sammy in 2H was criminal; Roman had a hot hand with Sammy and lost it. He could have used a myriad of means to get him the ball: bubble screens, quick slants/outs, etc. It's a stark indictment when Gannon calls out the Bills for not having 20 scripted plays for Sammy.
  • As I mentioned in another thread, sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer, but color me unimpressed that the Steelers lost. How pathetic that we have to hope/pray on others' outcomes so the Bills can maybe, just possibly, backdoor into to the last WC spot. And all the talk of how "easy" the Bills remaining schedule is; seriously? If nothing else, this team and its consistent underachievement should not give anyone pause for assuming anything. How far we have fallen that we used to win our division in the 90s and now we have to just have to settle for a sniff of the second WC, which seems like a complete longshot after giveaways like today's.

That Boobie Sweep was a special moment. Surely that's not in the playbook for Boobie. He must have been as stunned as we were. Next week: Richie Incognito reports as an eligible TE.

That Boobie Sweep was a special moment. Surely that's not in the playbook for Boobie. He must have been as stunned as we were.

My kids and I surmised the crowd noise made TT hear the play wrong on his radio ;)

We replayed it 2 or 3 times thinking it was a rare sight not likely seen again in our lifetimes ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

That Boobie Sweep was a special moment. Surely that's not in the playbook for Boobie. He must have been as stunned as we were. Next week: Richie Incognito reports as an eligible TE.

Actually this is evn worse. Roman was the OC on the 49ers when Boobie was there...

Roman the 'F&$k!ng Idiot' (copyright DC Tom) should know better than to run that play with his cement cleats...

Gannon said it about 20 times: Aren't there 20 plays centered around getting Watkins the ball? Couldn't he be put in motion just once? Set up a WR screen. Run a pick play. At half time I was thinking that all they had to do was just keep letting him get chances and he would make plays.

Then comes the second half and time and again, I'd see Watkins on one side and Taylor not even look to Sammy. I blame Taylor some but I've got to blame Roman more. There need to be "Get Sammy the ball" plays.

Lucy is holding the football for Charlie Brown right now. Bills will win next 3 and get our hopes up only to screw us. It's coming Bills fans. Brace for the rise of hope followed by it getting dashed on the rocks.

I can only think that Roman or Ryan instilled in this kid (Tyrod) to not turn the ball over, and not ruin the season for the team like Geno Smith did last season with all his turnovers. If it was Rex Ryan it would fit with his distraught in blaming last years Jets 4-12 record all on Geno Smith. Or Taylor is just so afraid to throw into double coverage, and would prefer just to throw to the safer single covered receivers in fear of getting intercepted. He sure didn't do that in the second half!

For the life of me I simply can't comprehend not throwing the ball to Sammy Watkins more then once the entire second half considering what he was able to do in the first half. I wouldn't care if they had 5 defenders on Sammy I'd be getting him the ball!! The Bills offense dominated the first half of that Chief game in ToP nearly 20 min to 10 min, and then inexplicably laid an egg in the second half

We fans really need to find out what the problem is with this scenario! Is it Taylor? Is it Roman? I mean Watkins has no control of how many times Taylor chooses to throw to him. I don't really want to read that its all because Tyrod is simply taking what the defense 'gives him" because of course the opposing team would rather see the ball in Hogans hands over Watkins. This doesn't stop every other team / QB in the NFL from continually finding their best receiver. its the OC's & QB's job to get the ball to the most explosive play maker!

If its Taylor the Bills need to draft someone who will throw to the super star receiver all game long, and not just when he looks open or it suits him! If its Roman the Bills need to fire his ass, and hire someone with the intelligence to find ways to get Watkins at the very least 10 touches a game! Just an FYI that Sammy Watkins has yet to see 10 touches in a game this season, and has only seen 10 targets once this year.

To put that in perspective WR DeAndre Hopkins of the Houston Texans has seen the ball as many as 22 targets in a game, and no fewer the 8 targets. Up until this past week Hopkins was seeing more then 11 targets a game. And a reminder that the Texans QB's have been Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, CJ Yates, and each and every one has thrown at least 11 times a game to Hopkins despite the coverage's.