Punt Return

OhDozeBills

Leodis scares me on punt returns and isn't getting the job done. He looks very unsure of himself and is costing us valuable yards. He's fair catching when there's plenty of room to run, has let the ball go a few times because he misjudged it and isn't really catching the ball clean when he does. I think we need a change here and my vote would be to give Robert Woods a shot. He's not as much of a threat for the big return but think he would be steady and have some nice returns in the 10-20 yard range. Anyone have thoughts on who we should give a shot?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leodis scares me on punt returns and isn't getting the job done. He looks very unsure of himself and is costing us valuable yards. He's fair catching when there's plenty of room to run, has let the ball go a few times because he misjudged it and isn't really catching the ball clean when he does. I think we need a change here and my vote would be to give Robert Woods a shot. He's not as much of a threat for the big return but think he would be steady and have some nice returns in the 10-20 yard range. Anyone have thoughts on who we should give a shot?

Not unreasonable. I used to return punts and my coaches always said the most important thing a PR does is catch the ball. This of course means not letting it roll as well as not muffing it. Leodis has done that and it hurts. However, the PR is a game changer and he has the ability. I'd like to Watkins do it myself.

Edited by The Thurmanator

I like the idea of woods. PR needs to catch it and get some yards. A home run threat is nice but Leodis is tied for 39th all time with 3... It's a once a season thing at best.

Karlos Williams or McCoy strike me as interesting options but since RBs already get so beat up, I doubt this is viable long term.

Denarius Moore was doing it and seemed a bit shakey as well. They also won't risk injury to key players like Sammy and McCoy. That's why Woods comes to mind. Perhaps you give Leo one more shot since he's likely rusty for being out so long but if I don't see improvement I would make a change. Thigpen was great last year but either lost a step or just didn't have the opportunity with poor blocking but would still be more comfortable with him than Leo right now.

Why would you say Woods would be better than Leodis? Woods has returned 1 punt in his NFL career. I'm very glad Moore is no longer returning punts, as he seemed to have troubles including but not limited to: cleanly catching the punt, estimating if he had room to return it or if he should fair catch it, and making a fair catch inside the 10 yard line.

Leodis has proven he's a good punt returner, with 3 career PR touchdowns and 1 KO return touchdown.

No thigpen was good. They let him go and sign denarious Moore who stunk it up for a coupes weeks, including loosing a fumble I. His first game as a bill

We should bring thigpen back if we can

We should bring thigpen back if we can

Thigpen wasn't good this year. He had the great play last year vs GB but unless I'm forgetting something he did nothing this year before he got cut

This topic reminds me of that stupid decision of him his rookie year running out the return vs. taking a knee and running out the clock on the Patriots in 09. We had that damn game, and he blew it just like he did in the Chiefs game fumbling that ball. Everyone remembers last year's Bryce Brown fumble, but he sealed it with his fumble on the return.

I don't trust him on returns. If Woods was good at it at USC, that sounds good to me. I wonder if any of our other DB's would be good in this role. Darby, Gilmore, Robey, Rambo. They all are talented. My guess is Robey with his speed and change of direction could do the job well.

This topic reminds me of that stupid decision of him his rookie year running out the return vs. taking a knee and running out the clock on the Patriots in 09. We had that damn game, and he blew it just like he did in the Chiefs game fumbling that ball. Everyone remembers last year's Bryce Brown fumble, but he sealed it with his fumble on the return.

I don't trust him on returns. If Woods was good at it at USC, that sounds good to me. I wonder if any of our other DB's would be good in this role. Darby, Gilmore, Robey, Rambo. They all are talented. My guess is Robey with his speed and change of direction could do the job well.

Those are my thoughts too on Leodis! Woods seems like the best overall option.

Not unreasonable. I used to return punts and my coaches always said the most important thing a PR does is catch the ball. This of course means not letting it roll as well as not muffing it. Leodis has done that and it hurts. However, the PR is a game changer and he has the ability. I'd like to Watkins do it myself.

So, things have come full circle, and we're back to a "Punt Catcher"? Ahh, those were the days. Almost brings a tear to my eye....