Carbonated Beverages

Beverages  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call carbonated beverages?

After 20 years away I always ask for a Coke, then soda. Southerners just don't understand pop. Well a little with Wegmans and all with its W pop do they still call it that?

I have to look at the signs in the store in VA. I think it says soda while up in Webster the sign says POP.

Was always pop growing up in WNY. Quickly turned to soda when I ended up stationed in NC. They don't know what you're talking about in the south if you say pop.

In Texas it's all coke.

Coca-cola = coke.

Sprite = coke.

Pepsi = coke.

They know what pop is, just give me tons of **** when I order it, but I don't care. Usually, I'll just call it what it is, but when that's not an option, I call it pop.

Was always pop growing up in WNY. Quickly turned to soda when I ended up stationed in NC. They don't know what you're talking about in the south if you say pop.

with so many yanks in NC you'd think they'd have adapted by now.

In Texas it's all coke.

Coca-cola = coke.

Sprite = coke.

Pepsi = coke.

They know what pop is, just give me tons of **** when I order it, but I don't care. Usually, I'll just call it what it is, but when that's not an option, I call it pop.

the powdery stuff right ??

Coke.

But I am specific if I want other stuff-- like if I want Sprite, I say Sprite.

By the way, after being a daily coke zero drinker, I haven't had a carbonated beverage in 3 months (except sparkling water). Part of my diet/exercise plan.

I actually lost 56 pounds, and the only major change I made was switching from regular Coke to Coke Zero.

Already been studied to death. Go here--

www.PopVsSoda.com

Check that site out! The debate is broken down by every county in The Nation. Growing up I called it "pop"... I would even say: "Coke." That's crazy for a Northern like me! Now, I mainly say: "soda" even though the MidWest here is: "pop."

Pop

Soda

Coke

Other: Like "tonic" or "seltzer"... Effing New Englanders gotta be different!!

/end_thread

None of these.

I call it what it is.

A coke is a coke.

A Sprite is a sprite.

A Pepsi is a pepsi.

A Dr Pepper is a Dr Pepper.

Crazy Texas! :-P

My sister worked with a lady from Atlanta... @ The Mayo Clinic when she lived in Minnesota. One time my sister was going for a "pop" @ the vending machine and asked the lady from Atlanta what she wanted, Miss Atlanta replied: "A Coke." My sister brought her back a Coke. The Lady was slightly miffed... She said she wanted an "Orange Crush!" Huh!!!!! Crazy Southerners!!!! ;-) :-P

Amen, sister. People need to be specific when it comes to their drinks!

Yeah... But she lives in the heart of the "Dr. Pepper Belt." There is a reason for that. If you go to Wegman's and are picking something up... Get me a "W Pop." Or how about a Faygo Cola.

Name brands are okay when you are specific and want an RC. Yet, I think the OP is referring to what people generaize the name to be. I go out and want a 7-Up... I say... I say that... Or Sprite. I don't say "Lemon-Like Sodapop."

Just common sense. I take what they have and be happy.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah... But she lives in the heart of the "Dr. Pepper Belt." There is a reason for that. If you go to Wegman's and are picking something up... Get me a "W Pop." Or how about a Faygo Cola.

Name brands are okay when you are specific and want an RC. Yet, I think the OP is referring to what people generaize the name to be. I go out and want a 7-Up... I say... I say that... Or Sprite. I don't say "Lemon-Like Sodapop."

Just common sense. I take what they have and be happy.

I hear ya. Regarding generics though, I refer to the brand. So WOP is "Coke."