Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Tonight’s Game

Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Tonights Game

10) Wow, I dont know about you, but this game aged me a full decade. For a moment in the 3rd quarter it looked like it might turn into a blowout, then, after that muffed punt, it looked for sure like the Jets would pull it out.

In the end, the Bills did just enough to win and after what went down in London I think I speak for all Bills fans when I say, Well take that, thank you very much.

9) The defense won this game for the Bills, without a doubt. Down Kyle Williams going in and then losing Mario Williams to illness, Buffalo needed the other players on the defensive side of the ball to come up big and they delivered in spades.

They bent in the 4th quarter, but they came up big with two 4th down stands and 4 turnovers.

8) Ronald Darby is the real deal. Number 28 was like a bottle of super glue tonight. What a great draft pick by Doug Whaley. We truly have two shutdown corners and that should lend itself well to the cold weather football coming up.

7) How about the game delivered by Bacarri Rambo? He goes quiet for a few games, but when he decides to be a factor in the game he is a turnover maker.

6) Shady McCoy had a monster game today. Time and time again he made like Harry Houdini on his way to 112 yards on 19 carries. He also caught 5 balls for another 47 yards.

Most importantly he looks fully healed from the leg injury that slowed him through much of the first half of the season and has that burst that had Philly fans crying when he was dealt for a certain linebacker of few words.

5) What can you say about Karlos Williams. His 26 yard scoring catch was not only Buffalos only offensive TD, but it tied him with Robert Edwards of the 1998 *Patriots as the only player to start their NFL careers with TDs in his first 6 games.

How in the hell did he last to the 5th round of the draft? What a steal.

4) Although he only caught 3 passes for 14 yards, Sammy Watkins greatly influenced this game by moving the sticks on a couple of crucial 3rd down plays.

Sometimes its the little things that matter and Sammy did them well tonight.

3) Tyrod was under immense pressure all night and had a pedestrian game. That said, he finished with a 91.3 QB rating. We went through years of begging for any QB to get a rating in the 90s - on their best games.

Tyrod doesnt make the big error and that is big for his team.

2) You had to feel great for Rex Ryan tonight. He goes back into the hotbed of Gang Green and sticks it to his old team (despite the mismanagement of time outs and challenges). He spent all week telling anyone that would listen that it was just another game, but you know deep down he wanted this one badly.

And in true Rex fashion he had a great zinger concerning his decision to break with tradition and not come out for pre-game warm-ups:

Rex Ryan: "You guys made this game all about me. That's why I stayed in for [pregame warmups]. It had jack **** to do about me."

1) The bottom line is that the Christmas color game is over and the Bills playoffs hopes are alive and well after a second straight divisional win. The Sabres withstood a furious Florida Panther flurry in the last minute to win their 4th game out of 5 - so it was truly a great One Buffalo night.

Next up is a Monday night showdown in Foxboro. What the hell, taking down *New Englands perfect season sounds pretty good to me. You in?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Credit to Ryan, he didn't have his team overhyping this game like he wrongfully did against the Patriots. Several things concerned me about his coaching abilities, his record after the bye, his bipolar ways after a win and giving other teams extra motivation with his mouth. Lets hope this win clears his head and he becomes more aware of his flaws.

I noticed less chatting and arm flapping before the opponent snap. The communication on defense has been better the last couple of weeks.

Fitz was Fitz and Gailey was Gailey and Rex handled the press beautifully. The press tried to get him riled and get a great story. Watching TV today, they are pissed she didn't talk to them.

Edited by Wacka

It was an ugly game played in which neither team really deserved to win. It is easy to see why New England has dominated the division for 15 years. They play smarter period. The victory was achieved in spite of the Bills coaching and not because of it. I could list at least 10 egregious (avoidable) errors that the Bills coaches committed. What team blows all their timeouts by the beginning of the 4th quarter? Inexcusable!

Fortunately, the Jets were terrible too! The turnovers were decisive.

In the end, it is a victory, but the Bills have massive room for improvement in the coaching department. At times the players on the field looked totally confused from the lack of direction coming from the sidelines. If the team hopes to progress, this team needs better discipline, organization and leadership.

BTW, the TV coverage (before and during the game) was horrible. It was like a Rex Ryan documentary. Pure overkill by the media.

- Darby might be our best player. He's all over his man every play. Solid tackler and humble. He's my next jersey, no question.

- Corey Graham might be our 2nd best player. He's all over the field. Great tackler and one of the best cover safeties in the league. He has a knack for being around the ball.

- it's apparent why shady was paid what he's paid. He's a truly special talent. Burst and jukes are the best in the NFL IMO.

- I love the way Tyrod lets his passes rip. May not always be on the mark, but he gives his WRs a chance to make a play.

- karlos is the perfect compliment to shady. I believe we have the best rb tandem in the NFL.

- Clay is the best run after the catch TE in the league and one of the best the league has ever seen. Keeps a low center of gravity and has cutback ability most big men don't have.

- Fitz was Fitz when the game was in the line. He's awful in the clutch 9-10 times. Ending the game with a pick on a potential game winning drive. We've see it many times before. Glad he's a Jet.

- I hate running a goaline offense rb dive on 3rd and 1. May work for other teams. Rarely for us. Put the ball in TTs hands and let him make a play.

It was an ugly game played in which neither team really deserved to win. It is easy to see why New England has dominated the division for 15 years. They play smarter period. The victory was achieved in spite of the Bills coaching and not because of it. I could list at least 10 egregious (avoidable) errors that the Bills coaches committed. What team blows all their timeouts by the beginning of the 4th quarter? Inexcusable!

Fortunately, the Jets were terrible too! The turnovers were decisive.

In the end, it is a victory, but the Bills have massive room for improvement in the coaching department. At times the players on the field looked totally confused from the lack of direction coming from the sidelines. If the team hopes to progress, this team needs better discipline, organization and leadership.

BTW, the TV coverage (before and during the game) was horrible. It was like a Rex Ryan documentary. Pure overkill by the media.

I think this explains the sideline confusion and blitz through the time outs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14120866/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-again-frustrated-headset-issues

Also should have mentioned that Fitz was the Fitz we know and loathed in Buffalo. Lots of errant passes with a couple of big plays mixed in for good measure.

As I watched the game with my buddy (he had NFL Network) I observed 4 things from Fitz that explained why he has played for 4 teams in 4 years.

1) badly under thrown long ball.

2) I can't remember, damn it.

3) overthrew wide open receiver in the end zone.

4) interception to end any chance of a comeback and the game.